QM2 June 3-10 EB TA log

BlueRiband

Sunday, June 7

22.7 knots, heading 71deg

We have a heavy overcast sky and it’s another windy day. The forward observations areas on 7, 11, and 13 are closed. As the walkers and joggers go past the PG restaurant windows it’s obvious that the wind is blowing against them. Days like this would be incredibly boring on ships lacking Cunard’s daytime programs. At he operational update at noon we will advance another area.

Blueriband, Thank you for taking the time to describe your trip. Perhaps you have noticed the type of English Breakfast tea that is being served now? We were recently on the QV and they had switched from the Twinings black/red packets of tea to a Twinings Golden tea in a goldish type packet. Curious if the same as occurred on the Mary as well?

Blueribband- thanks for the updates.

Can you elaborate on why Capn Wells can fly the blue ensign (your earlier comment) When we were in Liverpool in May QV was flying the Red Ensign and QM2 the Blue ensign, no one could tell me why

Sunday night

The weather deteriorated during the day with light fog and heavy overcast. The air temperature is now 13C/55F. As a women walked past the PG window the wind was blowing on her so strongly that she appeared to barely be able to walk into it. Wind force 6 from the NE. The forward decks on 7, 11, and 13 remain closed.

The sea state is now “rough” and in the forward part of the ship there is some definite pitching movement. We are managing 21.7 knots at a heading of 73deg. Fog has rolled in. Fortunately for me I like the sound of QM2's foghorn because I'll be listening to it all night.

The program for Monday has appeared and a “Chocolate and Ice Buffet” is listed: King’s Court, 10:30-11:30 PM. It was mentioned by Brucemuzz that it’s increasingly difficult to put these things on so we’ll see what happens. Cunard promises “…a photo opportunity not to be missed”. (I hope there is none of the shameful behavior that was reported on the QE a couple of years ago – line cutting, waste, and overall boorish behavior.)

As for the teas, QM2 has an extensive selection of Twinnings tea bag varities in Kings Count, Connexions, and Grills Lounge.

I've uploaded a link to the Cunard 175 scarf avilable in the Chopard shop in six different colors. It will set you back quite a bit, but I've always regretted not buying the on board edition of the Hermes En Avant Toute.

Edited by BlueRiband

I hope there is none of the shameful behavior that was reported on the QE a couple of years ago – line cutting, waste, and overall boorish behavior.

I hope you'll report back on that. Different demogragraphics provide different experiences and yours will be interesting.

I'm really enjoying following along....and it's generous of you to take the time. Enjoy your second half. :)

Sunday

I've uploaded a link to the Cunard 175 scarf avilable in the Chopard shop in six different colors. It will set you back quite a bit, but I've always regretted not buying the on board edition of the Hermes En Avant Toute.

Thanks, I never thought to check the Chopard shop, I don't think I've ever been in there !

June 8-9, 2015

22.6 knots, cloudy

The weather has cleared but the wind has only subsided to force 5, and with the combined speed of the forward observation decks are still closed. It’s just past midnight Tuesday ship’s time as I write. We are doing 22.6 knots in moderate seas and heading 82 deg. We will have one more time change on Tuesday to adjust to Southampton time.

After taking in two lectures in the morning I headed to the Aquatherapy pool. The doors to the locker rooms are now touch button activated. While the steam room and saunas were working one of the reflexology basins was down. The other piece of equipment out of service was the handicap lift seat! Perhaps it needs a part that needs to be shipped to Southampton? I am however please to report that if there were any Germans using the spa this group respected the “bathing suits required” signage – which is posted in English and German.

The Queens Grill Lounge recital was given tonight – it’s something I missed the previous two formal nights.

The Chocolate and Ice Buffet does take place! Five minutes was allowed for photographs before the line was opened and I’m happy to say it was orderly. Among the ice sculptures was a model of the ship about four feet long. I snapped some images and will upload them when I get on land.

