Formal Night on Dawn

molly82400

You are absolutely incorrect. There is way way way more than 10% that do it. You are trying to dismay others from dressing up by giving them false statistics. Norwegian's Night Out is not a mandatory formal night, but it's the night they set aside as an optional formal night, meaning a night where more people may be dressed up than other nights. They also take pictures this night because more people are dressed up. On my last Gem cruise, we found it to be around 45% participating. Don't try to convince people on here that there are not alot that do it, it's just not correct.

Click this link http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-calendar , and read what it says under "Norwegians Night Out." The first two words are "dress up."

Why dress down the other nights then in your case? Dress up every night. It's Freestyle choice.

You are absolutely incorrect. There is way way way more than 10% that do it. You are trying to dismay others from dressing up by giving them false statistics. Norwegian's Night Out is not a mandatory formal night, but it's the night they set aside as an optional formal night, meaning a night where more people may be dressed up than other nights. They also take pictures this night because more people are dressed up. On my last Gem cruise, we found it to be around 45% participating. Don't try to convince people on here that there are not alot that do it, it's just not correct.

Click this link http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-calendar , and read what it says under "Norwegians Night Out." The first two words are "dress up."

It varies cruise to cruise.

Why dress down the other nights then in your case? Dress up every night. It's Freestyle choice.

I usually wear slacks and a dress shirt on non-formal nights. On formal night, i'll wear a suit. The free-style cruise comment is a bit off. I COULD wear a suit every night on ANY cruise line, not just NCL. With Norwegian's Night Out, it's fun to dress up when everyone else does it. It's fun having a lot of people dressed up at the same time, for the same reason. It makes it feel like everyone is on the same page that night. That's why I like it when people do it for NNO. If I did it other nights, and no one else really did, it wouldn't be as much of an experience. Catch my drift?

I usually wear slacks and a dress shirt on non-formal nights. On formal night, i'll wear a suit. The free-style cruise comment is a bit off. I COULD wear a suit every night on ANY cruise line, not just NCL. With Norwegian's Night Out, it's fun to dress up when everyone else does it. It's fun having a lot of people dressed up at the same time, for the same reason. It makes it feel like everyone is on the same page that night. That's why I like it when people do it for NNO. If I did it other nights, and no one else really did, it wouldn't be as much of an experience. Catch my drift?

It's like the Prom again, or another formal dance. Sometimes, it's just fun to dress up.

From my experience of 10 NCL cruises over 4 ships the figure of 10% is about right for the people who dress up.

I don't understand why with every other cruise line offering formal nights (often several per cruise) why some people want to "convert" NCL or "scare" people that more dress up.

If you don't like other people dressing relaxed in resort casual whilst you dress up I suggest you choose a different cruise line.

You can dress like/ play Little Lord Fauntleroy all week if you want , It's free style .:)

Just don't even try to tell me what to wear /do in My pursuit of happiness . :cool:

Edited by biker@sea

You are trying to dismay others from dressing up by giving them false statistics. Norwegian's Night Out is not a mandatory formal night, but it's the night they set aside as an optional formal night

The free-style cruise comment is a bit off.

Come on friend, quit trying to pull the wool over my eyes and telling me it is nighttime

@micm Like I said, you CAN dress up every night in any cruise line , not just NCL. That part of freestyle is not unique to NCL, and I don't know why some people keep saying it. To those that say 10% participate, you're incorrect, we have ways found it to be between 30-45%, depending on the type of people onboard. There are so many negative opinions on people throwing on some nice clothes for NCL's formal night. It's sad and I'm not sure why people dislike it so much. Nothing anyone can do about it though I guess. Enjoy your cruises.

Like I said, you CAN dress up every night in any cruise line , not just NCL.

Agreed. If that is what you enjoy, do it.

That part of freestyle is not unique to NCL, and I don't know why some people keep saying it.

No one has said it. The problem is your comprehension. Freestyle choice means to choose what you like best.

