Advantages to booking your next cruise while onboard ship.

Just to clarify, you can move it to another booking and keep the reduced deposit?

My only reason for booking onboard is the reduced deposit. We're a family of 5 and I hate laying out $1250 more than a year in advance. I'd like to book something for the summer of 2017. So I'm thinking of booking Spring of 2017 while onboard and then changing it to summer when those dates are released.

I believe that you can move the booking and keep the reduced deposit. What I'm not sure about is what happens if you move it to a different length cruise or a different stateroom type. Does the OBC stay as it was originally, or do you have to pay more deposit?

Edited by clarea

I believe that you can move the booking and keep the reduced deposit. What I'm not sure about is what happens if you move it to a different length cruise or a different stateroom type. Does the OBC stay as it was originally, or do you have to pay more deposit?

I just moved one of mine that was a 7 night in a balcony to a 13 night balcony cruise. I had paid $100 onboard and did not have to pay anything else.

My onboard credit for the future cruise increased to $200 so I thought my deposit would be increased to $200 but it was not

Edited by molly361

I just moved one of mine that was a 7 night in a balcony to a 13 night balcony cruise. I had paid $100 onboard and did not have to pay anything else.

I thought I would have to pay an additional $100 so I was pleasantly surprised.

Did your OBC increase to the amount for the 13 night cruise?

Yes I edited my post while you were typing. It went up to $200 OBC so I thought my deposit would go up as well.

Interesting. So now we can book any short cruise in an inside, pay $50 total deposit, and then change to any other cruise and get the appropriate OBC. Seems like that's better than the NC used to be.:)

Interesting. So now we can book any short cruise in an inside, pay $50 total deposit, and then change to any other cruise and get the appropriate OBC. Seems like that's better than the NC used to be.:)

Or the agent that I spoke with made a mistake;)

i'm glad to hear you can book and pay in canadian. my t.a. said she didn't think you could, that if you booked on board it would be in u.s.

how would the obc work if you pay in canadian? do they convert your deposit into u.s. using a percentage? is it the going rate of the day or something set?

If you book on board in Canadian you pay the deposit in CDN and your cruise will be priced in CDN. Everything that you purchase through the cruise planner will be in CDN.

You will receive the OBC in US at the full amount and all purchases made on the ship will be in US$.

Make sure that you are clear with the person booking your next cruise that you want it in CDN. They have made mistakes on mine in the past.

Can you get a lower price if a better deal comes along and still keep your OBC and deposit?

Absolutely, there was just a price drop for us two weeks ago and we saved $370.

Sweet! We are taking our first RC cruise in August. If we like it enough to justify the cost, I may take advantage of this.

Not sure who you've cruised with before but we're very happy with Royal. We don't have much to compare though. We have done two last minute cheapies with Carnival and there's no comparison, in our opinion.

Adventure, to Curacao.

Think I'd agree! We spent two weeks on Adventure in the southern Caribbean in 2013, then 16 night med this past Sept. I love the size and the Royal Promenade, we've never been on anything larger than Adventure. We're booked for the Harmony TA in Oct 2016, looking forward to an Oasis class.

Edited by krev

I know AOS has more amenities but if there going to the same ports would you pick AOS or Jewel which has more intimacy ?

Jewel is the smaller ship with fewer passengers. I'd still pick Adventure.

By the way, AOS is Anthem, Allure, or Adventure.

Edited by clarea

Jewel is the smaller ship with fewer passengers. I'd still pick Adventure.

By the way, AOS is Anthem, Allure, or Adventure.

Agree 100%, we've been on Serenade which is a sister to Jewel and although a nice ship, Adventure is much easier to get around.

If the trip you're on has a travel agent, it will automatically be put in their name unless you specifically tell them otherwise. If not, you can have your TA transfer it for you afterwards.

Edited by RadioRob

can you name a travel agent while on board or do you have to do a transfer when you get home?

You can do either. If you want to use a TA on board, be sure and have the agency name, agent name, and main agency phone number.