Formal Night on Dawn

molly82400

Been a while since I've been on NCL. Does anybody know if the Dawn Boston to Bermuda has a formal night?

Norwegian's Night Out is NCL's formal night. It is formal in all but that it is not mandatory. Meaning you don't HAVE to dress up, but many do. There is a large movement of people on this CC forum who try to downplay how many people dress up for it, and seem to have a negative outlook on formal night in general. Do not let that deter you, we always participate in Norwegian's night out, as do many many others. Get fancy and enjoy!

:cool: Imagine a guy wearing a tie? It's all too bad that class and chivalry are dying on the vine. My wife and I were on the NCL Spirit waiting for the elevator to go down for dinner on formal night. We decided to get dressed for the occasion. Another passenger, (who we did not know) said to my wife, "you look rather elegant this evening", made us feel great. A little more elegance and a lot less slob gives everyone a more enjoyable time. Like your Mother said when you were a kid, "Getting dressed up is not going to kill you, and maybe you should do it more often".

As others have outlined there are no formal nights. Norwegians night out is not a formal night but an opportunity if you want to have photos with the captain etc..

Those who claim people not dressed elegantly are lazy or "don't make an effort" are IMO just snobbish. Some of us dress in shirt and tie and jacket for work and go on holidays to relax and dress down and not feel like back at work!

I can concur with what others said-

Please do not let others decide what you want to do. We just recently been on our first cruise ever (this same route) and I was in 2 minds whether to take formals or not. Even after getting responses from folk on this board saying formals were not required, I was very glad I did not listen to them.

Like others said, formals night is on Saturday (Norwegians Night Out) and is a wonderful opportunity to get dressed up. At first going out of the stateroom walking down the hallway felt a little odd and thought maybe we made a mistake because few people did not dress up. But once we went to the grand atrium there were lot of people there all dressed up very nicely. You get to take a photo with the captain- very nice. And there's an chance to take formal photos as well. No one even notices you whether your in formals or not. But those who did, complemented us very nice- which was a nice feeling. So please my personal advice is, take your formals, then you can decide later on if you want to wear it or not. But deciding on the ship you want to wear and not carrying formals, will just make yourself feel bad.

This was my experience, but in answer to your question- yes, NCL does do formal night and its on Saturday!

We are four girls who do a cruise together every year. And for us..every night is 'dress it up' night. We love to get out the bling & the fancy duds. That's the great thing about Freestyle...it's whatever YOU feel comfortable wearing.

Cheers

Sandra

I distinctly remember Dingo Dave mentioning NCL's Night out AND a formal night on my cruise. We might have had an extra one because of the extra day at sea though since we didn't end up in Bermuda.

This is the most support I have seen for formal night in awhile, and it's great to read. It does not take that much effort to dress up nice for one night on your cruise. It doesn't matter whether or not you do it for your job each day. When you are on a cruise, you are not sitting at a desk, or in meetings, so it is in no way the same.

I am sorry if those who do not participate in formal night find it offensive when I say- I do think laziness is a part of it. I say this because people make statements like "I don't want to have to worry about packing formal where when going on vacation", "I don't want to worry about having to get dressed up, I'm on vacation to relax.", etc. Is dressing up one night really that much of an inconvenience?. Okay, rant over :)

This is the most support I have seen for formal night in awhile, and it's great to read. It does not take that much effort to dress up nice for one night on your cruise. It doesn't matter whether or not you do it for your job each day. When you are on a cruise, you are not sitting at a desk, or in meetings, so it is in no way the same.

I am sorry if those who do not participate in formal night find it offensive when I say- I do think laziness is a part of it. I say this because people make statements like "I don't want to have to worry about packing formal where when going on vacation", "I don't want to worry about having to get dressed up, I'm on vacation to relax.", etc. Is dressing up one night really that much of an inconvenience?. Okay, rant over :)

Yeah... No.

I accept your apology Doc, but it is offensive. If you enjoy getting dressed up then enjoy yourself, more power to you, but I'm not being lazy if I prefer wearing dockers and a collared shirt to dinner. As someone else said, I wear a suit to work every day, and sometimes I just prefer to be laid back. That's one of the reasons I usually sail with NCL. Listen, sometimes I also enjoy being more formal. I've sailed on the QM2 and wore a tux or a suit every night, and I quite enjoyed that too. But it was MY choice to take that cruise. Okay, rant over. :rolleyes:

I suppose it depends what you're opinion of being dressed up is? I wear a uniform at work, any day I don't have to wear that I feel dressed up...even if I'm wearing jeans and a nice shirt...Must we wear ball gowns and heels? Shoot maybe I am lazy.

Edited by MCAT48

Would it be inconvenient for you to mind your own bee's wax and never mine what other's want to do on their vacation ?

