Disembark Copenhagen-Customs?

I'm trying to determine what time I need to be off the ship to head to the airport for a noon flight when we return to Copenhagen.

I thought I read somewhere that we do not go through passport control or customs when we disembark. Is this correct?

But we would go through something at CPH airport? We will be flying Copenhagen to Toronto (and then on to the US-Chicago O'Hare from there).

Does anyone have any input on the disembarkation procedure as well as the airports we will need to go through passport control or through customs?

• 2 weeks later...

When I disembarked from a cruise in Copenhagen a week ago, there was no passport control or customs -- we exited the ship, gathered our luggage, and left the port.

At the airport, in addition to showing a passport at check-in and at the security checkpoint, we did have to wait in a line for passport control before reaching our gate.

We stayed a few days in Copenhagen after the cruise, and left our hotel near Tivoli at 10 am for a 12:15 pm flight. This gave us enough time to grab lunch at the airport.

We disembarked yesterday in Copenhagen and flew home same day...other than waiting in line for passport control no issues. It is however a VERY busy airport so allow plenty of time. We arrived at the airport three hours prior but really did not need that much time

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Agree with above. We ended our cruise last week in CPH. Air Canada does not begin checking in until 3 hours prior to the flight. We left at 8:00 from the pier, got the to airport (on a DCL transfer bus) at 8:35, and stood around until the desks opened, where we waited another 45 minutes to check in. The security screening was fast, the customs line was fast, and the passport control at our gate was fast.

It is a busy and somewhat chaotic airport. That said, we still had plenty of time to get lunch to go prior to our 12:15 flight.

We flew from Copenhagen to Boston yesterday. We did the self-disembark option from the ship and were at the airport by 8:30 AM. We were warned that there would be limited taxi service from the cruise terminal, but we waited no more than 10 minutes in the taxi line. Be aware that at CPH you are not allowed to check-in until approx 3 hours before departure. There is a Burger King and a Starbuck's - nothing else, no comfortable place to wait prior to check-in.

Once you are checked in and have dropped your luggage you may proceed up to the gate areas. Beware if you are flying Air Canada, they were trying to enforce completely different rules on luggage than those when we left. They weighed both our checked bag and small carryon together for total weight and wanted me and my DH to check our carryons (for an additional $100 each). She said we obviously did not read the baggage restrictions - guess not, but we were not alone! They also said a backpack is not considered a "personal item", like a purse or tote bag (i do not carry a purse and my backpack fits easily under the seat). A number of passengers were very irate and the counter agent finally got approval from a supervisor to "make an exception" for us.

There are tons of shops and places to eat. That being said - our actual gate area for Air Canada was not opened until boarding time so if you want to relax, you might look closer to the eating and shopping venues.

We had a 5-10 munite wait at security and no wait at a "passport check point" at CPH.

Toronto was another story!

It took us an hour to clear US border and customs control after leaving the plane. The area for US residents to make connections was a long walk from our arrival gate. You will be required to enter info electronically at an unmanned kiosk, then you wait in a large area until your name appears on a screen, (this is while your individual baggage is being unloaded and transferred - you do not need to get your own baggage). Once your name is displayed to are allowed to enter the security checkpoint and passport control. If you have Global Entry, be sure to ask for directions. We found out later we could have had the process expedited, but saw no signage as to how or where. We barely made our connection.

Edited by sippican

We flew from Copenhagen to Boston yesterday. We did the self-disembark option from the ship and were at the airport by 8:30 AM. We were warned that there would be limited taxi service from the cruise terminal, but we waited no more than 10 minutes in the taxi line. Be aware that at CPH you are not allowed to check-in until approx 3 hours before departure. There is a Burger King and a Starbuck's - nothing else, no comfortable place to wait prior to check-in.

Once you are checked in and have dropped your luggage you may proceed up to the gate areas. Beware if you are flying Air Canada, they were trying to enforce completely different rules on luggage than those when we left. They weighed both our checked bag and small carryon together for total weight and wanted me and my DH to check our carryons (for an additional $100 each). She said we obviously did not read the baggage restrictions - guess not, but we were not alone! They also said a backpack is not considered a "personal item", like a purse or tote bag (i do not carry a purse and my backpack fits easily under the seat). A number of passengers were very irate and the counter agent finally got approval from a supervisor to "make an exception" for us.

There are tons of shops and places to eat. That being said - our actual gate area for Air Canada was not opened until boarding time so if you want to relax, you might look closer to the eating and shopping venues.

