Cruising with an 8 yo during school

SellN4U

We are taking our 3rd Carnival cruise in September. We have cruised in the past with our DS at anytime of the year, but since he has been in school we have been vacationing during the breaks. Well, OMG we are tired of paying up to twice the normal fee to cruise during school breaks. So, since he is 8 and still in elementary school we have decided to take our next cruise during September on the Magic. Do other people do this and if so we are wondering about the amount of similar aged kids on the ship during that time. We are fine with him hanging with us, but would love for him to have a handful of kids to play with during our trip.

What week are you going in September? Because some schools (like much of metro Atlanta) have a break in September. We start the first of August, and have a weeklong break in September. We always take a cruise, and end up seeing TONS of other kids, many from our area, on the ship!!! People are always surprised to see so many kids. On one cruise, I recall that there were 700 kids on board, out of 3000 passengers.

This year, the big "kid week" in September, based on Atlanta school districts, will be the week starting Sept 19th. So if you're going that week...there will be plenty of kiddos!!! Even other weeks, you might run into homeschoolers, international kids, etc. So your child will not be the only one!!!

I have always cruised with my kids during school time. The teachers were always great about giving make up work before hand. The kids preferred it this way because there was a smaller group of kids that they could really get to know. Have an awesome time!

We homeschool and travel off season. Depending on port and cruiseline, odds are there will be kids. If it is a Disney Cruise, there will 100% be other kids. We took a cruise at the end of Jan. this year and there were only a handful that were not with our homeschool group, but there were others.

You're going on the Magic, there will be tons of kids. ;)

So yes, you are not alone. Last year we took our kids out of elementary school to go to Disney World in October. Yes, they missed a week of school, but crowds weren't too bad, prices (more) decent and weather was perfect.

In April, we'll be taking our kids again out of school for a cruise. By then our DS will be 10.5 years or grade 5 and DD will be 6.5 or grade 1. This may be the last time we do this as our DS is getting older, but as you say , its so much cheaper (cruise/hotel, air fare). Prices in summer/march break/Christmas is ridiculous.

• 1 month later...

We have cruised 6 times with our kids during the school year (either Sept or October) and we loved getting the rock bottom prices. That early in the year is easy for the kids to miss class, as none of the standardized tests take place. Our school gets its funding money based on how many kids are enrolled and they do the count for FTE the week after we returned and the principal asked that we please make certain our kids attend the week after the cruise for that reason (i.e., don't keep them out any extra days after you return).

I always alert the teachers and principal 2 weeks in advance as a courtesy. Also, in our district if you request the principal designate it as an "excused" absence it will not even count as an unexcused. I really don't care because my kids hardly ever miss class, but even if the principal refused, my 5 days out of school for a cruise still gives me another 5 days of unexcused absences under Florida law.

Find out what the rules are to take your child out of school. Some districts don't allow it. Some have odd restrictions.

Edited by SadieN