Soda cups?...a novice query

I have only been on one cruise on celebrity century last year. I am fully confused with RCCL soda cups, machines etc. Do you have to buy a soda inclusive package then hunt down a machine or bar, cup in hand?. Sailing Ovation next year...hope you can help me get my head round this. 😊

You only need the soda cup to operate the freestyle machines. They have a computer chip in them to activate the machines. The cup will come with a drinks package.

If you go to a bar you don't need your soda. Just ask the bartender and your drink will be in a glass. If you want your soda in the soda cup you can still have that at the bar by handing over your soda cup to the bartender.

I have only been on one cruise on celebrity century last year. I am fully confused with RCCL soda cups, machines etc. Do you have to buy a soda inclusive package then hunt down a machine or bar, cup in hand?. Sailing Ovation next year...hope you can help me get my head round this. 😊

You have several options:

Buy cans of soda individually for around $2.50 each. These are available at bars, restaurants, room service, and your stateroom mini fridge.

Buy a beverage package, and using only your SeaPass card, have your choice of about 6 different soda flavors from bars and restaurants.

Buy a beveage package, and using your special cup, have your choice of over 100 flavors from a Coke Freestyle machine (assuming the ship you are on has a Freestyle machine), or about 6 different flavors from bars and restaurants.

• 2 weeks later...

They just installed freestyle machines at our local convenience store. The whole neighborhood is in awe. It's pretty funny watching someone who's never encountered them before try to wrap their head around all of the options.

They just installed freestyle machines at our local convenience store. The whole neighborhood is in awe. It's pretty funny watching someone who's never encountered them before try to wrap their head around all of the options.

I see you are a Philly girl. Must be your local WAWA. My daughter was so excited when they installed one in ours- she asks for one every time we go. I tell her she's not on the cruise:D

If you go to a bar you don't need your soda. Just ask the bartender and your drink will be in a glass. If you want your soda in the soda cup you can still have that at the bar by handing over your soda cup to the bartender.

My advice is keep the cup out of sight until the bartender asks for your order. I've been passed up my many bartenders when they see the cup.

I've been on 8 cruises and always get the soda package. About half of those had the machines and they are great. I have never had a problem going to any of the bars with my cup and getting ignored.

Thank you for your help....are there a lot of machines? Where do you find them around the ship?

There are usually around 4-6 machines. Probably a couple in Windjammer (buffet) and the others at various public areas.

I've been on 8 cruises and always get the soda package. About half of those had the machines and they are great. I have never had a problem going to any of the bars with my cup and getting ignored.

The pool bars are the worst for that. At times when I did want to buy a drink and get a refill I've had to speak up and say I was next multiple times. I started keeping the drink cup out of sight.