Flip Flop on Liqour Policy

dljones

Sorry if I am behind by 10 years on this but I just read on John's FB page:

"I have spoken with the beards and if you take Luggage Express and have bought liquor from the on board shops or from ashore it will be delivered the last evening of the cruise. This gives you a chance to pack it in your luggage before you place it outside of the cabin door and see it next at your final destination.

For everyone else as I mentioned yesterday we will have the liquor collection early in the morning of debarkation. I read some comments of concern about this so please keep me informed as to how it goes so I can let the beards know."

So, as I figured, that didn't take to long....:eek:

Sorry, but I don't see a "flip" or a "flop" on the liquor policy! I really don't understand the second comments, supposedly taken from JH's FB page since collecting liquor "early morning" on debarkation day does not make any sense at all! Why would liquor be collected on the day you are leaving the ship?? :confused:

Sorry, but I don't see a "flip" or a "flop" on the liquor policy! I really don't understand the second comments, supposedly taken from JH's FB page since collecting liquor "early morning" on debarkation day does not make any sense at all! Why would liquor be collected on the day you are leaving the ship?? :confused:

I guess they are afraid everyone will drink up their liqour that last night if they bring it to the room then.... LOL!

That is going to be highly inconvenient to go wait in a line the last morning, when you're already stressed, to pick up your liqour.....but, we'll do it if we want it! :rolleyes:

Sorry if I am behind by 10 years on this but I just read on John's FB page:

"I have spoken with the beards and if you take Luggage Express and have bought liquor from the on board shops or from ashore it will be delivered the last evening of the cruise. This gives you a chance to pack it in your luggage before you place it outside of the cabin door and see it next at your final destination.

For everyone else as I mentioned yesterday we will have the liquor collection early in the morning of debarkation. I read some comments of concern about this so please keep me informed as to how it goes so I can let the beards know."

So, as I figured, that didn't take to long....:eek:

This change to picking up on last night is only if you book Luggage Express which is $20 per bag (I think) + on top of luggage fee that you may have to pay for your airline. If you don't pay for their Luggage Express, you can't get your booze till the next day and then will have to try to get it in your luggage (wrapped securely) either when picking it up in the terminal or at the airport before checking it. A PITA!

Perhaps I am not answering your question, but did you read what was posted yesterday on CC or on John Heald's page about bottles of water and alcohol?

If so, then there shouldn't be any misunderstanding, but if you didn't see it, any alcohol purchased in ports or onboard the ship in the fun shop, that is meant to be taken off the ship, will no longer be delivered to your cabin the night before debarkation. You will need to pick it up before you debark.

This has caused a lot of questions/comments. So, now the flip-flop is that those using Luggage Express will have their liquor delivered the night before debarkation. All others still have to go to pick it up before debarking.

I guess they are afraid everyone will drink up their liqour that last night if they bring it to the room then.... LOL!

That is going to be highly inconvenient to go wait in a line the last morning, when you're already stressed, to pick up your liqour.....but, we'll do it if we want it! :rolleyes:

I don't think Carnival is doing this because they think people will drink up any or all of their liquor, I am sure they are doing this because it must be a large pain in the butt to have the crew run all over the ship sorting out and delivering it to all the people. The shop where the liquor is purchased bags and or boxes up the purchase and then it is put in a store room and separated by deck number until the last night of the cruise, also remember that the shops including the liquor is a concession and the ones that used to deliver the liquor are Carnival employee's. I always bought my liquor the last night of the cruise around 6 or 7 at night and was allowed to take it with me to my cabin to pack that night.

I always bought my liquor the last night of the cruise around 6 or 7 at night and was allowed to take it with me to my cabin to pack that night.

It would seem that you will not be doing that any longer. We will see if this policy continues after people stop buying liquor in the gift shop because they don't want the hassle of getting up at 0 dark 30 to fight the crowds on the morning of debark.

I, personally, will not buy onboard liquor any more. If I find something really special in a port that is worth all the extra hassle, then so be it. But certainly not for the common booze they sell on board.

Bob

I don't think Carnival is doing this because they think people will drink up any or all of their liquor, I am sure they are doing this because it must be a large pain in the butt to have the crew run all over the ship sorting out and delivering it to all the people. The shop where the liquor is purchased bags and or boxes up the purchase and then it is put in a store room and separated by deck number until the last night of the cruise, also remember that the shops including the liquor is a concession and the ones that used to deliver the liquor are Carnival employee's. I always bought my liquor the last night of the cruise around 6 or 7 at night and was allowed to take it with me to my cabin to pack that night.

So they were not babysitting just a Carnival product, they were babysitting and delivering the port bought booze.

what's changed other than the express luggage people get theirs at night ??

Bill

Nothing has changed as far as I can tell. Thinking they will wait to see if booze sales go down before reconsidering this idiotic new policy.

They have always managed to deliver alcohol the last night with pretty good results so IMHO if it aint broke dont fix it.

I know those that use Carnival as a liquor store seem to have their shorts in a knot over this but I wonder how much of an impact this really is in the big scheme of things.

I have never bought liquor on a cruise. I know lots of people that cruise and none of them have bought liquor to bring home.

No one on this forum knows what percentage of people make the purchase or if any potential hit to the revenue is significant enough to make a difference. Carnival is a business and they have done the math. They know the potential impact to the bottom line and how long any negative impact will last, if there even is one. Writing on a forum that "you will not buy liquor in the gift shop ever again, that will show them" may make the person writing the statement feel better but that is about all it will do.

