extra tips/which currency in Europe

realtrip

If I wish to tip extra ( say 1 or 2 bucks for a drink) more for room steward, which currency do I use in Europe?

I imagine, not Canadian, so US$ or euro$. Euros are coins , is that awkward?

It's not going to matter much as they'll have to convert it to send t home anyway.

However if they want to use it in port Euro are better.

I've never understood the awkwardness some feel when using a coin it is the value that counts surely.

If I wish to tip extra ( say 1 or 2 bucks for a drink) more for room steward, which currency do I use in Europe?

We did a Baltics cruise a few years ago - started in England (British pounds), stopped in Germany (Euros), Denmark (krone), St. Petersburg (rubles), Sweden (Krona), etc.. Had lots of small amounts of different currencies by the end of the cruise - the crew was happy to receive a tip in any currency and it was a great way for us to recognize staff members with "money" that was not much value to us by that point. If they couldn't use it directly, they could certainly exchange it with someone else who could.

~Bob

The correct currency to use on the ship is always the USD. Ashore the correct currency is the currency of the nation you are visiting, which is often the Euro, but might be Turkish Lira, or Kunas.

Edited by zqvol

Realtrip, we always take about $100 US in small bills just for the purpose of tips on board, no matter where the cruise is. Has always been appreciated! We have used euro too on occasion if we had them, coins are no problem at all. Just about anything is appreciated.

Edited by QuattroRomeo