Recent "Anthem of the seas" cruise 😡

Hi

I'm new to this forum and well I never thought I would ever need to become a member of this forum to air my thoughts on my recent holiday (10 night gran canaria cruise) on board the "anthem of the seas " .

We have sailed before on Jewel / legend / independence x 3 & Adventure of the seas so we are no new cruisers on royal Caribbean ships but as soon as we heard about the Anthem we booked as soon as it was on sale!

We looked forward to boarding this new super ship for just under a year and when we finally arrived in Southampton and boarded we were really amazed by the new modern look etc and we really liked the restaurants & shows plus the new show venues .

But we came back feeling very gutted & under whelmed due to several reasons ..! :mad:

Firstly 50% of the staff on board haven't a clue what they are doing , we experienced rude members of staff in the Two70 venue particularly in the cafe , there were also members of staff in and around the pool areas / promenade & windjammer which lacked experience & training to cope with certain situations or serving customers!

We had a really bad experience with the adventure ocean staff involving our daughter - we booked to go on the fire mountains & camel ride excursion in Lanzorote but our daughter (8yr) didn't want to go so we took her to breakfast at 6am and then booked her into the adventure ocean kids club at 6.30am where we told them that we are going off on an excursion and won't be back till after 12.30pm in which the lady said no problem we will take all the kids to lunch today and will return back at the adventure ocean room at 1pm for us to collect our daughter! When we returned to the ship at 12.30pm we went and had lunch in the windjammer to then return to our room to freshen up and go to collect our daughter at just after 1pm , but whilst in our stateroom we notice we had an answer phone message so I proceeded to listen to it , our first message was at 9am from a male member of the adventure ocean team saying that please could you collect your child at no later then 12noon / 2nd message at 11.30am again saying please remember to collect your child before 12noon as they would be closed and not taking any child to lunch / 3rd message 11.50am again staying the same as above / 4th message 12.10pm this time alittle ratty and obviously unhappy member of staff saying we are late picking up our daughter and we should collect her ASAP / 5th call my wife answered & by this time I was already on way to the adventure ocean rooms to collect my daughter ! When I got there they said I was over an hour late in which I replied no we have been on an excursion and I was told you were taking all the kids to lunch and we should collect our daughter after 1pm in reply they said well we haven't done lunch today and your late..! But on this occasion we will not charge you but you do need to take your child now as we are closed. :mad::mad:

I couldn't believe that my daughter had been with these people for over 6 hours and they didn't feel the need to take her or the rest of the children to lunch ! I would like to add that on other ships when the boat is in port & parents decide to go on excursions, the childre can stay on board at the adventure ocean club and they have always taken the children to lunch at 12noon . This is totally u except able and I would like to warn all parents going aboard the Anthem to be careful as I wouldn't wish for this to happen to any other child as its left my daughter up set and uncomfortable to ever go back to the adventure ocean clubs , we obviously complained but royal Caribbean have yet to reply and to be honest I don't expect they will :mad:.

Other problems included being charged to use the sauna & steam room ($25 per day or $99 for whole duration of cruise) when normally this is free to use

Johnny Rockets was like a morgue totally revamped and not like on other ships , no singing and dancing staff just 2 very moody cooks that took the order cooked it and they asked you to wait without serving it like on other ships !

Arcade was advertised as free but it wasn't !

The windjammer food selection is a lot less then on the adventure / independence / jewel & legend of the seas

When you buy a cocktail you don't get the novelty glasses !

Staff arguing over each other in the dining areas

If you like the on board bingo well you might as well give it a miss , we went 4 times and the venue (music hall lower level) just isn't big enough to cope with everyone who wants to play , hence many many people walked in and then out dismayed by no room unlike on the independence in the pyramid bar is sufficient

The on board shops are totally naff , I was looking forward to buying some new aftershave but all they had was outdated products nothing new or relevant.

The on board duty free shop lacked spirit choice , several whiskey choices & a couple of rums but no southern comfort / no Tia Maria / no Smirnoff vodka

The bionic bar kept breaking down and every time I went passed it was empty so to much of a gimmick .

There were other problems but way to many to list and I would safely say I won't be going on board the "anthem of the seas" again , I know I'm not the only one who has complained , the guest relations desks were full of queues pretty much everyday from 8am til 10.30pm , I over heard a lot of people talking about how bad there cruise was compared to other ships they had been on .

Overall I give it a 4/10 please go careful if your seriously thinking about booking to go on this ship .

