Email regarding boarding

auntylinda

I received an email from carnival with the following,

"Also, and most importantly, on Wednesday, following the completion of the debarkation process for the previous voyage, we will be conducting routine tests aboard the Carnival Splendor. Consequently, boarding for your cruise is expected to run a bit behind schedule.

As a result, check-in for your cruise is now scheduled from 1:30 PM - 3:00 PM. For your comfort and convenience, since seating and parking are limited at our cruise terminal, please do not arrive for check-in prior to 1:30 PM."

The cruise before us docks at 8am the same day. Is this a standard email? What time would you suggest we arrive? We have fttf, but want to start our vacay ASAP!

If you are one of the earlier ones at the terminal, hopefully you'll have a place to sit.

We stay at a hotel the night before our cruise and have to check out by 11 or we're always at the terminal early.

No complaints, though, if boarding is delayed.

I've had that email twice. Neither time was there a delay boarding. Not saying they never delay due to testing but I've yet to see a single thread here on CC stating anyone was delayed embarkation.

Many customers make their cruise plans months or weeks in advance. Knowing that most travel providers such as airlines and hotels do not allow flexibility in already booked travel without significant financial penalty, most cruisers have no choice but to continue on with their pre-arranged bookings.

It is ironic indeed that Carnival uses financial incentives with its customers to entice them to book as far in advance as possible, but then wants those same customers to adhere to last minute changes. You might draw the conclusion that Carnival is simply covering their behinds in case something goes wrong.

The best most of us can do is carry on with our already made plans and hope for the best.

I had this same email on the conquest. boarding WAS delayed and we didn't sail until 9pm. they still had all the activities going on, no ports missed. wasn't a big deal. Go when you want, just no complaining if they do start boarding late. I have also had inspection emails, that delayed my boarding on 2 other cruises.

I've had that email twice. Neither time was there a delay boarding. Not saying they never delay due to testing but I've yet to see a single thread here on CC stating anyone was delayed embarkation.

You have just missed them. They have been here.

Then you've never seen the many posts I've put up regarding the same exact type of letter we received (and ignored - never again) last year when sailing on the Freedom.

Trust me it does happen. Show up early if you want. Just don't get pissed if you have to wait. Yes even if you did purchase fttf. You were advised.

I am like others that will be staying in a nearby hotel the night before and have to check out by 11:00. I wouldn't complain if boarding were delayed, but would they still allow you in the terminal if you have to get there earlier than they've asked. I'm Platinum, but I've never received this email, so didn't know if I get there at 11:00 will they at least let me into the terminal?

See, Carnival is like the boy who cries wolf. No one know when to actually believe these. So many times people get these and don't know what to actually do. Go at their normal time or go later than usual. Some say they've gotten them and not been delayed and so many times they send them out just to spread out boarding times.

I really wish Carnival would only send these out when there is something actually going on so people didn't have to guess as to what to do.

If Carnival as a company wants to do staggered boarding, I wish they would just do it. Isn't it Disney that actually assigns you a time to show up? Not sure I know one of the companies does. But if they're going to do it, they need to fully commit to doing it. I mean, I think as it is right now, people seem to stagger themselves. There's the Plats/Diamonds, the FTTF and the early birds that get there early. The people that get there around 11, and then the people who get the email and follow it and don't show up until 1ish. Then there's the people who don't want any lines at all and show up around 2pm.

I am like others that will be staying in a nearby hotel the night before and have to check out by 11:00. I wouldn't complain if boarding were delayed, but would they still allow you in the terminal if you have to get there earlier than they've asked. I'm Platinum, but I've never received this email, so didn't know if I get there at 11:00 will they at least let me into the terminal?

As I posted above, the terminal is opened mid morning. Once the terminal is full, no one, not FTTF, not Diamond, not Platinum, not Mother of the Bride is permitted to enter until the board process starts.

our last cruise we got same email. due to flights and hotel we had to be dropped off at 11am no big deal as we had no other choice. NO ONE was aloud inside until 130. we did not set sail til 6pm instead of 4. I just sat in the grass and watched the people complain and yell and cause a scene because they could not get in until 130, which the port people had up signs and were telling guests about the email. when they started letting people board they did so as you were in line, not by your cruise status or fttf. So in this case the letter was correct

This thread has me totally confused. Some people are saying this "routine testing" email is just like the other standard email they send out trying to get people to show up late, while other seem to think when it says testing then it is actually legit. I hope I don't get one because I'll have no idea what to do.

I take that back. I'll end up going to the port anyway. I might as well sit there on the curb with my luggage at my feet instead of sitting on the curb in front of my hotel with my luggage at my feet. I have to be out of the hotel by 11:00 so I'm going to have to wait somewhere. With a good sized suitcase, wandering around Ft. Lauderdale isn't really viable.

What else are we supposed to do?

We were sent an email that suggested boarding between 1pm and 3pm for the Carnival Dream out of New Orleans in May. There was no mention of maintenance, testing, delays, etc. in ours. I'm guessing we got the "standard" email.

The full sentence read: Also, and most importantly, if you have flexible travel plans, to ensure a smooth embarkation experience, we suggest you arrive at the cruise terminal for check-in between 1:00 PM and 3:00 PM.

Edited by day-day

I received both emails and phone calls. Nothing was said about testing. So I would take it at face value.

I tend to agree. But, on the other hand, what else are you going to do even if it is true?

Perhaps you could see if the hotel would store your luggage so you could walk around. But failing that, you have no choice but to go to the port anyway.

This thread has me totally confused. Some people are saying this "routine testing" email is just like the other standard email they send out trying to get people to show up late, while other seem to think when it says testing then it is actually legit. I hope I don't get one because I'll have no idea what to do.

I take that back. I'll end up going to the port anyway. I might as well sit there on the curb with my luggage at my feet instead of sitting on the curb in front of my hotel with my luggage at my feet. I have to be out of the hotel by 11:00 so I'm going to have to wait somewhere. With a good sized suitcase, wandering around Ft. Lauderdale isn't really viable.

What else are we supposed to do?

Most reputable hotels will have a lounge area (if only a few couches and chairs) which they won't mind you sitting at for a few hours (beats the hot sun shining on a terminal sidewalk). And good hotels will have luggage storage after checkout since many people who travel book evening flights and still intend to vacation their last day unencumbered by luggage. If the situation does arise just check with your hotel and see what they offer.

From what I'm observing the trend for later and assigned cruise ship boarding is gathering momentum...I won't be surprised if it doesn't become the norm within a couple of years.

I tend to agree. But, on the other hand, what else are you going to do even if it is true?

Perhaps you could see if the hotel would store your luggage so you could walk around. But failing that, you have no choice but to go to the port anyway.

I would probably figure something out. It would depend on the port and how I got there.

I've gotten this email and have been delayed until 1:30pm. We still arrived at 11:00am, but weren't upset as we knew it was a possibility.

Most of the time, however, the standard "please don't arrive until 1:00pm" email is probably just to space out boarding passengers.

Edited by michigancruiser0715