Missing the Boat - on Purpose

Out of three cruises that called at Piraeus, we've been four hours late due to weather once, (it was the disembarkation port for that cruise, so they kept on trying until they were able to get in) and had the day switched due to political demonstrations once. So anecdotally, it hasn't been uncommon for me. :p. Statistically, it doesn't occur too often, I'm sure. But things happen. That's why I would recommend a Plan B, C, D and probably E.

Edited by lisiamc

Out of three cruises that called at Piraeus, we've been four hours late due to weather once, (it was the disembarkation port for that cruise, so they kept on trying until they were able to get in) and had the day switched due to political demonstrations once. So anecdotally, it hasn't been uncommon for me. :p. Statistically, it doesn't occur too often, I'm sure. But things happen. That's why I would recommend a Plan B, C, D and probably E.

I suppose we all base our recommendations on our own experiences. :) I've called at Piraeus more times than I can accurately remember and have never had a cancellation or delay (though one time we did wonder if things were going to be closed due to a planned strike -- however, we had no problems).

People do it frequently on the FLL to Santiago repo cruises along the West Coast of South America. They get off in Lima, which is the gateway to Machu Picchu. In fact, Dec 2006, Celebrity Infinity was having pod problems and Arica Chile (the gateway for the very overpriced X excursions to MP) was going to be bypassed. About 40 people got off the ship in Lima to make their own way to MP.

Done very frequently in Asia also. People very often get off the ship in Saigon or Hanoi and make their own way back to the ship (or not). Can't use the ship visa for land travel in Vietnam but it is a very easy way to see Angkor Wat out of Saigon and rejoin the ship in Bangkok.

You do know that not the whole world has the Jones Act or PSVA [or whatever it is].

Most countries have cabotage laws.... they apply to air travel as well as ship.

Ports are missed very occasionally -- I would not say it is "not uncommon". The larger ports are very rarely missed indeed. After reading these boards for more than 10 years, I can only recall twice when Civitavecchia was skipped, for example. Naples, Venice, Livorno, Istanbul, Kusadasi, Piraeus are also very, very seldom missed. (Piraeus generally not a concern except due to the Greek political situation and attendant strikes/unrest).

Smaller Greek isles that may have smaller ports, tender ports, or other places where the wind/weather have an impact may have a slightly higher risk of being missed -- still I wouldn't say it is "not uncommon".

<snip>

I wasn't aware this subject applied only to European ports. It is not only in Europe that cruisers wish to leave the ship for a land stay and then rejoin.

Edited by sail7seas

I am amazed at all the people who have chimed in who have less than no knowledge on these topics. Many of the answers instead of helping the OP, have in fact provided incorrect information, and have done nothing but confuse the situation. I suspect that quite a few of the psoters have NEVER traveled in Europe.

I wasn't aware this subject applied only to European ports. It is not only in Europe that cruisers wish to leave the ship for a land stay and then rejoin.

While the subject doesn't only apply to European ports, that is what the original poster asked about. Providing information about other areas could be confusing the issue for them.