Cruise daily tips

christinelee

All it takes is a visit to the Purser's Desk and ask for the tips to removed.

On this board, what happens after that on the ship varies wildly. What I can guarantee is that you will likely need a flame suit so be prepared. :eek:

In the past it has been stated the stewards must turn in to a pool, any tip money provided to them by folks who are not auto-tipping. Recent posts have indicated this policy has changed and the steward may keep the money. What we really know is that we don't really know.

Once you board the ship you would go to passenger services...wait in a long line...and then request that the gratuity feature be removed. the only burden to doing this is then you have to carry a bunch of money with you while walking around the ship which may prove cumbersome...

Happy Cruising!!!!

P.s... don't be surprised if your post turns a little negative as to the morality of what a tip is and what it is used for and how hard everyone under deck works...etc...

How do you and what happens when you drop your daily cruise tips from your account on Princess?

Thanks

How? You do it by informing the Passenger Service Desk.

What Happens? You have denied all those that serve you, the ones that you see and the ones that you don't see payment for their service to you. Why would you want to do that? The crew members that serve you receive a very small stipend for their work. They relay on the hotel charge not only to bring home, but just to pay for their daily needs.

If you remove the tip then any cash provided as a tip to a crew member is turned over to the central pool and will be shared by all.

I know people do it. But after considerable airfare, tours, cruise fare etc... what's another $100 to $300 for folks that work so hard and make so little. And please don't say you like to pay in cash! we leave auto tip and also pay cash to certain individuals. Imagine going to a restaurant and leaving nothing on a $200 bill.

On our first cruise, my DD told my DW not to bother with auto tips (DD has cruised a couple of times-never Princess). DD then told her you just give envelopes of cash to those who did a good job.

I never turned off auto tips because I think DD is wrong.

A few days into the cruise, DW was thinking about all the service she had gotten from so many people. There was no way she could keep track of everyone, so she told me to put on the auto tips. Of course I smiled and said "no problem dear: and she was happy....

And there is no real way to know if they actually remove the auto tip. That is between them and the purser's desk. I always leave it on be ause in the long run it is not that much. Max of $84.00 on a 7 day cruise per person.

They use your toothbrush to clean the toilet and your dinner is made of others left overs:D:D:D:D

Ok just kidding, I am not a flamer. Wonder if I will get a little private message about this kind of post:rolleyes:

OP are you turning off the autotip to avoid tipping or are you planning to tip in cash? If the latter, will you carry cash to each meal to tip waiters, assistants and others? This would include breakfast and lunch as well as dinner

How? You do it by informing the Passenger Service Desk.

What Happens? You have denied all those that serve you, the ones that you see and the ones that you don't see payment for their service to you. Why would you want to do that? The crew members that serve you receive a very small stipend for their work. They relay on the hotel charge not only to bring home, but just to pay for their daily needs.

If you remove the tip then any cash provided as a tip to a crew member is turned over to the central pool and will be shared by all.

Was wondering the reason, too. The OP has a cruising history so it's not like she doesn't understand how much the crew works for us on board. And if there's something lacking, wouldn't you first try to resolve it by going to the passengers services desk and talking with a supervisor?

People tend to forget that there are many crew members who they interact with are not as visible as servers in the MDR and cabin stewards: the one who brings you your orange juice at breakfast and your lemonade at lunch, the while gloved server at afternoon tea, the pizza and grill cooks as well as the ones who serve you ice cream. The list goes on and one, so as others have said, unless you are going to carry a big wad of cash with you, leave the auto tip on.

JNHO

Was wondering the reason' date=' too. The OP has a cruising history so it's not like she doesn't understand how much the crew works for us on board. And if there's something lacking, wouldn't you first try to resolve it by going to the passengers services desk and talking with a supervisor?[/quote']

That's what I was wondering too.

While I think removing tipping is inexcusable, I hate that people can do it. The very hardworking staff gets most of their salary from tips, and while I don't begrudge them a bit of the money, I do resent that people can opt out of tips. I realize that cruise companies are not all that interested in the well being of their staff, why not just increase the fares to fully cover salaries. I resent that I pay for people who remove tips.

While I think removing tipping is inexcusable, I hate that people can do it. The very hardworking staff gets most of their salary from tips, and while I don't begrudge them a bit of the money, I do resent that people can opt out of tips. I realize that cruise companies are not all that interested in the well being of their staff, why not just increase the fares to fully cover salaries. I resent that I pay for people who remove tips.

