SS Maria Theresa Budapest to Amsterdam - A Users Guide

No Spin

On the Maria Theresa, you swipe your key card when you leave the ship and when you return on board. If someone is shown as off the ship at sailing time, they will use your photo to search the ship looking for you. I know this because at one port I swiped my card upon my return to the ship but it didn't register and at sailing time, they found me in the lounge to make sure I was on board.

An interesting occurrence at dinner last night. We were seated with two other couples. Two people had an entree that was supposed to have an Asian flavor. A third person had some dish I do not recall. At the table all three expressed some disappointment with their meal. At a later point the chef came to our table and asked how was our meal. All three of the people who were not satisfied told him everything was fine.

After the chef had left there was more criticism of the Asian entree. As tactfully as I could I brought the fact that the chef asked us how everything was and we all replied it was fine. I asked how is the chef to know the dish was not correct if nobody tells him. They all agreed. Hopefully next time they will nicely express polite and constructive criticism rather than sitting there and grousing about it.

Today we arrived in Passau. We took the guided walking tour. There were five guides, one was for slow walkers which avoided some of the cobblestone streets and the steep steps. Our guide was Dorothea. If you can get her, by all means do. One of the highlights of the tour is a half hour organ recital in St. Stephan Cathedral. The rest of the afternoon was free time or you could take a guided hike. We went to the glass museum. It is incredibly extensive spanning five very large floors. If that is something you have an interest in, you could literally spend days in there. We virtually ran through it in 90 minutes.

On the Maria Theresa, you swipe your key card when you leave the ship and when you return on board. If someone is shown as off the ship at sailing time, they will use your photo to search the ship looking for you. I know this because at one port I swiped my card upon my return to the ship but it didn't register and at sailing time, they found me in the lounge to make sure I was on board.

Ah, funny you should mention this. When we returned from the glass factory my wife scanned in, but I guess I forgot to do so. About 15 minutes before we left Passau, I received a call front the reception desk to make sure I was on board.

Today we were in Regensburg and boy did we hit this town perfectly. June 19 to 21 is Burgerfest. They basically close down all the streets in the town center to traffic and it is a huge party. There are tents set up throughout the streets selling all kinds of food and all kinds of beer, along with other trinkets. Every 100 yards, or meters, there was a band playing.

We did take a tour of the town including the underground Jewish Quarter. The tour was good, but the excitement of the huge street fair drew all our attention.

If you are really interested in booking the BMW factory, book the cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest. I didn't realize it when I booked, but when you start from Budapest, you reach Regensburg on a Saturday and the factory is closed. If you leave from Amsterdam you reach it during the week.

The alternative that was offered is a tour of the Audi Museum. I was tempted, but the Burgerfest was just too good to pass up. Plus I also would have missed a lecture by Andreas Clemons on Germany from 1939 to 1989. If you are a history buff, it is not to be missed.

Edited by No Spin
Spelling

This is a great blog!! We are on this ship Sept. 6th and very excited. Thank you for taking the time on your vaca to give us this insight. Almost sounds like we should venture in Vienna on our own.

Sunday was spent in Nuremberg. Well in the morning we were still sailing to Nuremberg. A guest lecturer was on board and spoke for almost an hour on the Main-Danube Canal. Very fascinating and informative, I recommend it. The lecturer, Markus Urban, has also written a book on the subject and you can buy it and have it autographed for 20€.

For the Nuremberg tours you are actually disembarking the ship before the city and then meet the ship in Nuremberg. We took the city tour and there is also the WWII tour. Our tour guide was an older woman named Sara, and she was excellent. There is really only one old section of Nuremberg since it was pretty well destroyed in WWII. So the tour was only the Castle and the main market square.

As I mentioned earlier about my dismay at arriving in Regensberg on a Saturday and missing the factory tour, my wife was dismayed at arriving in Nuremberg on a Sunday as all the beautiful stores were closed. Only two souvenir shops were open.

Tour guides: All the guides we have had so far have been excellent. I have asked fellow passengers who took other tours how they enjoyed their tour and guides. With one exception they have been very pleased. When there are many people taking the same tour, UniWorld will hire multiple guides who will all do the same tour. It's just that each will start at a different point so we are not all bunched together. On one tour the other day some passengers told me that their guide did not take them into a church that our guide had taken us. They brought this up to the guide that they had not seen the church, but the guide still did not take them there. They complained to the Cruise Director, and I don't think you will see that guide on another UniWorld tour.

Also, so far maps have been given out for each town/city.