June 8-9, 2015

22.6 knots, cloudy

The weather has cleared but the wind has only subsided to force 5, and with the combined speed of the forward observation decks are still closed. It’s just past midnight Tuesday ship’s time as I write. We are doing 22.6 knots in moderate seas and heading 82 deg. We will have one more time change on Tuesday to adjust to Southampton time.

After taking in two lectures in the morning I headed to the Aquatherapy pool. The doors to the locker rooms are now touch button activated. While the steam room and saunas were working one of the reflexology basins was down. The other piece of equipment out of service was the handicap lift seat! Perhaps it needs a part that needs to be shipped to Southampton? I am however please to report that if there were any Germans using the spa this group respected the “bathing suits required” signage – which is posted in English and German.

The Queens Grill Lounge recital was given tonight – it’s something I missed the previous two formal nights.

The Chocolate and Ice Buffet does take place! Five minutes was allowed for photographs before the line was opened and I’m happy to say it was orderly. Among the ice sculptures was a model of the ship about four feet long. I snapped some images and will upload them when I get on land.

The sculptures sound good, I look forward to the pics.

A funny story from just last week about Germans. My friend was at Mallorca, Spain and had a German having a conversation with her while on the beach. The big issue was he was in his 60s, he was naked and standing in her sunlight and he was speaking German so my friend (40) had no idea of what was being said as he didn't understand English and she had no German.

June 9th, last sea day

The decks remain, as they were throughout the crossing, very windy. In the afternoon we passed Bishop Rock and ended the sea portion and entered the Channel. Throughout the voyage our speed averaged 21.9 knots and we are due to arrive in Southampton at 6:30AM.

The last day is always bittersweet – there is an anxiousness to get on with the next part of the journey yet an unwillingness to leave the ship. In the old A-B transportation days did people have the same affinity for a ship? Their transatlantic crossings were only five days and was that long enough to form a bond with being a sea?

My luggage goes out in the hall before dinner. Why postpone the inevitable?

One thing that I did notice throughout the voyage was slower restaurant service in PG. It appears that there a fewer waiters who have to serve more tables. Today I got two very disappointing meals with overcooked pasta and dry tough meat. That should not happen in premium accommodations and these were duly noted on my comment card.

Many CC members want lower prices and are completely disconnected from the concept of “value for value”. I recall a thread last year where somebody happily crowed that TA fares were “cheap as chips!” and “this is wonderful!” When overall revenue decreases any business looks to cut its expenses.

Four of my table mates will also disembark and they are heading for some personal car traveling. All four are first timers on Cunard and they express disappointment in the experience versus advertised expectations. I don’t think they will sail Cunard again but will just mark this off as saying they once did transatlantic and that it was “all right” but not “great”. They’re far more affluent than myself and have stayed at five star resorts, so they have high standards for comparison.

A fifth table mate will remain on the ship until she returns to New York. This person is not thrilled about the coming 2-day “booze cruises” to and from Hamburg but mobility issues leave them with few travel choices.

I got my private car transfer instructions and decided to take all of my luggage with me rather than check the larger bag for storage at Southampton. (For those interested, $65 per bag for up to 30 days storage.) For what this Cunard-arranged car is costing me they can well afford to lift and haul it.

Edited by BlueRiband

The expectations of some will only leave them disappointed. I was lucky enough to have read many reviews prior to boarding so my expectations were not as high as some others may have been. I must admit that while I loved my cruise on the QM2, it was not that much more special than some of the other cruises I have done. Sure they do some things really well but some other things are very standard and wether that justifies paying extra/more for a Cunard experience is for individuals to decide.

Thanks for your reviews, I have enjoyed it greatly.:D

This update is "live" as I sit in Todd English and burn internet time. We back into the Ocean Terminal. Im my previous travels to Southampton the ship headed into the berth and backed our upon departure. Perhaps the tides were more favorable for turning the ship now rather than later.

It is a partially cloudy day with brilliant sunshine but still very cool.

My stateroom was 10025 - starboard side, bed facing forward. It's an interconnecting room but I never heard a sound from 10023. As I passed down the hall a maintenance cart had some forms headed "2015 Balcony Survey". This is apparently an inspection and inventory of various types of wear and deterioration requiring attention.

