Cruise daily tips

christinelee

"Mandatory service charge would be good. It's not tips or gratuities if they are forced. And I know waitstaff rotates. But then again, you are not tipping your buffet staff, who is also bunch of hard working men and women. But you are tipping your waiter? Seems unfair and unbalanced.

I am sure they are overcoming this with pooling. "

Direct quote from Princess

How do gratuities work?

To simplify the tipping process for our passengers, a discretionary gratuity charge will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis. The daily gratuity amounts are; $12 per person for mini-suites and suites, and $11.50 per passenger in all other staterooms per day (including children). This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who have helped provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet. A 15% gratuity is added to bar charges and dining room wine accounts

Meanee....as you can see every one that is included in this process. But it is certainly your option to tip as you see fit.

Edited by cruiser113

Mandatory service charge would be good. It's not tips or gratuities if they are forced. And I know waitstaff rotates. But then again, you are not tipping your buffet staff, who is also bunch of hard working men and women. But you are tipping your waiter? Seems unfair and unbalanced.

I am sure they are overcoming this with pooling.

Most of the buffet staff are the DR staff.

Mandatory service charge would be good. It's not tips or gratuities if they are forced. And I know waitstaff rotates. But then again, you are not tipping your buffet staff, who is also bunch of hard working men and women. But you are tipping your waiter? Seems unfair and unbalanced.

Actually you are. As pointed out in an above post, many of the buffet staff are waitstaff in the dining rooms in the evenings. And all of the buffet staff share in the pool that the auto-tip goes into.

Without discussing the motives/morality/ethics of removing tips... the OP wanted to know 'what happens'.

I think (based on the simple question) that they want to know if they get blacklisted, if their steward/waiter/others are alerted that tips have been removed, so that less-than-stellar service could be expected.

Other threads have included claims that pax lists for room stewards show whether tips are on or off, and that clipboards on the walls in other service areas do, too.

It's hard to know whether those lists exist, whether crew has access, and finally whether a particular crew member would deliberately slack on service to punish that guest, or go over/above to make sure they got a tip at all.