Tortola excursion advice

Planefixer

Having been to tortola numerous time for land trips I highly recommend you take the ship trip to virgin gorda to the baths.....they are a natural wonder that can be enjoyed in and out of the water....while there are amazing views on tortola the baths remain the bigger "wow"......where the taxi drops off there is a restaurant complete with a bit of nice shopping and a pool.....there is a path down to the water consisting of stone stairs.....if that is not safe for your adult/baby numbers just get a couple of cabs to brewers bay which has a beach bar......the cruise tour goes to cane garden bay where too many beach goers can quickly overwhelm the facilities making it seem like the lido deck abroad ship.... the roads on tortola are narrow,twisty and very steep .....I am thinking car sickness should you engage an island tour for several hours....lucky family to be seeing a beautiful part of the caribbean that many have never heard of!

With all respect to zqvol - I love caves and baths, but I found this particular excursion to be grossly over-crowded (at the Virgin Gorda end) and not at all well organized (in terms of the tour itself).

I would not do it again, and I would not recommend it as being worth the cost and time.

Edited by Kingmaker_inc

We have booked the excursions to the Baths via the walking route, instead of boat :) Excited to try a hike. We opted for this one as the others such as the boat to Jost Van Dyke seemed more of a "bar hopping", "party scene". While this is something my husband and I would enjoy, we will have our children with us and wanted them to have some fun too :cool::rolleyes:;) I am very excited to see Tortola!! Oh, also wanted to pass onto you that I read on here it was recommended to wear some type of shoe other than flip flops. We have purchased water shoes for our trip.

Looking to book an excursion on Tortola. Looking for recommendations for those who have been there.

Looking for advice for NCL or privately booked tours.

Thanks

If you don't have children with you then I would go to host van dyke. My husband and I are not partiers but this place is incredible. The beach is amazing and everyone is so friendly that you don't want to leave. My husband does not even drink and wants me to book a vacation on Jost. Even if it gets crowded it doesn't feel like it. It is the only place we will go when we dock in Tortola.

We did the Getaway's excursion to Virgin Gorda baths and it was amazing, but extremely physically challenging. You have to be able to swim a couple hundred yards in very deep water (with life vest and fins provided), and walk along paths that are narrow, rocky and slippery. You have to be able to squeeze through rocks and crouch below them. One you get there, it's stunning.

There is a land option which the ship offers.....no swimming necessary to reach the beach....not all of the babies and adults may want to head into the baths passages but just being on the beach among the rock formations is well worth the experience....there is some decent snorkeling along the rocks or some swimming and bobbing with the little ones....head back up the trail in time for a dip in the pool and a Pina colada at the top of the baths restaurant .....I have this day planned for feb 16 and can't wait!

I am very excited to see Tortola!! Oh, also wanted to pass onto you that I read on here it was recommended to wear some type of shoe other than flip flops. We have purchased water shoes for our trip.

Water shoes is a great idea.

And, if you are going to the baths - you will be seeing Virgin Gorda, not Tortola. There are separate islands altogether.

I should say that DH and I took the walking excursion, not the swimming/snorkeling one. Going through the caves (actually just rocks tumbled on the beach, not real caves) was so incredible! The beautiful water filtering in in spots.

The beach on the other side of the caves was lovely, and not crowded at all when we were there some years ago.

Water shoes is a great idea.

And, if you are going to the baths - you will be seeing Virgin Gorda, not Tortola. There are separate islands altogether.

Yes, I know Kingmaker :) We booked the earliest excursion so we could get back to the ship and explore Tortola with my parents and our youngest. Best of both worlds I suppose ;)

I've been to the baths a couple of times now, so may be jaded, but I would pick White Bay at Jost Van Dyke hands down. I've been there 3 times and can't get enough of it. Gertrude's has fantastic Roti and Soggy Dollar and One Love are amazing little beach bars.

You need to swim in from the boat, not necessarily far, but you'll be wet, hense the name "Soggy Dollar".

I've been to the baths a couple of times now, so may be jaded, but I would pick White Bay at Jost Van Dyke hands down. I've been there 3 times and can't get enough of it. Gertrude's has fantastic Roti and Soggy Dollar and One Love are amazing little beach bars.

You need to swim in from the boat, not necessarily far, but you'll be wet, hense the name "Soggy Dollar".

What is the quickest way to get from the pier in Tortola to the Soggy Dollar Bar?

What is the quickest way to get from the pier in Tortola to the Soggy Dollar Bar?

You need to book an excursion either with NCL, or on your own as it's a fair distance by boat to get there.

This would be one of those cases where I would book through NCL. The ferry service in Roadtown is on island time, and you wouldn't want to rely on it. We sail the BVI every year, and we've never had a ferry leave on time and they cancel them on a whim.

I'll be in Tortola again in February and will definitely book the excursion.

It's well worth it!

Edited by SuiteCruiser