It's announced that all bags are now in the hall for claim. I'll head out shortly but not before snapping an image of the Blue Ensign. As I leave a couple in the late disembarkation group are catching a last few minutes of sun in the deck 8 loungers.

Thanks for all your posts.

A few years ago I asked Capt. Wright at the Senior Officers' Cocktail Party why they sometimes back in, etc. The Chief Engineer was there as well and he said that it can also depended on which side they are going to fuel the ship. It was also Capt. Wright's last voyage before retirement and Commodore Rynd was taking command and he said that since the Commodore hadn't driven the ship for a while that he wanted to back it in so the Commodore wouldn't have any trouble sailing out that night. :D

....Commodore Rynd was taking command and he said that since the Commodore hadn't driven the ship for a while that he wanted to back it in so the Commodore wouldn't have any trouble sailing out that night.

LOL! I remember Kevin Oprey first coming on board on a WB when QM2 was "parked" bow in. He would later quip that when somebody hands you the keys to a Bentley, you hope they parked it facing the right direction! :D

The official ask.cunard.com site now doesn't give the captain's change over dates but mearly mentions that Kevin Oprey or Christopher Wells will "typically" be the master. This morning I saw the Blue Ensign on the radar mast get lowered - maybe Kevin Oprey is coming on sooner than June 14th? I disenmarked this morning so I don't know who is on charge for the run up to Hamburg.

I thought I might finish by describing the Southampton disembarkation experience. It went very quicly as immigration was already done on board the ship. Since my private car was later most of the bags had been claimed so I didn't have to go through several rows to find mine. A Cunard representative was at the main terminal entrance to coordinate things. I got my car early and quickly got on my way.

HOWEVER, once we hit London traffic just inched along. Altogether the ride from the pier to the hotel was about two and a half hours. If you are continuing on with the ship, and somebody tells you don't try to go to London, believe them. The only way one can do this is to take a Cunard sponsored tour where you are guaranteed to have ths ship waiting for your return.

Edited by BlueRiband

I will just butt in with a few comments. I hope you don't mind (and if you do, I am sorry).

Thursday June 4th

Last October I had noted that the blue cushions with the Cunard logo on the headrest really looked nice. The worn ones were replaced with a beige strip design. It looks hideous to see the mismatch. They would have been better off replacing them all with one or the other.

Seconded.

Also, they should just have replaced all worn cushions. I saw at least one where the little head pillow was ripped off that shouldn't have been put out. Also, quite a few of the beige cushions were quite stained.

This was the first formal night and there were plenty of men in black tie but my estimate is that half of the women dressed “smartly” (whatever the hell that means) but most defiantly not formal. Cunard made a big mistake in “loosening up” and thus compromising its identity.

We were on late seating in Britannia (deck 3) and while I did see women who did not dress formal per se I didn't really see anyone who didn't dress appropriately. Most women I saw wore dresses, the rest did dress smartly (elegant pants and sparkly blouse). I saw maybe two or three women whom I would not have considered at least somewhat formal (and those would have found it difficult to find formal dress due to body type, especially if they were German which I know one was).

On the second formal night when we waited for the dinning room doors to open a group of (of course German *sigh* I promise Cunard did inform us about dress code) three women went back to their cabins, complaining to each other that the way they were dressed (not-blue jeans, t-shirt / sweater) they wouldn't be allowed in anyways. I didn't get it. If you know you won't be let in, why come down 10 minutes early, to stand there and argue with each other? Dress appropriately or order room service.

I got a chance to speak with a member of the Purser’s staff while at the Captain’s cocktail party. She’s in charge of the shops so I asked about the cheap table tat and how it makes an elegant ship look like a flea market. She argued that most of the passengers are Britannia and the lower price points give them something affordable to buy. So there you have it – it makes money and many passengers have little or no money to spend.

You are right, she is wrong.