Thank you for posting all of this information. I plan to take a Budapest to Amsterdam tour next May. I was in a quandary trying to decide between the SS Maria Theresa or Amawaterway's Amaserena. From your wonderful description, I have decided on Uniworld. I appreciate your posts!

Thank you for posting all of this information. I plan to take a Budapest to Amsterdam tour next May. I was in a quandary trying to decide between the SS Maria Theresa or Amawaterway's Amaserena. From your wonderful description, I have decided on Uniworld. I appreciate your posts!

I am an admitted AMA fan, going on my first Uniworld cruise next week. What has surprised me so far are the number of excursions AMA included that are "optionals" on Uniworld. We know we will also miss our full balcony as Uniworld does not have that option, except in Suites.

We are on AmaSerena in 5 months for the Christmas markets. The ships of AMA are wonderful (five so far with them) and I much prefer the decor to Uniworld's boats. Cabin sizes are larger overall (comparing similar categories) and we really enjoy the Chef's Table for dinner.

The extra inclusions Uniworld offers are offset by the cost of the excursions, at least on our itinerary.

Both lines will offer a great experience but make sure you really check out the details before deciding.

Caviargal,

As an admitted Uniworld fan I can't wait to get your take specifically on Uniworld's food and service compared to AMA. I am one of those who really likes the unique boutique decor of Uniworld. I also have had the luxury of being in the suites with all the perks that come with that including the balcony. In my research comparing Uniworld and Ama I have found that there are some excursion included with Uniworld that are optional on Ama or the other way around as you are finding on your tour. Uniworld also offers some very uniques excursions that it appears they are the only line to offer such as the vinegar tasting tour on the Rhine or the lighting at night in St Marks Basillica in Venice. So with the included tips, alcohol, laundry, etc... I have stayed with Uniworld but Ama remains on my radar screen and can't wait to here your thoughts other then the decor. Have a great trip on the Catherine.

Caviargal,

As an admitted Uniworld fan I can't wait to get your take specifically on Uniworld's food and service compared to AMA. I am one of those who really likes the unique boutique decor of Uniworld. I also have had the luxury of being in the suites with all the perks that come with that including the balcony. In my research comparing Uniworld and Ama I have found that there are some excursion included with Uniworld that are optional on Ama or the other way around as you are finding on your tour. Uniworld also offers some very uniques excursions that it appears they are the only line to offer such as the vinegar tasting tour on the Rhine or the lighting at night in St Marks Basillica in Venice. So with the included tips, alcohol, laundry, etc... I have stayed with Uniworld but Ama remains on my radar screen and can't wait to here your thoughts other then the decor. Have a great trip on the Catherine.

Thank you! We are very much looking forward to our trip, and leave in just 9 days. I will post from the boat when the opportunity allows.:)

Wow, I'm falling way behind. I just saw that my last entry was for Sunday and here we just finished our Wednesday excursions. Well I'm going to have to give you the Evelyn Wood version ( the speed reading expert for those under 40).

Monday morning was spent in Bamberg. We took the walking tour, and all I can say is we have to come back here and spend more time. The afternoon was spent sailing. There was a workshop on cocktail making, with samples. :)

Tuesday we took the optional tour to Rothenburg. We had been there back in 1978, and wanted to return. We had a nice guided tour and then had about two hours on our own. I had downloaded the Rick Steves walking tour to my phone, and we did that tour. It was perfect because it took us places not covered by the UniWorld tour guide.

And today, Wednesday we toured Miltenberg. There was a walking tour of the town, and then there was a choice of seven optional tours. I took the brewery tour. I have been on brewery, vineyard and distillery tours around the world. I can say categorically this was the best of those tours I have ever taken. If you have even a passing interest in a brewery tour, TAKE THIS TOUR.

My wife took the watercolor tour. She went to a gallery where there was a lesson in painting a watercolor. She brought back a very pretty watercolor that she had done which we will have framed we we arrive home.

Caviargal, I checked AMA's day for Miltenberg and there is only a walking tour. On UniWorld in addition to the walking tour which everyone took, the other additional tours were a vineyard tour, a hike to the Castle, a guided bike tour, a home visit with boules playing, and a farm visit, and of course the watercolor painting and the fabulous brewery tour.

I have more tips for new cruisers on UniWorld, but I'll post them later, have to get dressed for dinner.:p

Caviargal, I checked AMA's day for Miltenberg and there is only a walking tour. On UniWorld in addition to the walking tour which everyone took, the other additional tours were a vineyard tour, a hike to the Castle, a guided bike tour, a home visit with boules playing, and a farm visit, and of course the watercolor painting and the fabulous brewery tour.