We had a 5-10 munite wait at security and no wait at a "passport check point" at CPH.

Toronto was another story!

It took us an hour to clear US border and customs control after leaving the plane. The area for US residents to make connections was a long walk from our arrival gate. You will be required to enter info electronically at an unmanned kiosk, then you wait in a large area until your name appears on a screen, (this is while your individual baggage is being unloaded and transferred - you do not need to get your own baggage). Once your name is displayed to are allowed to enter the security checkpoint and passport control. If you have Global Entry, be sure to ask for directions. We found out later we could have had the process expedited, but saw no signage as to how or where. We barely made our connection.

WOW! Thanks for that information! We are booked on United, but code share with Canada Air (so operated by Canada Air, and I assume we check in with them in CPH). I will print out everything I have from the ticket about luggage because it definitely does not mention anything about combining weight on checked and carry on luggage! We pretty much pack our checked luggage to 48-49 pounds for each bag (2 total for 2 of us) and then stuff everything else in our backpacks. That could be bad, although I was contemplating a 3rd suit case since our first bag is free. Something to consider.

Thank you for setting my expectation in Toronto. I was hoping it would not be that long of a wait, but we do have a 3 hour lay over so we should be fine. We only have a 50 minute lay over in Chicago before our flight to Springfield so it's a good thing we'll go through US Customs in Toronto.

Stupid question--is it possible to go outside in Toronto before going through US Customs and Border Control? Since we will have been in the air for 9+ hours and then a 3 hour lay over, I'd like to get fresh air, if possible.

WOW! Thanks for that information! We are booked on United, but code share with Canada Air (so operated by Canada Air, and I assume we check in with them in CPH). I will print out everything I have from the ticket about luggage because it definitely does not mention anything about combining weight on checked and carry on luggage! We pretty much pack our checked luggage to 48-49 pounds for each bag (2 total for 2 of us) and then stuff everything else in our backpacks. That could be bad, although I was contemplating a 3rd suit case since our first bag is free. Something to consider.

Stupid question--is it possible to go outside in Toronto before going through US Customs and Border Control? Since we will have been in the air for 9+ hours and then a 3 hour lay over, I'd like to get fresh air, if possible.

After reviewing Air Canada's baggage policy today, I found we were in compliance with all guidelines. There is nothing about combined weight of checked bags and carry-ons. They even list backpacks as personal items, I have filed a written complaint with customer service (not that it will get me anything, but I got iit off my chest).

As far as leaving the airport - I'm not sure but I would think it's not possible since your bags would be inside. It might be worth calling to find out. The Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge is fabulous. It may be worth finding out if you can pay a fee to use it. Very comfortable, wonderful food and drinks, absolutely worth a splurge. (We flew business class over and spent some time there between flights.)

Sippican or anyone else who has been in the Copenhagen airport:

We are also taking the 12:15 Air Canada flight directly to Toronto. Our daughter will be flying on Lufthsansa to JFK. Did you happen to notice if Lufthsansa is in the same area as Air Canada so that we can wait together after we go through the passport and security lines?

Thanks so much.

Sippican or anyone else who has been in the Copenhagen airport:

We are also taking the 12:15 Air Canada flight directly to Toronto. Our daughter will be flying on Lufthsansa to JFK. Did you happen to notice if Lufthsansa is in the same area as Air Canada so that we can wait together after we go through the passport and security lines?

Thanks so much.

If they are both departing from Terminal 3, I believe all international gates are off the same general area. The many shops and places to eat would all be acessible prior to going to the departure gates, but after security.

No, you will not be allowed to leave the terminal. International thru-traffic travelers are kept inside. That said, I guess you could try, but I'd very hesitant, as that adds several more layers of customs and security.

As for Global Entry, a few key points. The check in kiosk at US customs (step 1) would not process dd's, meaning we had to go to another desk to get that last one of 8 done. Then, after our luggage cleared on the screen (step 2), the actual US customs (step 3) kiosks for the Global Entry did not work. The customs officer finally came over, thinking we were doing something wrong and finally said "Oh, I guess I need to reboot these, again." He did graciously offer to then process the 8 of us right then. All these steps took longer than just standing in the regular lines when it was said and done.

Then, going "out" thru Canadian customs, you can fast track only if you have the actual Global Entry card. Dh was furious, as the US website specifically says not to carry it, but Canada says they have no idea who is Global Entry w/o the card. So back to the regular line again. (FWIW, I told dh to carry them anyways, but why listen to me? ;) )