Yes, it probably does make money for Cunard but it does look like a flea market and really isn't suitable. For Cunard standards we probably didn't spend a lot of money on board (don't gamble, not heavy drinkers) but it still wasn't something we had expected.

I pass the Royal Court Theater and hear a presentation in German winding up – apparently there has been a separate program ongoing for the German speaking passengers – 568 of them.

The seperate program was a joke.

It consisted of five items (two 45-minute introductions to the two German guest lecturers, two readings, one presentation of "50 years of Golden Camera") over nine days plus a few German hand outs and I think one or two ship tours (deck 2 and 3) that were conducted in German (plus of course the German translation of the midday announcement).

With the level of English some of the German guest had (little to none) that was really not a lot. Especially as they heavily marketed it as a "50 years of Golden Camera" cruise on the German market and a readers' tour of a large magazine for the Southampton to Hamburg part.

Had we not been able to appreciate the regular program we would have been bored out of our minds. I schlepped poor DH with his mediocre English to RADA, he suffered through it, twice. Good husband.

The program for Monday has appeared and a "Chocolate and Ice Buffet" is listed [...] "a photo opportunity not to be missed". (I hope there is none of the shameful behavior that was reported on the QE a couple of years ago – line cutting, waste, and overall boorish behavior.)

It was a photo opportunity for sure - unfortunately it really should have been a photo opportunity only, or so I think. I just got a few little treats, everything looked lovely but except for the chocolate covered strawberries nothing we tried really tasted good. I found the cakes rather dry and the chocolate mousse lacking in flavour.

All the line cutting I saw was due to people a) stopping to take pictures for an 'excessive' amount of time or b) being asked to please just walk past the people who were serving themselves from the first part of the buffet as they had set the same up twice.

All four are first timers on Cunard and they express disappointment in the experience versus advertised expectations. I don’t think they will sail Cunard again but will just mark this off as saying they once did transatlantic and that it was “all right” but not “great”. They’re far more affluent than myself and have stayed at five star resorts, so they have high standards for comparison.

Our experience (though Britannia) was similar, I have to admit. Maybe we are not Cunard's target group (mid 30s, not UK/US) and we really did enjoy the voyage... but I doubt we'll be back. The value-for-money ratio was amazing but only because it was dirt cheap (two-day "super sale" in Germany for less than half-price).

It was nice. And all I can really compare it to is our Celebrity Eclipse TA in 2013 but we enjoyed that one much more.

We thought food was better on Celebrity (choice and quality, I never had anything that wasn't fully cooked on Celebrity), we liked the ship better (layout and decoration - though layout of course will boil down to ocean liner vs. cruise ship), we really missed the interactive tv (to check on onboard spending, order room service or watch movies on demand instead of 67 minutes of spa 'commercial' with classical background music), and the bathroom set-up was much more to our liking on Eclipse (including storage space).

Service and entertainment were of similar quality (we experienced horrific service in the pub but really hope it was an exception) but Celebrity manged not to constantly overlap activities (we got out of Romeo & Juliet in RCT maybe two minutes before Wedding Crashers started in Illuminations, which of course overlapped with Afternoon tea... the Welcome show overlapped with Late Dining and with many people arriving quite late I assume also with Early Dining...).

Best food & service we had was in Kings Court Alternative Dining (we did American Bistro and Coriander and loved both). Best starter and main course on the whole voyage (American Bistro) and amazing (!) service.

I can't really compare cabins as we had a Concierge Cabin on Celebrity and an Inside on Cunard but from what I have seen the Inside cabins on Eclipse were quite a bit larger (the sitting area on QM2 was a joke, an uncomfortable chair and a tiny table that barely fit a room service tray). I will just not start on carpets (and what is it with the stains? there was a huge stain on day 1, which was cleaned on day 2 and was back by day 3) or decor.

With the wind and the lowish temperatures we would have appreciated had blankets been provided on the outside decks (as Celebrity did).

One more remark ;) I really think the outside deck(s) need a "slippery even if not wet" warning. No matter which shoes I was wearing, I slipped at least once a day.

