Behind the Fun tour

CCbaby817

We will be on the Dream in August and are thinking about doing the Behind the Fun tour. I've searched on here, and on Carnival's site, and I can't seem to find any recent info on it. Is there anyone that has recently sailed that can help me out on this? We'd like to know how much it costs and what areas are generally seen. Also, is there a minimum age to participate? The youngest in our group is 9.

We did it last year on the Freedom and I would like to do it on every different ship that we sail. Absolutely worth every single penny! Our tour took about four hours but, as someone else has said, once of the best excursions/tours out there!!!

There is an age limit but I would think that a nine year old would be old enough. There was a little boy with our group and I would say that he was probably about that age.

One thing to remember is that you can't bring any type of recording device. This includes cameras, go-pros, phones, etc. They wand everyone before going on the tour.

Since I wanted to remember the experience and we couldn't take any recording devices, I was taking notes like a mad woman. I took eight pages, front and back, of notes! :eek:

Some of the places that we toured was crew leisure area, muster stations for crew, behind the main stage (mens' dressing room), main stage, Deck 0 crew area, morgue, brig (we didn't actually go into either of these two rooms but stood outside), crew laundry & gym, "I-95" that runs from one end of the ship to the other, medical center, main laundry room, crew training center, crew mess hall, captain's table, crew lounge, the area where they handle trash, engine control room, main galley, captain's quarters just out side the bridge (again, we didn't enter), bridge (had our pics taken with the captain), ending up at the steakhouse for drinks and gifts.

These are the places that we toured but I've heard other people state that they toured places that we didn't and they missed places that we toured, so I will say that it probably depends upon the ship.

Again, we thought that it was well worth the money and I'm already planning to do it on the Dream and the Magic, the two cruises that I currently have booked. One thing to remember is that this excursion fills up FAST, so I would recommend going directly to the shore excursion desk as soon as you board to book it!

Hope this helps!

I didn't even know this existed!!! I'm glad somebody asked. This sounds awesome. Hope I can talk my son into doing it with me!!

Is it hard to get a spot or do you just book it whenever once you're on board?

The space is limited (I think it was only 12 people on ours). We booked as soon as we boarded the ship.

I didn't even know this existed!!! I'm glad somebody asked. This sounds awesome. Hope I can talk my son into doing it with me!!

Is it hard to get a spot or do you just book it whenever once you're on board?

You do book it once you are on board but as someone else stated, space is limited. I think we had 15 in our group. If they have enough for two groups, they will add a second, but I wouldn't bank on that. I've heard of several people who had their name on the list for the second group but never got to actually take the tour bc there wasn't enough people.

Hope you can do it. It's a lot of fun!

\Took the tour on the Magic last year. I thought it was great and very interesting. If my memory serves me correctly, I think the cost is $95 on Dream class ships, and it varies by class. The most interesting parts of tour for me were the main galley, the food/drink storage areas/coolers along I-95, and of the course the engine control room and bridge. We are planning a cruise with my parents on the Dream next year and I definitely plan on treating my dad to the tour.

We did the Behind the Fun tour on Legend 5 years ago. The price was 95.00 and well worth every penny. Hugely a better deal than the 60.00 we spent for the shore excursion on that cruise in Roatan. A few months ago I saw 95.00 as the price still, somewhere.

You see pretty much everything other than the engine room. That stopped after 9/11. Fascinating 3 and a half hours.

You meet in a designated area, like the library or some place like that 15 minutes before the tour begins. They have beverages and snacks for you. We had 16 people on our tour. On our cruise it was at 9AM on the last sea day. Book as soon as you board the ship. Not sure if that can be done in advance. Check with Carnival.

My favorites were getting to see the galley and toward the end of the tour we got to go to the bridge. You get to meet the captain and some other officers. They take photos of the captain with each person/couple/family etc and also a group photo. You get to take these 2 full size awesome photos with you included in the price, and also a Behind the Fun wristband, nap sack and baseball cap. Also a little pamphlet with the recipe of their melting chocolate cake.

Awesome tour. As you go the tour guide gives you all the facts and figures of the ship etc. Amazing the food and beverages they stock for a cruise.

So I highly endorse the tour. Go go go. It was amazing.

We just did it on May 26th onboard the Liberty. Great tour! Well worth the $95. We will most definitely be doing it again on the Vista! My review will have a detailed breakdown of the tour (sorry, no photos since they don't allow cameras on the tour).

There is an age limit but I would think that a nine year old would be old enough. There was a little boy with our group and I would say that he was probably about that age.

I think you mean age minimum. If there were an age limit, that would mean someone might be too old to do it.

We just did it on May 26th onboard the Liberty. Great tour! Well worth the $95. We will most definitely be doing it again on the Vista! My review will have a detailed breakdown of the tour (sorry, no photos since they don't allow cameras on the tour).

This is one thing I really want to do in the vista!

The minimum age is 8. Make sure you have closed toed shoes. I'm not sure why they were needed, unless they were worried about the metal steps that we were using(and there were a lot of them)catching someones unprotected toes.I've done it twice and will take my son on the tour on Vista.

We did the tour on the Inspiration. It cost $55.00 per person. The rules were:

1) For security reasons, no cameras, recording devices of any kind or cell phones are permitted on the tour. (yes, they used the wand on us to confirm we didn't have any of these things).

2) Guests must wear comfortable closed toe shoes or sneakers, no sandals or flip-flops.

3) No bathing attire or skirts are permitted. (those ladders are steep).

4) Minimum age for the tour is 8 years and guests under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.

5) The engine room is not included in the tour; however the engine control room will be a highlight during the tour.

Do you know how much this is?

Behind the Fun is offered fleetwide. On 3/4/5 day cruises, a shortened version of the described tour below will be approximately 2 hours and cost $55 per person.

On cruises 6 days or longer, the informative 3-1/2 hour tour offers participants a behind-the-scenes look at a wide range of shipboard venues that are normally off limits to guests. During the tour, key shipboard personnel, including the captain, chief engineer, chef de cuisine and other department heads, share their vast knowledge in their particular area of expertise. $95

Edited by Bases5

Def going to do this tour when we go on the Pride in Oct to Bermuda. My only concern is I have two bad knees. Sometimes I need a cane. Could that be a problem?

There is a lot of walking and lots of metal steps. In some places probably could use elevator but some places not an option.

We are in good shape and were rather tired 4 hours later.

Def going to do this tour when we go on the Pride in Oct to Bermuda. My only concern is I have two bad knees. Sometimes I need a cane. Could that be a problem?

They tell you if you can't walk, stand & climb steps for 4 hours don't take this tour. The larger ships take a quick break & let you sit a min or go potty. That is it for a break.

Son in law just about didn't make it. He has the bad legs & knees & he was down for the count the rest of the day after doing this. That being said he said " I would do this again in a hot min."

Char