Looking to Book first cruise. Advice appreciated

djBobby

Hello to all,

as the title suggests i'm looking to book my first cruise for some time in september. I'm 33 years old and going to be a solo traveller, I pretty much am decided on the med but that's when the problems start! I've been reading and looking now for the last 2 weeks at various options but am struggling to decide on a cruise line that may be best suited to me.

I spoke to a travel agent last week who has recommended p&o Oceana as a good introduction to cruising for myself, but after all the reading etc i'm not sure that this is best suited to me, other lines seem to offer more in terms of entertainment, facilities and so on.

every time i look i keep coming back to NCL Epic, i'd love to do a royal caribbean cruise but the price jumps considerably between the 2.

I was hoping that there may be others in a similar boat to me (pardon the pun) and/or more seasoned cruisers that may be able to offer a little advice.

So heres a brief rundown.....

solo traveller

looking for a little relaxation and recharge time,

wishing to pack the dslr and do some sightseeing

but also have some decent entertainment options on board.

Finally.... im pretty flexible on when in september i can go, a few weeks notice should be enough so am i best waiting till nearer the time and checking for late deals or booking early and getting it out the way?

Thanks in advance,

Rob :)

European cruises then to be port intensive, so I pay more attention to the itinerary than to the ship.

I think NCL Epic has single cabins that are less expensive than booking a regular cabin solo. I think they may also be smaller and all inside.

Hi Paul, thanks for the reply.

from what can I've seen during my research is that a studio cabin is going to be nigh on impossible at this point so whichever line i use its likely I'm going to have to pay the single supplement for an inside cabin.

Can you narrow it down by area of the Med. Generally there are Eastern, Western and Grand Med cruises. East & West are pretty obvious. Grand would include the major ports/cities in the Med. These might be Barcelona, Florence (Livorno), Rome (Civitivecchia), Naples, Athens, Santorini, and Istanbul.

Even if you aren't able to get a solo cabin on the EPIC you can still join the group in the Living Room!! They meet nightly and will usually go off to dinner together and eat as a group. You do not have to participate if you don't want to, but it is fun going to shows and other things with others. There are places to go if you just want to be by yourself.

The Living Room also has a bar area, as well as the fancy coffee machine that dispenses free coffee (same set up as the pay coffee in the Atrium Cafe), and during the day there are snacks set up in there and light breakfast items in the morning.

Seriously look into the Studio Cabins, they are quiet and there is storage space plenty in them, I had a wonderful time in one. I think the demographic might be more to your age as well, with great shows and many many different included dining venues. IMG_0006-1.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

I had also looked at the jade, i suppose its more NCL I've been looking at rather than specifically the epic.

A cruise is something I've always wanted to do but now i look at it the amount of lines and ships is pretty daunting and I'm a bit worried about getting the wrong one.

Studio cabins do look amazing and i'll definitely be trying to go down that road (does the jade have these to?) but as i said i'm not really hopeful that at this late stage any of the limited number will be available. i'm led to believe these sell out fast?

Does anybody have any thoughts on the book now or risk looking for a late deal?

This is not meant as a knock on any cruise line. They all have some things that they do real well and others that they lack a little on. As this is your first cruise, you will not be looking at the cruise and saying "on my other cruise....". Don't over think it. Just enjoy

No, the JADE doesn't have Studio Cabins.

As to whether to book now or wait.... its a crap shoot. Follow the prices for a few weeks to see where they are heading. You can get an idea. Also check to see what incentives are out there, free beverage package, free dining package for upcharge restaurants, On Board Credit, etc.

If you can wait....final payments are due 90 days (approx) before sailing and if people need to cancel they will do it just prior to that date, you might get lucky in getting a cabin if the cruise line needs to fill empty cabins. They do not like to sail empty, but they will discount.

Edited by Sauer-kraut

Thanks for that. I think its getting close to 90 days to the time i'm looking at round about now so i'll keep checking and see what happens. fingers crossed.

I'm terribly excited about the whole idea yet incredibly nervous at the same time

"Don't over think it. Just enjoy" - sounds like wise words :)

right i think this is the final question.... for now :)

I think I'm going to go for the adriatic, greece and turkey sailing from venice onboard the Jade for late september.

Looking on the ncl website this package is nearly £400 dearer for a fly cruise. I've looked around and can arrange my own flights and an extra night in venice on return for a snip over £200

Would people recommend fly cruise for a first timer or am i better building my own package and saving a few bob?

I've done it both ways - the fly cruise is easier in that your transfers are included but that isn't a major problem in Venice.

If you are a fairly confident traveller booking your own will give you a lot more flexibility and if it saves money I would probably choose that option.

Have a great time

From what I've seen everything seems to be with in reasonable travelling distance there? Flights in are early morning so plenty of time to navigate my way there, return looked a little close check in was mid morning and I think it only left a couple of hours to disembark and travel. Hence looking at the extra night. Seems pretty obvious to me that half the price and a extra night should win hands down but it's always best to check with those that have the experience.

We did stay extra nights before rather than after, there is more of a risk flying in the same day but plenty of people do it.

Where would you be flying from ?

If flying same day I would have a back up plan to get to the first port just in case !

If I had to choose I would stay before rather than after.

I'd be flying from Manchester, I think flights land around 9am local time and departure is listed as 18:00. Not sure how long before you should arrive but I figured that should leave plenty of time even if there was delays etc.

as mentioned it was the final day that worried me more. I think arrival in Venice was 8:00 and flight was at 11:15 which doesn't leave much room for error/problems.

Thanks, I've already had a nose round on there but will be sure to take a proper look and keep checking back. I'm sure I'm going to have plenty of ncl related questions in the run up

Edited by djBobby

Would be happy to answer any questions you have. We sailed May 16-23 2015 and stayed a night after. The flight in landed at 11:00 and we made the ship in plenty of time. Check in was a little slow. Still we were on board with time to explore and have a cocktail before muster drill. Good Luck!!! :cool:

Thanks, i might take you up on that, i'm sure i'm going to have plenty of questions. On the plus side to I've just had a friend message me interested in joining so there may be scope for some more savings :)

It all depends on how adventurous you are. I always arrange my own flights. My first time to Venice we had the TA (not the cruise line) book the cabin and transfers. the next year, I booked my own hotel and did DIY transfers...Shuttle from airport to Piazzale Roma, then walk across to our hotel. EM

Yes, do book your own flights....we took NCL's fly/cruise package to Jade when she was in Barcelona, from Newcastle, and they routed us via Amsterdam.....long waits, so it took all day. In fact, we sat in Barcelona watching Easy Jet fly out, about 11am, due to land in 2 1/2 hours in N/C, whilst we landed after 6pm and missed our last train back to Cumbria.

We love Jade, and have been on her twice...very friendly staff.

In future, if you want to try a single cabin, there's several on P&O's Azura and Ventura.

Thanks again for the suggestions, i think I'm going to go ahead and arrange my own flights as suggested.

I'm tempted to book the extra day before as suggested earlier but a little worried on return as arrival is stated as 8:00 and flights are either 11:30 or 11:50, doesn't leave much margin for error.