Hi

I'm new to this forum and well I never thought I would ever need to become a member of this forum to air my thoughts on my recent holiday (10 night gran canaria cruise) on board the "anthem of the seas " .

We have sailed before on Jewel / legend / independence x 3 & Adventure of the seas so we are no new cruisers on royal Caribbean ships but as soon as we heard about the Anthem we booked as soon as it was on sale!

We looked forward to boarding this new super ship for just under a year and when we finally arrived in Southampton and boarded we were really amazed by the new modern look etc and we really liked the restaurants & shows plus the new show venues .

But we came back feeling very gutted & under whelmed due to several reasons ..! :mad:

Firstly 50% of the staff on board haven't a clue what they are doing , we experienced rude members of staff in the Two70 venue particularly in the cafe , there were also members of staff in and around the pool areas / promenade & windjammer which lacked experience & training to cope with certain situations or serving customers!

We had a really bad experience with the adventure ocean staff involving our daughter - we booked to go on the fire mountains & camel ride excursion in Lanzorote but our daughter (8yr) didn't want to go so we took her to breakfast at 6am and then booked her into the adventure ocean kids club at 6.30am where we told them that we are going off on an excursion and won't be back till after 12.30pm in which the lady said no problem we will take all the kids to lunch today and will return back at the adventure ocean room at 1pm for us to collect our daughter! When we returned to the ship at 12.30pm we went and had lunch in the windjammer to then return to our room to freshen up and go to collect our daughter at just after 1pm , but whilst in our stateroom we notice we had an answer phone message so I proceeded to listen to it , our first message was at 9am from a male member of the adventure ocean team saying that please could you collect your child at no later then 12noon / 2nd message at 11.30am again saying please remember to collect your child before 12noon as they would be closed and not taking any child to lunch / 3rd message 11.50am again staying the same as above / 4th message 12.10pm this time alittle ratty and obviously unhappy member of staff saying we are late picking up our daughter and we should collect her ASAP / 5th call my wife answered & by this time I was already on way to the adventure ocean rooms to collect my daughter ! When I got there they said I was over an hour late in which I replied no we have been on an excursion and I was told you were taking all the kids to lunch and we should collect our daughter after 1pm in reply they said well we haven't done lunch today and your late..! But on this occasion we will not charge you but you do need to take your child now as we are closed. :mad::mad:

I couldn't believe that my daughter had been with these people for over 6 hours and they didn't feel the need to take her or the rest of the children to lunch ! I would like to add that on other ships when the boat is in port & parents decide to go on excursions, the childre can stay on board at the adventure ocean club and they have always taken the children to lunch at 12noon . This is totally u except able and I would like to warn all parents going aboard the Anthem to be careful as I wouldn't wish for this to happen to any other child as its left my daughter up set and uncomfortable to ever go back to the adventure ocean clubs , we obviously complained but royal Caribbean have yet to reply and to be honest I don't expect they will :mad:.

Other problems included being charged to use the sauna & steam room ($25 per day or $99 for whole duration of cruise) when normally this is free to use

Johnny Rockets was like a morgue totally revamped and not like on other ships , no singing and dancing staff just 2 very moody cooks that took the order cooked it and they asked you to wait without serving it like on other ships !

The windjammer food selection is a lot less then on the adventure / independence / jewel & legend of the seas

If you like the on board bingo well you might as well give it a miss , we went 4 times and the venue (music hall lower level) just isn't big enough to cope with everyone who wants to play , hence many many people walked in and then out dismayed by no room unlike on the independence in the pyramid bar is sufficient

The on board shops are totally naff , I was looking forward to buying some new aftershave but all they had was outdated products nothing new or relevant.

The on board duty free shop lacked spirit choice , several whiskey choices & a couple of rums but no southern comfort / no Tia Maria / no Smirnoff vodka

The bionic bar kept breaking down and every time I went passed it was empty so to much of a gimmick .

There were other problems but way to many to list and I would safely say I won't be going on board the "anthem of the seas" again , I know I'm not the only one who has complained , the guest relations desks were full of queues pretty much everyday from 8am til 10.30pm , I over heard a lot of people talking about how bad there cruise was compared to other ships they had been on .

Overall I give it a 4/10 please go careful if your seriously thinking about booking to go on this ship .

I'm booked on a 12 day cruise out of Bayonne and guess what......I'm going and can't wait....K.O.:D:eek:

I think many are going to be very happy to see Indy and Navigator in Southampton next season.