To those that say 10% participate, you're incorrect, we have ways found it to be between 30-45%, depending on the type of people onboard.

It could be 10%, it could be 45%, or any other number lower, in between, or higher. Whatever you saw on one ship from one spot at one time is not really scientific data.

There are so many negative opinions on people throwing on some nice clothes for NCL's formal night.

Haven't read them on here.

It's sad and I'm not sure why people dislike it so much.

You don't need to understand the particulars of why someone likes something or does not. Boiled down; some people prefer to dress up. Some prefer NOT to dress up. That's Freestyle choice. This is very easy to understand. If you lack a fundamental basic understanding of something, perhaps it is best to reserve judging it as "sad". Gather more data first.

Nothing anyone can do about it though I guess. Enjoy your cruises.

Sure you can do quite a bit about it. You can choose to take control of yourself and dress however you find comfortable any and all nights. We chose NCL for Freestyle choice. I am sure some will be dressed more formal than us. I am sure some will be dressed more casual than us. I am sure I will not be impacted by their choices.

Edited by MisterFidgetpants

Agreed. If that is what you enjoy, do it.

No one has said it. The problem is your comprehension. Freestyle choice means to choose what you like best.

I would argue they were the ones with the comprehension problem

It could be 10%, it could be 45%, or any other number lower, in between, or higher. Whatever you saw on one ship from one spot at one time is not really scientific data.

Haven't read them on here.

Look closer

You don't need to understand the particulars of why someone likes something or does not. Boiled down; some people prefer to dress up. Some prefer NOT to dress up. That's Freestyle choice. This is very easy to understand. If you lack a fundamental basic understanding of something, perhaps it is best to reserve judging it as "sad". Gather more data first.

Sure you can do quite a bit about it. You can choose to take control of yourself and dress however you find comfortable any and all nights. We chose NCL for Freestyle choice. I am sure some will be dressed more formal than us. I am sure some will be dressed more casual than us. I am sure I will not be impacted by their choices.

I more of meant there is nothing I can do about others not dressing up. But if you have suggestions as to how one would achieve this, let me know. Otherwise, it's like the MayNay said, "when naught, do naught" am I right? Lastly, if any positives have come of this post, it's that there are more supports of formal night than I had originally thought, and it has also brought attention to the matter. ;)

I more of meant there is nothing I can do about others not dressing up. But if you have suggestions as to how one would achieve this, let me know. Otherwise, it's like the MayNay said, "when naught, do naught" am I right? Lastly, if any positives have come of this post, it's that there are more supports of formal night than I had originally thought, and it has also brought attention to the matter. ;)

Doc, I think if you enjoy dressing formal, dress formal, and that is fantastic. You can do it every night if you want, and that's exactly what Freestyle choice is about. Do what feels good. We do what feels good. If that means dressing formal so we feel good, we do. If that means dressing casual so we feel good, we do. So we're choosing a cruise line that gives us that Freestyle choice. I don't really feel impacted much by those around me. The cruise line sets the tone and ambiance and resort casual is the 21st century way.

Now, I'm really not the type to try to bully others to "go away" or anything, so I hope this comes across right, but if the ambiance and experience of formal night is something you take great pleasure from, perhaps you should be looking at HAL or Princess cruise lines and not NCL and Carnival which are more family oriented and casual. If you feel out of place or not enjoying yourself because of what others around you do (or are not doing) look for something that delivers a more well-rounded experience closer to what you enjoy. You may find greener grass.

Again, you can dress up for any cruise line every night, that's not considered part of NCL's freestyle, and people need to stop saying it in relation to NCL. The only dresscode related thing that NCL does is allow people to not dress as nice if they choose. I liked Carnival's formal night, as well as Royal Caribbean's. However, I am in my 20's, Princess and Holland America are not really my demographic yet. Plus, NCL's ships are very nice, so that's a plus.

Also, I liked you CC name.