Firstly I leave my auto tips in place.

You do not pay for people who remove their tips, your amount didn't increase because a number of people opted out.

I agree with you about increasing the fares to include the tips.

Firstly I leave my auto tips in place.

You do not pay for people who remove their tips, your amount didn't increase because a number of people opted out.

I agree with you about increasing the fares to include the tips.

You are partially correct. "You" are not paying more to offset the folks that remove the tips. but all those who receive the pooled money "may" get less. There is a guaranteed set base rate and everything about that is gravy. It is a shame that there are those who find it selfish to remove the automatic gratuities.

As for including it in the fare, I think there is some logistics to doing that. Plus, "we" would have to pay taxes on these automatic gratuities. Taxes are on the entire fare. It is similar to tipping a regular restaurant bill before or after taxes.

I did it once because I "thought" I knew best. I was so embarrassed to find out that I was in the wrong.

Once you board the ship you would go to passenger services...wait in a long line...and then request that the gratuity feature be removed. the only burden to doing this is then you have to carry a bunch of money with you while walking around the ship which may prove cumbersome...

Happy Cruising!!!!

P.s... don't be surprised if your post turns a little negative as to the morality of what a tip is and what it is used for and how hard everyone under deck works...etc...

Only if you want to hand it out. Many remove auto grats and then don't tip.

You are partially correct. "You" are not paying more to offset the folks that remove the tips. but all those who receive the pooled money "may" get less. There is a guaranteed set base rate and everything about that is gravy. It is a shame that there are those who find it selfish to remove the automatic gratuities.

As for including it in the fare, I think there is some logistics to doing that. Plus, "we" would have to pay taxes on these automatic gratuities. Taxes are on the entire fare. It is similar to tipping a regular restaurant bill before or after taxes.

I did it once because I "thought" I knew best. I was so embarrassed to find out that I was in the wrong.

What logistics would prevent it, they do it in many locations outside the USA.

EG Princess in Australia,.

Edited by GUT2407

I have had several staff members tell me they rarely receive a decent tip from someone who has removed the autotip. It is pretty clear that most (all?) who remove the autotip are doing it so they can stiff the staff

I have had several staff members tell me they rarely receive a decent tip from someone who has removed the autotip. It is pretty clear that most (all?) who remove the autotip are doing it so they can stiff the staff

If a tip or gratuity is "a voluntary additional payment made for services rendered" as the 3 dictionaries I have looked at describe it, how is anyone being stiffed?

BTW I tip, I auto tip and I tip extra when I think it is warranted, I just hate it when people think they have the right to tell others how to tip.

Gratuity or tip or whatever you want to call it is a reward for good service and is the decision of the the bill payer to how much if any the service warrants. It is not up to Princess to decide in advance what we should pay daily whether we receive good service or not just to pay the staff's poor wages given by the cruiseline. We went to New York prior to a cruise and had the worse service we have ever had anywhere in the world. If he got paid very poor pay and relied on his tips you think he should have given better service and not had such an attitude. Princess should stop the farce of them deciding what you pay and giving you the chance to remove it and then add it onto the fare so that everybody pays and advertise all cruises as "gratuities included" until this happens I will remove my tips and give tips to those that give me good service and will reward them willingly. For those that work behind the scenes then I am afraid it is up to Princess (Carnival) to pay a decent wage without having to rely on tips. In the UK we have a higher minimum wage than in the US and service staff dont need to rely on tips like they do in America to get a decent wage and eating out in the UK is dearer than in US so tipping unless in a major city is not given and is not normally the normal to expect.

At the end of the day its a guilt trip pushed by all cruiselines so that the customer pays staff wages and not the cruiseline meaning bigger profits for them at the end of the day. I dont employ staff and say you pay is very poor and you have to rely on tips they are paid a rate of pay which is clearly stated and above UK minimum wage.

Edited by majortom10

If you remove your auto tips, you are doing it to save money and not tip as much. You can say what you want to try and justify it but the bottom line is you do it to save money. Thats the only reason to remove them. The tip removers will say i tip the staff that serve me. I doubt that any of them tip 1/3 of the staff that give good service. Also I doubt they tip anywhere near the $23.00 a day for 2 people that goes into the tip pool with auto tips. I would never remove the auto tips. I had someone tell me on a cruise that they always remove their auto tips and said they do it because none of the crew know they don't tip so there service is just as good as what i get and they don't spend as much. I find that disgusting.