fragile hi-tech material as carry-on luggage?

Hello Dear readers,

This is my first post here and this will be my first ever cruise in June 2015 and a big one that is, a Transatlantic cruise on QM2 to Southampton! I am getting pretty excited about it but I also have some questions unanswered and I was thinking I might receive some kind help from experienced travelers here!

I have a question concerning luggages. I am planning to travel with expensive and fragile pieces of equipment including a laptop and a small keyboard for music production (a pretty expensive one though…). I am able to carry everything on a backpack and small bag like regular carry-on luggages you would see at airports. I understand that at embarkation and disembarkation, your luggages are taken away from you and handled through security check until they appear in your cabin. I don’t mind this for my main luggage (containing clothes etc…) but I would prefer nobody to handle my very fragile and sensitive material cited above but myself.

So my question is: can I keep these carry-on luggages with me all the time and go through security check with them (like I would do at any airport?). Or do all luggages (whatever the size and what they carry) have to be handled by Cunard personnel and be taken away from my supervision? I am a little bit nervous about this idea…

Thanks a lot for your help!

Welcome to Cruise Critic, good choice for your first trip.

Carry on is treated like an airport (without the size and liquid restrictions). You put it through the scanner yourself and there should be no need for anyone else to handle it.

Thanks a lot everyone for your fast and helpful answers!

Now, I have additional questions concerning carry-on luggages...

Do I need to use the Tags I have been sent by Cunard for them too or are those only for checked-in luggages that are handled by Cunard personnel?

Also, is there a 20kgs restriction for carry-on luggages or does that concern only checked-in luggages? In other terms, as long as I am able to carry my carry-on luggages myself, is there a weight or size restriction applied to them?

Thanks again!

If you can lift something up onto the scanner and it will fit through, I don't think there is any problem bringing heavier items as carry-ons.

I have seen people boarding with collapsable-wheeled-carry things that they put their three cases of ginger-ale onto.

…Just everything lifted up by you (not staff) and fitting through the scanner.

I have met fellow passengers in the past who used the QM2 for crossings in order to bring such things as expensive musical instruments back to the USA.

If you have questions on the scanner's exact size, call the port and ask questions. I imagine it's the same as at an airport, but I don't fly so really can't say.

You don't have to use Cunard luggage tags on stuff you hand-carry, but you do on belongings that you leave at the terminal entrance with the bag handlers.

Thanks Jimmy for this very informative message.

I will double check for the scanner size, great idea!

You are welcome and I want to add my welcome to CC.

This might be helpful to know as well. The cruise terminal in Brooklyn has elevators as well as escalators (for getting up to the ship's level). I don't know if your items would be difficult to handle on an escalator. Any terminal personal can direct you to where the elevators are located.

We called the port at Red Hook (Brooklyn) to ask about parking our car for the month we were planning to be overseas. The person my husband spoke with was very helpful. Found their phone number on-line.

It might be easier (if maneuvering your belongings will be challenging) to arrive at the terminal a bit earlier or later for the boarding process. It can be rather crowded between 12:00 and 1:30, from my experience.

Once you get aboard and stow your stuff, I believe you will find traveling on the QM2 a very nice thing to do!

The scanners at the Brooklyn embarkation terminal actually have taller openings than at the airport; for example I'm quite sure you can pass a case of wine through them with the bottles upright.

Edited by Underwatr

The scanners at the Brooklyn embarkation terminal actually have taller openings than at the airport; for example I'm quite sure you can pass a case of wine through them with the bottles upright.

Thanks Underwatr. Other than my laptop's backpack, my other bigger bag is 63x40x18 cm / 24.8x15.75x7.09 inchess exactly. I believe it might fit into the scanner.

By the way, I've seen there is a similar post at this address:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1828483

It seems travelers are carrying all kinds of stuff with them. One person warns against porters who seem to be very fast at taking away your belongings also!

Hi, EuropeanAmericanTraveller. You should have no problem on either embarkation or disembarking. I carry a delicate and fragile piece of medical equipment as hand baggage and have never had a problem. It is never taken from me, I simply put it into the large tray provided or just put it on the belt and it goes through the x-ray equipment without a problem. I put it on and I take it off - no problems.

My only advice is obviously don't put it in the hold -that's another story.

Enjoy your cruise - you'll be back.

Thanks Underwatr. Other than my laptop's backpack, my other bigger bag is 63x40x18 cm / 24.8x15.75x7.09 inchess exactly. I believe it might fit into the scanner.

By the way, I've seen there is a similar post at this address:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1828483

It seems travelers are carrying all kinds of stuff with them. One person warns against porters who seem to be very fast at taking away your belongings also![/QUOTE]

Normally only an issue in NYC if you're also holding some folding for them.