What is there to do in Caribbean Port over nights?

janewe

As I said, I don't think they really gave it much thought. I think in their haste to offer some overnights they really didn't think about the Caribbean at night. There are many places in the world and many ports where overnights make sense. I just don't get what they are doing here.

Of course, you're right. A night in Venice vs a night in St. Kitts or any other Caribbean port:confused. Hmmmm. Let me think about it. Personally, I wouldn't leave the ship, regardless of the port.

I'm a native of the Bronx and feel I know how to survive in NYC even after dark. But years ago I took my wife though some pretty dark streets on our walk back to our hotel. Streets I had walked many times as a bachelor. But at some point it dawned on me that I was risking my wife's safety. How stupid, how careless. I'll never willingly put her in danger again, especially in strange places with high murder rates.

You might want to check to see what your ship is offering for shore excursions when doing over nights.

I think I mentioned this before but you may have not seen the post. The nice Lady from Celebrity who called me in response to my email which complained about losing a Port to sit by a dock on another Island for two days said " I just received a memo and there are plans for excursions, there is a wine tasting planned in Curacao".

She didn't mention any other planned excursions. I am sure there will be some who are thrilled at the likes of this, I am not one of them.

I think I mentioned this before but you may have not seen the post. The nice Lady from Celebrity who called me in response to my email which complained about losing a Port to sit by a dock on another Island for two days said " I just received a memo and there are plans for excursions, there is a wine tasting planned in Curacao".

She didn't mention any other planned excursions. I am sure there will be some who are thrilled at the likes of this, I am not one of them.

I enjoy a good bottle of win now and then..... but that's a poor "replacement" for a lost port.

Of course, you're right. A night in Venice vs a night in St. Kitts or any other Caribbean port:confused. Hmmmm. Let me think about it. Personally, I wouldn't leave the ship, regardless of the port.

I'm a native of the Bronx and feel I know how to survive in NYC even after dark. But years ago I took my wife though some pretty dark streets on our walk back to our hotel. Streets I had walked many times as a bachelor. But at some point it dawned on me that I was risking my wife's safety. How stupid, how careless. I'll never willingly put her in danger again, especially in strange places with high murder rates.

It's nice to see someone taking responsibility for the well being of their family. I don't think there is so much of an issue with being out in the evening in high traffic areas like, before the change, in Curacao until 11 pm. Over nights when few people are around is another matter. Like you, if something were to happen, knowing the facts in advance, it would be hard to live with.

I've been trying to find a sunset cruise now that we're overnighting in St Martin. So there's one on the French side? Is that through Celebrity? I don't see one listed on their excursion page. Any help given is appreciated.

Go through a private tour company. There are many recommended by cruise critic folks on these boards. The ship will be in port overnight so no worries about missing it if you get back a little late. Go to the ports of call board. Enjoy and happy cruising.

And that is the topic of this thread.

Dont change what people booked. Do it for itineraries that have not been made available yet. Hear that Celebrity, I doubt it.

Actually the op asked what is there to do in Caribbean ports overnight. I assumed that was the topic of this thread and not wether Celebrity should have changed the itinarary.

With it getting dark shortly after 6 pm and many having safety concerns of being out late in some Ports does anyone have any input into what there is to do in the evenings in the likes of Curacao?

Has anyone been there recently because when I worked and lived there a number of years ago, there was nothing to do? A few restaurants but no great Bars or Night Clubs.

The previous schedule was for us to be in Port until 11 pm which would have given lots of time for people to go out for a meal. Can anyone shed some light on why we are losing Bonaire to overnight in Curacao? Thank you!

Actually the op asked what is there to do in Caribbean ports overnight. I assumed that was the topic of this thread and not wether Celebrity should have changed the itinarary.

I quoted the OP's original post above yours.

The titile of the thread asked what there was to do but the tone of the post itself was definitely asking why the itinerary was changed.

We are also on a cruise with the altered itinerary and I happen to agree. :( ... :confused: ... :(

Edited by chamima

I quoted the OP's original post above yours.

The titile of the thread asked what there was to do but the tone of the post itself was definitely asking why the itinerary was changed.

We are also on a cruise with the altered itinerary and I happen to agree. :( ... :confused: ... :(

Then the op should change to title of her post. There's already a post about missing Bonaire.

As to why Celebrity has changed the itineraries on some cruises and included an overnight and dropped some ports, we've had 10 pages of speculation.

That's all it is speculation.

Why not ask Celebrity ?

Because Celebrity has already explained why, their research and polling suggested that people wanted Caribbean overnights - however there are some who think that X did this with no polling, contrary to the fact that I and others did receive such surveys about adding caribbean overnights.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6371

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Celebrity-to-add-overnight-port-stays-on-long-Caribbean-cruises

It's possible. It's open until 5PM. One hour ferry ride to the mainland, 2+ hour drive to Chichen Itza. That gives people 90 minutes to 2 hours there. During the spring and summer, there's a light show that begins at 8PM; during the fall and winter it starts at 7PM. So if they package it as a trip there in late afternoon, break for dinner, back for the show, it could be a great excursion.

