Backpacks

1island2go

Can you carry backpacks in most places? IE Vatican. colosseum, etc?

I can't comment on those two places specifically (it's been too long since I visited either) but in my experience it is not uncommon for backpacks or other large bags to be banned from various museums etc. so even if they are allowed SOME places they likely won't be allowed in ALL such places.

I was at the Colosseum this past Sunday and saw several people with backpacks and you open your bag for security to look inside. At the Vatican in Monday. There is a bag check room for large bags. You then go thru security like at airport.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was at the Colosseum this past Sunday and saw several people with backpacks and you open your bag for security to look inside. At the Vatican in Monday. There is a bag check room for large bags. You then go thru security like at airport.

Thanks I figured it would be 50 50 whether they would be allowed or not. I am thinking of taking a thin drawstring type that I can stick in my pocket so that when we exit the Vatican we can take legs off the convertible pants, and put my shoulder scarf in. Won't put anything of value in it, other than that and a bottle of water.

Edited by 1island2go

You'll be fine with a small backpack but it will be inspected in both places. Larger ones are not permitted.

On the Colosseum web site it says:

Please note: for security reasons it is strictly forbidden to enter with backpacks, camping, bulky bags and luggage/trolley. Medium and small size backpacks can be introduced and must be screened by metal detectors, as any other bag. They must be opened and visually inspected by the Urbe Security Institute, responsible for the entrance inspection.

Web site here: http://www.turismoroma.it/cosa-fare/colosseo-2?lang=en

Nervous about Vatican shoulders thing. Did you see many women with scarves draped around their shoulders? Will be mid 90's while we are there. Would like to wear a collared sleeveless golf shirt with convertible pants so that when we exit I can be comfortable for the rest of the day sightseeing. Planning on using a scarf for around shoulders while inside.

Nervous about Vatican shoulders thing. Did you see many women with scarves draped around their shoulders? Will be mid 90's while we are there. Would like to wear a collared sleeveless golf shirt with convertible pants so that when we exit I can be comfortable for the rest of the day sightseeing. Planning on using a scarf for around shoulders while inside.

You'll be absolutely fine with the scarf around your shoulders. I've definitely seen other women with scarves to cover their shoulders.

Yes, like lisiamc said, saw women using scarves to cover their shoulders. The weather was very nice, maybe in the high 70s to low-mid 80 s, but I highly recommend you take sunscreen. The sun was very strong. Enjoy your trip.