Shore Excursions

I was wondering what some cruise critic members thoughts were on using private vendors vs booking through RC for shore excursions. We are going to be in Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. I know that you can save some $$ by booking privately butt is it risky?

We will use a mix of both depending on the port or the excursion. If it is relatively close to the port we will usually use a private operator. Where there is a risk in not getting back on time to meet the ship we will use a RCI excursion. The ruins tour on the mainland from Cozumel comes to mind as one we would only book using RCI.

We used Courtney Taylor in Jamaica and had no issues. He was highly recommended both here and on trip advisor.

I agree with everything the above poster said. In Cozumel I am stuck in a rut, I go to Chankanaab on my own every time. If it is my first time in a port I will usually go with a ships excursion first to get the feel of the port although some tour operators have great reputations. I also sail solo about half the time and tend to book more ships excursions then.

I never booked a private excursion. I am not scared of getting attacked or mugged. My fear is being late and the cruise ship not waiting for me. at least this way Royal knows where I am and hopefully there is more of my cruise mates on tour with me. (never been a problem always lots of others with me from the ship)

I figure for a little extra money I can play it safe then its worth it for me.

I was wondering what some cruise critic members thoughts were on using private vendors vs booking through RC for shore excursions. We are going to be in Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. I know that you can save some $$ by booking privately butt is it risky?

In Cozumel, I would recommend renting a jeep or car. There is only one road that circles the island. The car rental works the same as it does in the US. They are conveniently located at each port. You will see the most beautiful side of Cozumel without the big crowds. Several bars along the way with views. My husband and I have done this several times. Jeeps (only have manual 5 speed) costs $125.00 with full coverage insurance. Safe, fun and you have your independence. We will be on the Navigator in August.:) Happy Cruising!

It's not risky IF you do your research....for most things, you don't need an excursion at all! Learn about your ports...get a guidebook from your library...find out what is in each place, and THEN decide what you want to do and how to do it!

The more you know, the more you can save...and the less "risk" there is.

We seldom do excursions...we just learn about where we're going..and head off to do our own thing. The key is to keep an eye on the time! You want to leave yourself a cushion of time to make it back to the ship....If the ship's spillway is 5pm, we head back around 3:30 or so.

Edited by cb at sea

Just back from VOS and the Mediterranean where we did all private tours. For Athens we used privategreecetours and it was excellent. No issues w/timing and our driver, Dominique was great. For 8 people, it worked out to 35 euros/pp.

Sue

I'm going To St. Thomas and St. Maarten. My niece and I just want beach and sand. Please help me.

Best bet is to check the boards for those locations:

St Thomas

St Maarten

In St Thomas if you happen to be at the Crown Bay terminal (Oasis/Allure) you can walk east a block to the marina, walk along the store to the bar at the end and take a ferry across to Water Island. Walk ahead over the hill and you are at Honeymoon Beach. Last time we were there it was us and the two people stocking the bar for the weekend. Google "water island" for details (not sure if the St Thomas info site is restricted on this board).

Edited by LeeW
links

I'm going To St. Thomas and St. Maarten. My niece and I just want beach and sand. Please help me.

Go on your own to St John Trunk Bay when in St Thomas..take the ferry and enjoy one of the most beautiful beaches anywhere!! Google it