Like for like price ?

magsfife12

Has anyone ever booked with celebrity and been told the price is on a like for like bases?:mad:

When I booked I asked if its was with best price guarantee and was told it was like for like bases , now the price has come down & celebrity won't reduce the price

All I can think of is perhaps OP found a fare reduction on a cruise, that may be equal to the value of perks he would lose if they change? therefore the new lower fare plus buying the value of perks = same price as current cabin inclusive of perks, thus the 2 are "like for like" or equal/similar?

I even looked the term up. I'm still confused.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Like_for_like

This is what they told me ---the like for like is for example basing the new cost on

the same category type, like for like ships and sailing's.

I don't understand what it means !!!!

Edited by magsfife12

Has anyone ever booked with celebrity and been told the price is on a like for like bases?:mad:

the like for like is for example basing the new cost on

The above is what celebrity told me but I don't understand what it means :confused:

What ship , category of cabin, and promotional did you get when you booked?

Then you saw the same cabin on sale for $200.USD cheaper? Was it after final payment?

Did you book your cruise through the UK site?They have different rules than the US site.

the like for like is for example basing the new cost on

The above is what celebrity told me but I don't understand what it means :confused:

Ok, so I think you are just having a vocabulary issue on our american "slang" if I'm getting this.

Like for Like, means all things must be the same.

So assuming in a cruising context, if you want to change a reservation, or change cabin number, you must make a "like for like" or "same for same" change.

So perhaps you have a Veranda Cabin, a 1A on reservation, but you found a Veranda Cabin, a 1B, for a different price, you may not be able to change your reservation because it isn't a "like for like" change since a 1A is not the same as a 1B, even both are "Veranda's" - it would mean the cabin would have to be a 1A to a 1A.

Does this make sense? Maybe if you can, post more details as to the nature of the conversation you were having when you heard this term.

Another thing perhaps, maybe you have a sailing canceled or changed, and they are offering to honor your current fare on other "like for like' sailings, that is you have to move reservation to same ship, same itinerary, just on a different date? That is they won't honor your current fare if you want to move to another ship?

Edited by cle-guy

This is what I think th OP is in reference to, lots of things to fall into place.

Celebrity Cruises Best Price Guarantee

What is the Celebrity Cruises Best Price Guarantee? Our Celebrity Best Price Guarantee ensures that you will enjoy the lowest advertised rate on your cruise fare and your preferred promotional offer. If a lower cruise fare or different promotional offer advertised to the general public is found and your booking meets certain requirements, you may request to have that savings or promotion applied to your booking (savings options vary by whether the request is submitted before or after the final payment due date).

To apply for your onboard credit, Submit the claim form here.

For a request submitted on or before the due date of final payment, the following applies:

Request for a Lower Cruise Fare Request to Add or Change an Added Value Offer

Celebrity will reduce cruise fare to available prevailing cruise fare. If full payment has been made, a refund will be issued. Celebrity will 1) apply an Added Value Offer to booking and 2) go to prevailing eligible cruise fare

NOTE: If either the new cruise fare or Added Value Offer is not combinable with any promotion associated with the existing booking, or changes are being made outside of promotional booking window, the existing promotion will be removed from the booking. No refund or exchange will be given on a promotion offer (added value)

NOTE: an Added Value Offer refers to an amenity added to your booking, such as an onboard credit, specialty dining, shore excursion, etc.

For a request submitted after the due date of final payment AND the booking is within 48 hours from creation, the following applies:

Request for a Lower Cruise Fare Request to Add or Change an Added Value Offer

Celebrity will apply an onboard credit to the booking in the amount of 110% of the difference in price. Celebrity will 1) apply an Added Value Offer to booking and 2) go to prevailing eligible cruise fare

NOTE: If either the new cruise fare or Added Value Offer is not combinable with any promotion associated with the existing booking, or changes are being made outside of promotional booking window, the existing promotion will be removed from the booking. No refunds will be made within final payment

No refunds will be given within penalty period. Request for changes made within penalty period and after 48 hours from creation, are subject to cancellation penalty if any changes are made.

Celebrity's Best Price Guarantee FAQ

I agree with someone else that this may be American vs UK language. In the USA the retail meaning of "like for like" in this context would be that something can be returned and exchanged only if they're the same. In the UK terms on cancellation and refunds for all cruises are much more restrictive than terms in the US.

Did the original cruise price include extra perks, and the new reduced price is without some or all of the extra perks?

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss

What was the context? Were you trying to amend an existing reservation or make a new booking?

Hi Mike i was asking for a price reduction as the price of our cabins has come down + they are now offering $100 onboard spends :eek:

I agree with someone else that this may be American vs UK language. In the USA the retail meaning of "like for like" in this context would be that something can be returned and exchanged only if they're the same. In the UK terms on cancellation and refunds for all cruises are much more restrictive than terms in the US.

