3 Year Old Royal Tots?

My son is 3 but I'm not sure if he will be fully toilet trained with no pull ups by the time we go on our cruise. He's got a developmental delay and is about a year behind. Does anyone have experience paying for a 3-year old in the Royal Tots program? I would like to have one meal I can eat in peace and would prefer not to have to pay $19 for an in room babysitter.

I'm hoping that he will be toilet trained but I'm starting to think he might not be 100%.

My son is 3 but I'm not sure if he will be fully toilet trained with no pull ups by the time we go on our cruise. He's got a developmental delay and is about a year behind. Does anyone have experience paying for a 3-year old in the Royal Tots program? I would like to have one meal I can eat in peace and would prefer not to have to pay $19 for an in room babysitter.

I'm hoping that he will be toilet trained but I'm starting to think he might not be 100%.

Our daughter who was DD as well was in that same situation. She was 36 months (not quite 37 yet) so technically in their listed range. They gave us a hard time and said she could only be accepted in if there is room after all the other kids check in for the evening. I have to say that I was not happy how things were handled or how we were received, even after mentioning our daughter was special needs (sensory processing disorder, former preemie). I hope you have better luck. Our daughter wasn't fully potty trained until she was 3 and a half. Maybe you will have a better experience. This was on Freedom back in 2012.

Darn. He will be 44 months so quite a bit over the cut off. I still have hope he will be trained by then. Thanks for letting me know.

The cruise line will make an exception to the toilet training policy for children with disabilities. You would need to contact the special needs department.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/otherNeeds.do

The OP is asking about using nursery, not Adventure Ocean. Technically, the nursery is up to 3, so they might let a child in who is not 4 yet if they are not potty- trained but I am not sure. But, we did use in-room baby sitting for our son when he was 3. I would definitely contact special needs, as your child will have more fun in AO or nursery than in-room baby sitting.

The OP is asking about using nursery, not Adventure Ocean. Technically, the nursery is up to 3, so they might let a child in who is not 4 yet if they are not potty- trained but I am not sure. But, we did use in-room baby sitting for our son when he was 3. I would definitely contact special needs, as your child will have more fun in AO or nursery than in-room baby sitting.

I think the OP is asking about the nursery since they do not feel the child will be toilet trained which is a requirement for the Adventure Ocean program. Since the child has developmental delays, they should be allowed into Adventure Ocean with a toilet training exception. They should really contact the special needs department since the nursery says 6 months to 36 months, not just a generic 3 years. I doubt very much they will allow a 44 month old into the nursery.

edit to add link:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/category.do?pagename=onboard_cat_kids_teens_and_families

Edited by reallyitsmema

I think the OP is asking about the nursery since they do not feel the child will be toilet trained which is a requirement for the Adventure Ocean program. Since the child has developmental delays, they should be allowed into Adventure Ocean with a toilet training exception. They should really contact the special needs department since the nursery says 6 months to 36 months, not just a generic 3 years. I doubt very much they will allow a 44 month old into the nursery.

edit to add link:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/category.do?pagename=onboard_cat_kids_teens_and_families

Thanks for the correction. I have seen up to 3 and 3 and younger mentioned for nursery, but never realized that the specifically state 36 months.

Thanks for the correction. I have seen up to 3 and 3 and younger mentioned for nursery, but never realized that the specifically state 36 months.

They attempted to tell us that even though our daughter was 36 months, that she really wasn't included in that age range, even though she was yet to turn 37 months. I think it completely depends on who is working there. I didn't even think to contact the special needs department when we went back then. We were just starting our journey figuring out what was going on with our daughter and it didn't even cross our minds.

They attempted to tell us that even though our daughter was 36 months, that she really wasn't included in that age range, even though she was yet to turn 37 months. I think it completely depends on who is working there. I didn't even think to contact the special needs department when we went back then. We were just starting our journey figuring out what was going on with our daughter and it didn't even cross our minds.

I wonder if part of the issue that you encountered was due to the fact you sailed not long after the nursery was added to Freedom. I have never read on Cruise Critic that a child older than 36 months was allowed in the nursery. Since your child was almost 37 months, they were technically over 36 months so their name was probably on the Adventure Ocean list and not the nursery list. Not excusing how they handled things because it sounds like they handled it very poorly.

I just hope if the OP contacts the special needs department prior to their cruise, some of these hiccups can be avoided.

I wonder if part of the issue that you encountered was due to the fact you sailed not long after the nursery was added to Freedom. I have never read on Cruise Critic that a child older than 36 months was allowed in the nursery. Since your child was almost 37 months, they were technically over 36 months so their name was probably on the Adventure Ocean list and not the nursery list. Not excusing how they handled things because it sounds like they handled it very poorly.

I just hope if the OP contacts the special needs department prior to their cruise, some of these hiccups can be avoided.

I'm sure it being new was part of it. I hope they contact the special needs department too. I know I've learned so much along our journey. Luckily DD does great in AO and has for the last two years of cruising.

I'll call the special needs department to see what they recommend (hopefully it's not the $19 in room babysitting). He hasn't been diagnosed with anything other than he is delayed (we did have one Dr. suggest he might be delayed because his dad stays home with him). Ideally he will be toilet trained but I think he will still require a pull up. Thanks everyone for your input.

We took our DD right after she was 3 and had a few accidents. They called us on a phone and after the second did give us a warning. She was fine after that as we took her potty before dropping off. Now for you're question if pull ups are still being worn it might be worth taking to nursery. Might give you more peice of mind.

Does the special needs department have a specific number or email? I have 2 special needs kids and we are sailing in 2017 but when we get closer should I contact a special department?

[noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse]

I'll call the special needs department to see what they recommend (hopefully it's not the $19 in room babysitting). He hasn't been diagnosed with anything other than he is delayed (we did have one Dr. suggest he might be delayed because his dad stays home with him). Ideally he will be toilet trained but I think he will still require a pull up. Thanks everyone for your input.

I'm sorry what?! I hope you never went back to that doctor....ever.

I'm sorry what?! I hope you never went back to that doctor....ever.

He still goes to the same Dr. she's generally okay but every once in a while she says something that is bizarre.

I e-mailed special needs and they told me to speak with the adventure club manager when we get there. He will definitely not be able to go in the nursery but they may be able to accommodate him in ocean adventure in pull ups. They would give me a pager and contact me if I needed to come get him. We are going in October so hopefully it won't be too busy so they can take him. They also offered preferred boarding if waiting in line would be a problem for him.

Thanks all for your suggestions.