Edited by Doc2725
Compliment

@micm Like I said, you CAN dress up every night in any cruise line , not just NCL. That part of freestyle is not unique to NCL, and I don't know why some people keep saying it. To those that say 10% participate, you're incorrect, we have ways found it to be between 30-45%, depending on the type of people onboard. There are so many negative opinions on people throwing on some nice clothes for NCL's formal night. It's sad and I'm not sure why people dislike it so much. Nothing anyone can do about it though I guess. Enjoy your cruises.

Because you seem to be pushing the issue of whoever doesn't dress up are lazy and slobs. Why do you care what others wear? That's great you dress up, others don't. Worry about yourself, not others.

I may just wear my pj's next cruise.

Again, you can dress up for any cruise line every night, that's not considered part of NCL's freestyle, and people need to stop saying it in relation to NCL. The only dresscode related thing that NCL does is allow people to not dress as nice if they choose. I liked Carnival's formal night, as well as Royal Caribbean's. However, I am in my 20's, Princess and Holland America are not really my demographic yet. Plus, NCL's ships are very nice, so that's a plus.

Also, I liked you CC name.

All the cruise lines in reality allow anyone to dress however they want. HAL and princess are more rigid when it comes to formal nights however.

Don't sell Princess short. Gorgeous ships and great service. 20s is not too young. We are considering HAL if a good deal comes up but do have some hesitations due to strictness and average clientele being much older and not a family friendly line.

I assure you even when we choose casual we are not slobs. One does not equal the other. You are young and your sweeping generalizations will mature with time and experience.

The ability to do as you wish is Freestyle choice. If you can't do as you wish and feel comfortable because others aren't doing the same thing as you the Freestyle concept may not be the best use of your time and money

Edited by MisterFidgetpants

I am sorry if those who do not participate in formal night find it offensive when I say- I do think laziness is a part of it. I say this because people make statements like "I don't want to have to worry about packing formal where when going on vacation", "I don't want to worry about having to get dressed up, I'm on vacation to relax.", etc. Is dressing up one night really that much of an inconvenience?. Okay, rant over :)

I, for one, am not the slightest bit offended by your ignorance. Thanks for sharing it.

No I mean what were you going to say after? You said because as in because I said this, now this will happen.

You had said you don't understand why there are so many negative opinions on dressing up while onboard.

Again...you stating people are lazy and slobs do not help your case. It angers and insults people . Period.

Edited by janpo

Your signature only shows one Norwegian cruise on the Gem a few years ago. Can you advise what other Norwegian cruises you have been on or is your statement based just on one experience?

Hope you enjoy your Breakaway cruise, I'm sure you'll look elegant as part of the 10%. Don't forget your glow outfits for the glow party...

Here's some advice kid, quit while you are behind.

Being ganged up on does not constitute as being "behind", as you so eloquently wrote. I do appreciate you calling me "kid" though, as it makes me feel not quite as old. I do feel strongly about this topic, obviously, and that's not a bad thing. Also, I was willing to accept that some people might be offended by my remarks, which I did state. I just feel like there is a few people on this thread who are trying to dissuade others from dressing up by indicating that these people would be in the strong minority if they did so, which is not the case. Additionally, it says right on NCL's website (which I can admit is not always the most reliable place for information), that Norwegian's Night Out is a time to "Dress up and step out ", while still optional of course. While not as many people dress up for formal night on NCL as they do on the other lines, it is still more than 10%. That being said, I will take notice on my upcoming Breakaway cruise and report back, maybe it will turn out that I am wrong.

Well, DH wears a suit every weekday, and is around others wearing suits. He thinks it's fun NOT to wear a suit!

Well, DH wears a suit every weekday, and is around others wearing suits. He thinks it's fun NOT to wear a suit!

I agree with that! During the week, I need to wear a suit too, and I dislike it. On a cruise though, because I'm not at work, it's fun. However, I wouldn't want to do it every night on a cruise, but one or two nights with a bunch of other people getting polished up for it along with me is fun.