FLL Beach Day Post Cruise

We are sailing from FLL on RCCL in September. Flight from FLL home on Sunday isn't until 5:30 PM. Planning to use the luggage valet service, so we won't have to deal with bags.

Planning (weather permitting) a self directed beach day. Thought we'd do a taxi from Port Everglades to the beach. This will be so much better than sitting at the airport for HOURS!

Any suggestions as to what area of the beach might work best? I know there is lots of beach, so just looking for a spot that has some beach, maybe can rent a couple of loungers, some shade, a basic restaurant for lunch, and maybe a shower to rinse of at after we're done.

Or, is there a place that offers access to facilities for a reasonable price?

Maybe that's hoping for too much. But, figured someone else has done this and can offer some personal experience.

The only real day pass offered has been at Rodeway Inn, which is a dump. $49- We did this last year on Easter Sunday just to have a room for wifi- (we had enough sun and sand by that point) We check in at 10:00.

We spent the day, using the mall next store for a movie and a pleasant lunch at TGIF. We spent a couple of hours fooling around on our netbooks, free wifi, in the hotel room, which for a day pass was just fine. We had rented a small car, just big enough for our hand luggage and the two of us (like you, took advantage of the cruise ship having sent our luggage to the airport in advance.)

Left again at 12:30 to go to mall next door- very long walk so we took the car. 1:00- 2:00 had lunch. 2:15 until 4:15 saw a movie. Then we just checked out of the room, returned the car at FLL and headed for the Jet BLue flights. Had about 1 hour until boarding time. (I should add that the mall next store had a subway sandwhich shop, so we purchased a couple of subs, cookies, to sustain us until we landed back in California. IF it weren't Easter Sunday, we would like we are doing next January, just go with rental car to Aventura Mall to hang out for the day, (lunch, movie, wifi at food court)-- we are only two of us, so we don't want' to spend the money as suggested below-- unless someone on our roll call would "split" the cost with us.

Someone on this board, suggested using Priceline, hotwire to get the cheapest beach hotel. The hotel would then "hold" your luggage while you spend the day at the resort. Then you "check in" at the earliest time you can, use the room to shower and change, then check out as you leave for your flight. It will still cost you probably between $150 and $200 for that room, but if you are many people, you can split the cost.

Edited by Jetswdo

The only real day pass offered has been at Rodeway Inn, which is a dump. $49- We did this last year on Easter Sunday

See these recent threads about the Renaissance Hotel now offering day passes:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2201981

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2201984

Since it is September and off season, I would call the W Hotel about a cabana. They have tvs and showers and the pool is the BOMB!! It is across the street from the beach.

Also, look into pricelining a room. Because it is off season, I'm sure you'd be able to check in early.

The Rodeway and Renaissance are not on the beach.

Yes, the W Hotel pool cabanas are very nice.

If you don't care for this option, just take a taxi to Beach Place. There are public restrooms and places to eat lunch, right across the street from the beach.

Just checked, it is now from 11-5:00 $95.00 just for room. $12.95 for wifi. $25 to park rental car if getting one. It think I would only do this if another couple would split the cost of the room. For two people, I don't think this is good value. In defense of Rodeway Inn: If you are just going to use the room itself for a few hours, wifi and parking is free-- I wouldn't use that hotel unless we had a rental car to be elsewhere for most of the day.

• 3 weeks later...

As an update, we've been able to arrange with the Sea Club Resort a great deal.

We stay there pre-cruise for one night, then, upon our return, are welcome to use their facilities, including their beach chairs and towels. Also, we can use their pool if we like.

So, for no more money than a nights' stay (which we are doing anyways), we get our beach day at their facility.