While $99 for the whole sailing for a paid thermal suite on a cruise ship is actually very good for a 12 night cruise, for me the problem was that RCI's supplier Steiner have a very poor 'thermal suite' on RCI ships. Their spas on NCL are far superior. That makes the complementary steam and sauna on pre-Oasis class ships even a greater value.

I am surprised by the Windjammer comments as on Quantum they had an extensive selection and highly upgraded WJ. I am no big fan of buffets, but did find it well designed and really liked the outdoor area aft.

The Johnny Rockets situation and many other of your observations were all known following the Quantum introduction and that is sure where one sees the value of Cruise Critic.

Thanks for your review.

Your review made very interesting reading. We had sailed on Anthem at the beginning of May on one of the 3 nighters. I had hoped as the weeks progressed that the staff may improve but clearly they still have some way to go, God help them when the summer season starts in earnest in a few weeks.

I found the staff in the restaurants very disorganised and there was just not enough bar staff.

Hi

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am really sorry to see that it was not up to your expectations and I can well understand most of your frustration.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but as you rated it 4/10, there were hopefully some positive aspects that you took away from the cruise. Can I ask what those were? Was this the itinerary? Excursions? Family time?

Thanks again for taking the time to review :)

Surprised about the AO staff as they are well educated and trained on dealing with youth

Minimum Requirements:

•Bachelor's degree in education, recreation or related field from an accredited university or college or the international equivalent.

•Three to five years experience working with large groups of youths ages 6 months -17 years.

•Experience working in school sponsored youth groups, YMCA, camps or similar positions preferred.

•Infant and child CPR certification and life saving certification from the American Red Cross or similar certifying organization.

•Working knowledge of computers, internet access and the ability to navigate within a variety of software packages such as Excel, Word and Power Point.

•Ability to speak English clearly, distinctly and cordially with guests

•All international applicants must have the ability to obtain C1/D1 visa (and other relevant visas) when applicable

•Must meet all physical requirements, including the ability to participate in emergency life-saving drills and required training.

Hi

Welcome to Cruise Critic and thank you for sharing your experience with us.

"Arcade was advertised as free but it wasn't !"

Was it a specific hour when it was called "free family arcade" or something like that? If it was, and you went during that time, did you play a plain old videogame (like Ms PacMan or Donkey Kong) or one of the ones that gives out tickets to get prizes? The ones that give tickets are NOT free even during the free family hour.

Sounds like they are going the route of Disney, from some of the things you posted. Charge for the sauna etc (Disney's Rainforest room) and the staff arguing in a public area (we saw two Disney CMs arguing while moving merchandise from one store to the other, in complete public view). That's a bummer.

I'm booked on a 12 day cruise out of Bayonne and guess what......I'm going and can't wait....K.O.:D:eek:

Me too! And twice so far.

Every new ship has its teething problems and they do get resolved with more runs.

The kids club incident is however is totally unacceptable!

I loved the Quantum. We were on one of its 3 day cruise out of Bayonne. The ship is WOW!~ we were totally in awe, so we did not feel the little bumps of the inaugural cruises!

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am really sorry to see that it was not up to your expectations and I can well understand most of your frustration.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but as you rated it 4/10, there were hopefully some positive aspects that you took away from the cruise. Can I ask what those were? Was this the itinerary? Excursions? Family time?

Thanks again for taking the time to review :)

The positives were the headliner shows were just fantastic both "we will rock you " & the "gift" we're really enjoyable to watch and far better then on any of the RCI ships that I've previously been on , tho I did miss the ice shows from off Indi of the seas . Also the food in the American icon grille / Chic / chops grille was outstanding but there were staff issues in the 2 of the restaurants! There was one young lady that was serving in the Two70 cafe who was rude almost every day and at one point I witnessed her pull a face and swear at an olderly couple whilst they walk past her , she obviously didn't like her job...! :eek:

The bumper cars were great but I would of prefered the ice rink & ice shows

"Arcade was advertised as free but it wasn't !"

Was it a specific hour when it was called "free family arcade" or something like that? If it was, and you went during that time, did you play a plain old videogame (like Ms PacMan or Donkey Kong) or one of the ones that gives out tickets to get prizes? The ones that give tickets are NOT free even during the free family hour.

Sounds like they are going the route of Disney

It was wrote on a letter we had back after booking the cruise , it just read enjoy free arcade

But every time my daughter wanted to play on something we were charged which also showed on our account . We couldn't ask at guest relations desk as it was always busy with very long queues & we didn't want to waist our valuable time standing for hours waiting

Surprised about the AO staff as they are well educated and trained on dealing with youth

Minimum Requirements:

•Bachelor's degree in education, recreation or related field from an accredited university or college or the international equivalent.