It is a personal choice, if it is important to have the the liquor you make it work, if not don't buy it and move on.

If a change related to alcohol really has a significant negative impact on the quality of the cruising experience or quality of life perhaps it is time to move to a type of vacation that does not cause so much stress.

I know those that use Carnival as a liquor store seem to have their shorts in a knot over this but I wonder how much of an impact this really is in the big scheme of things....

If a change related to alcohol really has a significant negative impact on the quality of the cruising experience or quality of life perhaps it is time to move to a type of vacation that does not cause so much stress.

Bravo...a "common sense" post...something that is often in short supply.

Also, it makes perfect sense for Carnival to provide their alcohol to people who are "purchasing" luggage express. And this is a perfect example of how people can forego the hassle of re-packing. Carnival offers a service that completely takes away the stress and headaches of debarking...something that I would totally take advantage of if offered. Considering how these boards are overwhelmingly in favor of FTTF (a fee based perk) you would think that something that offers folks a big relief at the end of their cruise would be equally embraced...and with the new liquor policy it becomes even more appealing. The Beards at Carnival aren't stupid.

We always received our liquor the last nite before debark.

Us too. Which is what makes sense.

And sorry OP, Carnival has not flip flopped on this stupid new policy change. Only for folks who are paying extra money to have their bags taken directly to the airport using luggage express service. Probably a small percentage.

Sorry OP, but, no, I had not read anything about the new policy with distribution of purchased liquor. The term "collection" sounded as if Carnival was collecting the alcohol on the morning of debarkation!

We normally do bring back some liquor, either purchased on board or in specific ports. Having had to pack several bottles at the Orlando airport after a shopkeeper had convinced me that they packed their liquor so the airlines would allow you to carry it on, I can tell you opening your baggage while in a line (think customs leaving the ship!) is NOT fun! It seems most folks are pretty crabby just after a vacation! :rolleyes:

If there is a change to the liquor distribution policy, it seems it would make sense to have the main show lounge turned to a pick-up point the last night of the cruise, say from 9:00 pm - 1:00 am for folks to run in, grab their booze and then take it back to their cabin and pack it away. The later hours could be for those who are doing self debarkation and don't need to worry about getting it packed before the 11:00 pm curfew for bags to be picked up. Simple, huh? Or, maybe I'm just too simple! :)

Before the airlines changed carry on liquid policies, the hallways on the last night were awashed in booze stacks. It was amazing.

Then there was a change for folks to pick up their booze in a central location. Whether that was just on the cruises I was on or fleet-wide, I don't know.

So, this isn't new.

Though, by keeping it central, there is better loss control.

The flip flop was that the new policy was that regardless of where you purchased liquor, it would be given to you on the morning of departure. The new, new policy is it will be delivered to you the night before like it has always been. At least, that is what I understood it to mean. Sometimes, I'm not the brightest light in the chandelier so I maybe completely mental on this. :eek:

So, I think it is back to business as usual...

The flip flop was that the new policy was that regardless of where you purchased liquor, it would be given to you on the morning of departure. The new, new policy is it will be delivered to you the night before like it has always been. At least, that is what I understood it to mean. Sometimes, I'm not the brightest light in the chandelier so I maybe completely mental on this. :eek:

So, I think it is back to business as usual...

You only get it back the night before if you are using luggage express since you put your luggage out the night before and don't see it until you land at your final destination.

Everybody else still gets it the morning you are leaving the ship.

Bill

I know those that use Carnival as a liquor store seem to have their shorts in a knot over this but I wonder how much of an impact this really is in the big scheme of things..

Not much, necessarily. A lot potentially.

I realize that I haven't read all the threads on the policy change, but I really haven't seen any knotted shorts in this thread. Expressing displeasure with a new policy is hardly getting shorts in a knot.

I have never bought liquor on a cruise. I know lots of people that cruise and none of them have bought liquor to bring home..

And of the 10 million Carnival cruisers, I'm pretty sure many of them do. OK, not in your circle of friends, but I seem to see an awful lot of boxes being carried off the ship on debarkation day. Pretty sure they would stop taking up all that space on the ship if no one was buying, no?

No one on this forum knows what percentage of people make the purchase or if any potential hit to the revenue is significant enough to make a difference. Carnival is a business and they have done the math. They know the potential impact to the bottom line and how long any negative impact will last, if there even is one. Writing on a forum that "you will not buy liquor in the gift shop ever again, that will show them" may make the person writing the statement feel better but that is about all it will do.

Well, I hate to be cliché, but the civil rights movement that changed a country "started" with just one person. You know, one person can move a mountain... one stone at a time, yadda yadda yadda.

I haven't seen anyone say that their purchase will change the world or that Carnival will fall to their knees because of their 4 bottles of Cruzan rum that they buy. But people should be free to make the changes THEY want, just as Carnival does.

It is a personal choice, if it is important to have the the liquor you make it work, if not don't buy it and move on. .

Absolutely. Never said differently. In fact, I said pretty much the same thing. BUT, if enough people feel this way - refusing to buy liquor due to the hassle, and it starts to affect their bottom line, then changes will likely be made. That's been Carnival's MO for years.

Again, I haven't read all the threads, but I have yet to see anyone who said this. Have you?

Bob