Different 'Classes' of ships??

Forgive my ignorance as I'm yet to take my first cruise, but can someone kindly explain the different 'classes' of ships with Royal Caribbean, ie Freedom/Oasis/Quantum? I'm assuming the categories have important distinctions, but I can't figure out what they are.

Many thanks.

Here is a good place to start:

http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/our-ships/

Oh, I see. So basically, ships within the same class are similar to each other, and in all probabilty if you like one, you'll like the other ships within the same class. Thank you Bob.

That's mostly true. Royal's Vision class is less of a class than the other classes. Those ships more different from each other than other ships in other classes.

Yes...all ships within a "class" are "sister ships"...minor differences in decor or some venues....even Voyager/Freedom class are similar....Freedom class is basically a "stretched" version of Voyager class. (BTW, they are my favorites!!!)

Oh, I see. So basically, ships within the same class are similar to each other, and in all probabilty if you like one, you'll like the other ships within the same class. Thank you Bob.

Yes. A "class" of ships are all built with the same basic engineering design. There can be difference in details, but they will be similar (and in some cases, almost identical to) each other.