We really liked it - we just didn't love it.

For a similar price we will do it again but we'd never consider paying full price. Celebrity's "modern luxury" appealed to us much more than Cunard's "luxury" (which I found similar to the luxury of a Turkish 5* hotel).

A fifth table mate will remain on the ship until she returns to New York. This person is not thrilled about the coming 2-day “booze cruises” to and from Hamburg but mobility issues leave them with few travel choices.

We had dinner in Todd English early after leaving Southampton (6.30 pm) and I really wish we'd picked a different night. I realize the weather was great and people enjoyed sitting out on deck but jumping into the pool, obviously trying to splash as much as possible? Not abiding even to informal dress code (saw plenty of blue jeans). The view was not great. It fit the scene that one of the waiters was missing a button on his vest, one guest wore blue jeans and one of the other guests was so rude to the staff that I was close to applogizing to them in the name of all fellow Germans on board. Best desser on the voyage (Chocolate Fallen Cake).

The last two days were also considered a seperate cruise with no foreign port so UK tax was charged on goods... yeah... I would have loved to be told before the stores closed the night before Southampton (never got next days daily before dinner). I paid 20% tax on an item that I could have bought tax free a day earlier. Not a happy camper.

We found the last two days far too crowded but even though both nights were informal we saw quite a few tuxedos, dark suits (with tie) and long evening dresses (some were dressed up so much that I really felt under dressed in a LBD).

"...Most women I saw wore dresses, the rest did dress smartly (elegant pants and sparkly blouse). I saw maybe two or three women whom I would not have considered at least somewhat formal (and those would have found it difficult to find formal dress due to body type, especially if they were German which I know one was)..."

Body type is no excuse. A national bridal chain, which sells through retail stores and onine, has dozens of "special occasion" dresses with many available in "plus" sizes, petite sizes, extra long sizes as well as styles appropriate for very mature women. A nice evening dress can be ordered for prices from $89 to about $200. Very reasonable even for a "wear to work" dress. It's not from the Fashion Week runway but looks very nice and very appropriate. Some don't want to try.

I am In the Plus to Super Plus category and have no problem finding lovely and appropriate things to wear for formal evenings on Cunard ships. It does require a bit of work to identify places from where to purchase, but there are many many beautiful choices these days. Not like it used to be. My size 12 mother sometimes laments why aren't these gorgeous things offered in HER size? Many large size women have just given up trying to find anything appropriate for formal or dressy occasions. German women, in particular, should t as there are nice stores in Germany which offer plus to Super Plus sizes. Ulla Popken being one. My daughter lives in Oldenburg and tells me they have 3 stores which carry those size ranges. BlueRiband, excellent observation. Personally, if I had to show up at some affair wearing a name brand designer formal dress, I wouldn't be afraid. They're out there, you just have to look. In fact just today I spotted a Monique Lluhlier gown on the Neiman Marcus Last Call website for sale in plus sizes. Pricy, but available. They also had silk chiffon evening gowns in plus sizes.

I am so enjoying these reports. Thank you very much.

My thoughts on formal dress:- up until about 10 years ago' date=' formal dinners at the golf club meant that the ladies always, always wore long dresses. However, this is not the case now. So, on land, the same thing has happened. Men can and do manage with one dinner suit and perhaps ring the changes with a variety of bow ties. Not so for women. Perhaps many women will feel that buying two or three long outfits for their cruises would be rather a waste of money, money which might be spent on better or more things.

Just throwing this thought into the pot![/quote']

I think it also depends on the fashions at the time. I've noticed, from photos that of seen of my late-teenaged granddaughter's formals, that some of the girls are wearing short dresses and some long, and at the moment there is a fashion for a short shirt with a longer half overskirt at the back.

I'm sticking to long dresses or evening skirts and tops. Short dresses no longer suit me. :(

I am In the Plus to Super Plus category and have no problem finding lovely and appropriate things to wear for formal evenings

Wish it was that easy down here in Australia. :(

Clothing choices for plus sizes are very poor, particularly formalwear.