•Three to five years experience working with large groups of youths ages 6 months -17 years.

•Experience working in school sponsored youth groups, YMCA, camps or similar positions preferred.

•Infant and child CPR certification and life saving certification from the American Red Cross or similar certifying organization.

•Working knowledge of computers, internet access and the ability to navigate within a variety of software packages such as Excel, Word and Power Point.

•Ability to speak English clearly, distinctly and cordially with guests

•All international applicants must have the ability to obtain C1/D1 visa (and other relevant visas) when applicable

•Must meet all physical requirements, including the ability to participate in emergency life-saving drills and required training.

It was a really bad experience which has left my daughter scared and upset! All the other Adventure Ocean staff on INDI / Adventure were fantastic and understanding of the children's needs but it was very different on board the anthem , there was a very subdue atmosphere which was very unusual compared to our other experiences on board other ships

Your poor daughter. I would also be livid if they didn't feed my child after being there for over 6 hours! That's unacceptable.

Sorry you didn't have a good trip.

Normally over the past 10 years of cruising with RCI we have come back refreshed / happy & eager to sail again very soon! But this time round we just feel very very let down and our expectations weren't met and it wasn't just us it was felt by almost everyone we spoke too.

I've never seen so many people queuing at the guest relations desk waiting to complain and with so many upset people it started to emulate to arguing between holiday makers as well as staff!

Overall the ship gave off a bad vibe which generated a bad feeling between fellow cruisers

I agree that sauna and steam rooms should be included in cruise fare. I know only Quantum and Oasis class ships that charge extra. Unfortunately that is just another way how RCI is getting more cash from us.

I just couldn't believe it , I was stood there ready to go in and to be told sorry have you paid....? I was like yes I've paid over £5000 for this holiday and your asking for more to use the sauna and steam rooms..! :mad:

Paying for the wifi on board too is just ridiculous, $15 a day or $150 for whole cruise , I'm not one for spending hours and hours on the internet especially whilst on holiday but I would like to check on emails or listen to music etc whilst sat by the pool etc .

The positives were the headliner shows were just fantastic both "we will rock you " & the "gift" we're really enjoyable to watch and far better then on any of the RCI ships that I've previously been on , tho I did miss the ice shows from off Indi of the seas . Also the food in the American icon grille / Chic / chops grille was outstanding but there were staff issues in the 2 of the restaurants! There was one young lady that was serving in the Two70 cafe who was rude almost every day and at one point I witnessed her pull a face and swear at an olderly couple whilst they walk past her , she obviously didn't like her job...! :eek:

The bumper cars were great but I would of prefered the ice rink & ice shows

Thanks for letting me know.

I agree about the ice shows, the ones I have seen have, for me, usually always far surpass stage shows with the possible exception of the Broadway productions like Chicago etc.

It is a shame that staffing issues caused so many problems but sadly, regardless of the nature of business, it is something that is witnessed and experienced far too often these days. Shouldn't be the case of course but usually is.

I agree that sauna and steam rooms should be included in cruise fare. I know only Quantum and Oasis class ships that charge extra. Unfortunately that is just another way how RCI is getting more cash from us.

Agreed.

Paying for the wifi on board too is just ridiculous, $15 a day or $150 for whole cruise , I'm not one for spending hours and hours on the internet especially whilst on holiday but I would like to check on emails or listen to music etc whilst sat by the pool etc .

Of course, that's what everyone would like to do. Can you imagine if it was free? It would take even longer than it already does. Charging for Internet is a huge money-maker for the cruise line. WiFi will never be free (some upper tier Crown and Anchor members get some complimentary Internet access though).

You can listen to music for free with an iPod or similar. You don't have to stream music and pay for it.

It was wrote on a letter we had back after booking the cruise , it just read enjoy free arcade

But every time my daughter wanted to play on something we were charged which also showed on our account . We couldn't ask at guest relations desk as it was always busy with very long queues & we didn't want to waist our valuable time standing for hours waiting

For future reference, you don't have to stand in line for this, just sit on the edge of your cabin bed and call GS from your cabin. They can handle lots of things over the phone. They are open 24/7

Edited by setsail

For future reference, you don't have to stand in line for this, just sit on the edge of your cabin bed and call GS from your cabin. They can handle lots of things over the phone. They are open 24/7

I tried calling GS from my cabin on Quantum for a few minor issues and never got through.

I went down in the wee hours of the morning and there was no line.