Did ya ever think some folk's may want to burn their Suit's upon retirement ? ;)

Edited by biker@sea

I accept your apology Doc, but it is offensive. If you enjoy getting dressed up then enjoy yourself, more power to you, but I'm not being lazy if I prefer wearing dockers and a collared shirt to dinner. As someone else said, I wear a suit to work every day, and sometimes I just prefer to be laid back. That's one of the reasons I usually sail with NCL. Listen, sometimes I also enjoy being more formal. I've sailed on the QM2 and wore a tux or a suit every night, and I quite enjoyed that too. But it was MY choice to take that cruise. Okay, rant over. :rolleyes:

This is one of the cases where I am okay if people find it offensive, as it may very well be, and that's fine. Also, Dockers and a collared shirt are nice, I was more referring to the people who wear jeans and a t-shirt, or worse. Formal nights I typically just wear a suit. I did buy my first tux this year though, but don't think I will be bringing it along on an NCL cruise.

Listen- I know my opinion, and it is just that an opinion, may be unpopular, viewed as offensive, rude, etc. But it needs to be said.

2nd rant over :rolleyes:

Edited by Doc2725
More

I don't know about the rest of you, but I LIVE in jeans. I love my jeans, and I love the fact that I work a job where I can. Wear jeans. However, I get to dress up so rarely that when I do get to dress up its a treat. I'm really looking forward to formal night on my cruise next month.

This is one of the cases where I am okay if people find it offensive, as it may very well be, and that's fine. Also, Dockers and a collared shirt are nice, I was more referring to the people who wear jeans and a t-shirt, or worse. Formal nights I typically just wear a suit. I did buy my first tux this year though, but don't think I will be bringing it along on an NCL cruise.

Listen- I know my opinion, and it is just that an opinion, may be unpopular, viewed as offensive, rude, etc. But it needs to be said.

2nd rant over :rolleyes:

Having an opinion is fine...calling other lazy for not agreeing with you is not just rude but pure ignorance. NCL DOES NOT have a formal night. It is called "Dress up or not" night. Perhaps you can keep your judgement of others to yourself. You think it makes you sound distinguished because you dress up, but the way you voice your opinion really makes you look foolish.

6&8

Edited by sixesandeights

What ever happened to "Live and let live"? Isn't that what Freestyle cruising is all about? As long as the person is wearing clean clothes that doesn't smell, I really don't care. Why are some people so fixated on conformity?

To recap - there are NO formal nights on NCL. You can dress up EVERY night or NO night. Your choice.

There is no longer a "dress up or not night". NCL discontinued that quite some time back. It is now, Norwegians Night Out, it in no way infers dressing up or anything else. NCL determined long ago that jeans and a t shirt will get you pretty much in anywhere and the only thing they really "care" about is no shorts in one MDR and Le Bistro. Many dress up one night, not because it's suggested or recommended, but because they do a lot of nice photo's that night and most times there is a time for a photo with the Captain (with a charge of course).

No one cares what you wear or what night. But don't let folks think there are a lot that do it. I've never found 10% and less than 5% is probably closer to the number. You can wear formal or dress up clothes to all three meals every day if you wish. But you will be a significant minority and again, no one cares. Because it is NCL's ambiance to be very casual it appears to be why many, many choose this line. To call someone names because they don't agree with your dress code is disingenuous. To each his/her own.

It doesn't matter whether or not you do it for your job each day. When you are on a cruise, you are not sitting at a desk, or in meetings, so it is in no way the same.

That's right. That's why I go on a cruise. BECAUSE IT IS NOT LIKE WORK.

There is no longer a "dress up or not night". NCL discontinued that quite some time back. It is now, Norwegians Night Out, it in no way infers dressing up or anything else. NCL determined long ago that jeans and a t shirt will get you pretty much in anywhere and the only thing they really "care" about is no shorts in one MDR and Le Bistro. Many dress up one night, not because it's suggested or recommended, but because they do a lot of nice photo's that night and most times there is a time for a photo with the Captain (with a charge of course).

No one cares what you wear or what night. But don't let folks think there are a lot that do it. I've never found 10% and less than 5% is probably closer to the number. You can wear formal or dress up clothes to all three meals every day if you wish. But you will be a significant minority and again, no one cares. Because it is NCL's ambiance to be very casual it appears to be why many, many choose this line. To call someone names because they don't agree with your dress code is disingenuous. To each his/her own.

You are absolutely incorrect. There is way way way more than 10% that do it. You are trying to dismay others from dressing up by giving them false statistics. Norwegian's Night Out is not a mandatory formal night, but it's the night they set aside as an optional formal night, meaning a night where more people may be dressed up than other nights. They also take pictures this night because more people are dressed up. On my last Gem cruise, we found it to be around 45% participating. Don't try to convince people on here that there are not alot that do it, it's just not correct.

Click this link http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-calendar , and read what it says under "Norwegians Night Out." The first two words are "dress up."

Edited by Doc2725
Adding+