Did the original cruise price include extra perks, and the new reduced price is without some or all of the extra perks?

Hi the orignal price was more expensive with drinks package , the new reduced price includes drinks & $100 onboard spends :eek:

Ok, so I think you are just having a vocabulary issue on our american "slang" if I'm getting this.

Like for Like, means all things must be the same.

So assuming in a cruising context, if you want to change a reservation, or change cabin number, you must make a "like for like" or "same for same" change.

So perhaps you have a Veranda Cabin, a 1A on reservation, but you found a Veranda Cabin, a 1B, for a different price, you may not be able to change your reservation because it isn't a "like for like" change since a 1A is not the same as a 1B, even both are "Veranda's" - it would mean the cabin would have to be a 1A to a 1A.

Does this make sense? Maybe if you can, post more details as to the nature of the conversation you were having when you heard this term.

Another thing perhaps, maybe you have a sailing canceled or changed, and they are offering to honor your current fare on other "like for like' sailings, that is you have to move reservation to same ship, same itinerary, just on a different date? That is they won't honor your current fare if you want to move to another ship?

Hi we book a 2b cabin with drinks package , now the price has come down and they are offering drinks & $100 on board spends . When i book the agent told me it was a like for like bases but they wont reduce the price or give me the $100 as they are saying its for new bookings only . they have the recording of the phone call so they know the agent told me it was on like for like

Margaret x:eek:

Hi we book a 2b cabin with drinks package , now the price has come down and they are offering drinks & $100 on board spends . When i book the agent told me it was a like for like bases but they wont reduce the price or give me the $100 as they are saying its for new bookings only . they have the recording of the phone call so they know the agent told me it was on like for like

Many new special offers have "new booking only" clauses in them, though this may be a case of call in again and get a different answer.

1. Are you post-final Payments (care to share the ship and date...)?
  2. Is there still a 2B cabin open to book today or are they all sold out (if all sold out, then they can't give you "Like for Like")
  3. Did you book direct with X or via a travel agency?
  4. Are you booked in as part of any group that may have special fares?
  5. Can you provide a link to the special offer you are now trying to have them include on the booking that gives Drinks and $100 so I can review the specify T&C's?

Therein lies the rub. "New bookings only" would be my guess as to why they will not honor the price reduction?

I have communicated with OP via email.

What I think is happening (having read their email chain of communication with X), is the UK does not have a full-time best price guarantee, whereas in the USA we do. Also OP reservation includes some Air and Land as part of the full bookings so also possible that even though the cabin cost is down and new perks apply, when they rebook, the airfare associated may have gone up thus the fare for the full reservation has gone up.

The UK had a best price guarantee on offer for a period of time that applied to bookings made within the advertised booking window (booking made Feb 2014 to June 2014), but that offer expired and isn't applied to bookings since that date of expiry. I logged into the UK site, and can't find any Best Price Guarantee there, although there is one on the USA site.

So the "like for Like" here that is causing the issue, is probably not the cabin, but the airfare now is selling at a H fare code instead of a D fare code or something like that - airlines have dozens of fare codes and they open and close all the time.

Waiting for a confirmation email from OP to see if this may be the issue.

I hate bundled vacations, for reasons like this....

I'm not sure that Celebrity's refusal to reduce the price has anything to do with "like for like" or "best price guarantee", but that the OP is hoping to take advantage of a price that is for new bookings only, when this is clearly not a new booking. The Ts & Cs of all the recent promotions seem to state they are for new bookings only. Disappointing for folks who have paid a higher price, but X is free to put whatever conditions they wish on their special offers and promotional fares. We normally book early, knowing that we can take advantage of any price drops, but the constant different promotions which are limited to new bookings, mean that early booking is probably no longer the way to get the best deal.

OP has conformed to me the issue was with the airfare portion of the reservation the cost of the air has gone up more than the cost of the cabin has gone down. X did offer to reprice the itinerary and give them the new perks and cabin fare, but that was offset by the advance in airfare cost, so OP stayed as-is.

Suzy Smith, an advantage USA bookers have, is that even for promotions that say "new bookings only" they can generally be used to leverage the Best Price Guarantee that is part of the US bookings, that IS not part of UK bookings - this is because they in effect cancel and rebook so that all aspects of the new fare and perks are applied accordingly.

Different countries with different laws, business customs, and industry standards, even though its the same company and ship.

Find a US travel agent!

I hate bundled vacations, for reasons like this....

It sounds like a UK fly/cruise, which is considered a "package holiday" under EU legislation and comes with quite a bit of consumer protection, but unfortunately no automatic right to a price reduction!

It sounds like a UK fly/cruise, which is considered a "package holiday" under EU legislation and comes with quite a bit of consumer protection, but unfortunately no automatic right to a price reduction!

Indeed that was what OP had, and why it couldn't work. Consumer protections sometimes duty more than they help!