Also, if Celebrity does want to offer this type of excursion, they could always adjust their arrival time for an hour earlier.

With the amount of time till the first overnight, I am sure some of the wonderful local tour operators have their wheels spinning on how to get re done!

Because Celebrity has already explained why, their research and polling suggested that people wanted Caribbean overnights - however there are some who think that X did this with no polling, contrary to the fact that I and others did receive such surveys about adding caribbean overnights.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Celebrity-to-add-overnight-port-stays-on-long-Caribbean-cruises

I received the poll too but don't recall it being about the Caribbean. I thought it was just overnights in general.

You're preaching to the choir my friend.

Some of us though apparently need the message repeated.

I received the poll too but don't recall it being about the Caribbean. I thought it was just overnights in general.

there were 2 surveys one came a month or so after the first and requested ranking of a list of particular ports 1-5, and ticking boxes of ports of interest from a list of various caribbean ports.

I received the poll too but don't recall it being about the Caribbean. I thought it was just overnights in

I suspect they have several polls going, aimed at different demographics

Any company that only wants the opinion of traditionalists will be a Holland America competitor and I suspect from the direction Celebrity is moving that is not the demographic the see as their future client.

Ma, did you tell em you liked overnight's?

Yours may have been the swing vote that put the % over the top.:D

You know I'm just funning wifh ya I hope. But yea gotta admit your comment in favor of em:eek:

We are booked on a cruise that lost Bonaire for an overnight in Curaçao. We did receive a survey after our last cruise asking if we would like overnights in the Caribbean and which ports. I said yes, and Curaçao!

I don't know if we would even spend the evening hours in port but what people don't seem to be grasping is that this gives us 2 full days to enjoy the island. If Celebrity offers an evening excursion we might consider trying one but could go either way. I read earlier that Celebrity is looking to plan some evening exc. so we will see later.

With the amount of time till the first overnight, I am sure some of the wonderful local tour operators have their wheels spinning on how to get re done!

Well, one thing I had forgotten about when I did that post is that there are airports in Cozumel and VERY near Chichen Itza (25-30 minutes away). So make it a helicopter trip. They have similar trips in Alaska to go flight seeing to glaciers, etc. It would be pricey, but well worth it.

If that is something that could be arranged, then you're looking at about a total of 90 minutes (taking the scenic route) to get to Chichen Itza, rather than 3+ hours.

Even when there have been suggestions made, they have all been shot down because of:

a) Safety.

b) I already paid for _____ on the ship and I don't want to spend more money.

c) I'm not open to any ideas because I wanted to go to Bonaire and I want to talk about how angry and disappointed I am (most popular answer).

I know that sounds snarky, and if anybody is offended I'm sorry. However, I'd love it if we could keep the Bonaire discussion on the Bonaire thread, and answer the question that was originally asked in the title of this one. What we have right now is a thread in which people essentially say the same thing they're saying in the Bonaire thread. This could be an interesting and valuable discussion to everyone who is on an itinerary with an overnight, but it's hard to wade through all the complaining and arguing to find some actual ideas and suggestions.:(

As I said yesterday, I get people's disappointment and frustration, but I don't think every thread about the new itineraries needs to turn to the elimination of Bonaire.

Then the op should change to title of her post. There's already a post about missing Bonaire.

You are in correct. I posted my thread on June 5th at 8.07 am. The appeal to reinstate Bonaire was posted on June 5th at 12.08 pm.

I do realize that some would like to see the title changed but I will not be doing so.

By the way, I am a guy, when I first got on I used a combination of my wife's and my first names. I wish I hadn't done that now as it would be better to refer to me as a "he" although there might be some that might want to use a more derogatory term : )

Edited by janewe

Do you still have the questions they asked? or if not did they ask specifically about caribbean (vs europe...or just say "overnights" in general?) and did they list of possible islands?

Just curious?

Just imagine if it is follow the leader and there are 6 or 8 ships overnight in St Maarten:(:(

If Celebrity decides to change their itineraries, they should do it on ships that are not posted yet. Then those who book the cruises can choose from ships with overnights or ships without overnights. Changing in mid-stream after many have booked one thing and are getting another is similar to Bait and Switch. Yes, we can cancel and rebook, but usually at a loss of perks, cabin or other benefits.

I haven't seen anything grab my interest for nightlife in Curacao. Staying overnight on a Sunday seems equally boring. Will probably stay on board.

Melissa :(

I received the poll too but don't recall it being about the Caribbean. I thought it was just overnights in

I suspect they have several polls going, aimed at different demographics

Any company that only wants the opinion of traditionalists will be a Holland America competitor and I suspect from the direction Celebrity is moving that is not the demographic the see as their future client.

I hate to tell you this but the older generation will always be the best market because they are usually the ones with more time and money. If you're really fortunate you may just be one of them some day.

Ma, did you tell em you liked overnight's?

Yours may have been the swing vote that put the % over the top.:D

You know I'm just funning wifh ya I hope. But yea gotta admit your comment in favor of em:eek:

I'm in favor of some overnights, just not in the Caribbean.