.:p

Sounds like you are having a great time!

With AMA, you can only view the Limited Edition Tours once you are paid in full. Then you can pull them up and reserve on their website (no cost).

Sounds like you are having a great time!

With AMA, you can only view the Limited Edition Tours once you are paid in full. Then you can pull them up and reserve on their website (no cost).

Yes, we are having a great time. I did just now look at AMA's schedule for Vienna and they include a tour to the Schonbruun Palace. As I mentioned earlier UniWorld charges 45€ pp, and you could do it on your own for one third of that price.

I am not so concerned about the extra cost tours since we paid by American Express and received a 270€ shipboard credit. So those credits paid for our tours. If we didn't use the credit for the tours, the 270€ would have gone unused because there was nothing else to spend it on. However, if I had to pay out of my pocket for that Schonbruun tour, I would have been displeased.

I am not so concerned about the extra cost tours since we paid by American Express and received a 270€ shipboard credit. So those credits paid for our tours. If we didn't use the credit for the tours, the 270€ would have gone unused because there was nothing else to spend it on. However, if I had to pay out of my pocket for that Schonbruun tour, I would have been displeased.

I felt the exact same way on our Rhône cruise. The extra tours were a little pricey for what you got. Glad we had OBC to spend on them. Otherwise, would have tried to do things on our own.

If you have a few € left over, they sold nice souvenir maps on our Rhône cruise for €7, I think. See if you can get one for the Danube. Nice to have as a (free) souvenir.

Enjoying your blog - you're doing a better job keeping up than I ever could!

We just did the Antionette on the Rhine. Did not do any optional tours, but we had $100 credit from our TA. The Antionette has a gift shop, so I got a beautiful Swarrowsky( don't know how to spell it) Crystal bracelet essentially for free. I don't remember a gift shop on the Beatrice so maybe they only have them on the new super ships.

This photo is how the pool looks from the Bar du Leopard when no one is in the pool area. You can see that you enter the pool immediately after entering the lounge.

I've tried since yesterday to upload additional photos to show how the pool looks and how the opaque windows work, but I'm having trouble uploading. We're staying for three extra days in Amsterdam, so I'll do it in early July when I can do it on my home computer.

image.jpg.ed7bbe8661cc7ec4b6a6536ffcb8cb90.jpg

I've tried since yesterday to upload additional photos to show how the pool looks and how the opaque windows work, but I'm having trouble uploading. We're staying for three extra days in Amsterdam, so I'll do it in early July when I can do it on my home computer.

It works a lot better if you upload the photos to one of the free photo-sharing websites (I use Shutterfly) and then link to them -- that way we can see them full size.

Thank you for all the lovely info. We're on River Duchess in Oct from Instanbul to Amsterdam. Just hoping won't be too cold.

I have a question about the DynaBox. My partner has hearing aides. Can they adapt for these? Sure they've thought of everything.

Keep enjoying

I have a question about the DynaBox. My partner has hearing aides. Can they adapt for these? Sure they've thought of everything.

Keep enjoying

Well I've fallen behind again, but since it is our last day on the ship (we get off tomorrow morning early in Amsterdam) I thought I'd better find the answer to your question. I asked our cruise director about the compatibility of QuietVox with hearing aids. She said that they do have a "loop" that is compatible with some hearing aids.

I didn't go into more detail about that because she explained that all the ships were getting new systems this July. She didn't have specifics, but said they will be much more hearing aid compatible. She also said that they will have GPS. So your partner should be in luck. You can probably check this forum in August and find a review from someone.

Kiwidebbie - Recent reports from Scenic have mentioned that they use a device "Tailormade" which includes GPS. If this is the brand that Uniworld is adopting soon, you might be able to find more information now from Scenic. Or perhaps one of our Scenic veterans can reply here about the hearing aid compatibility of those devices.

OK, I've fallen behind again. I'm going to give a quick recap of the tours for the last three days. I have a number tips and other info that I think first cruisers could use. I know I would have found some of it helpful had I known. I will hold that until we return and I can do it at home, sometime after the 4th of July.

Thursday we were berthed in Frankfort. We opted for the full day (9 to 5) tour of Heidelburg. Part of the reason for the length is the 1 hour 15 minute bus ride to get there. As an aside, I found the UniWorld buses to be modern and very nice, but there is no restroom onboard. However, after every bus ride the first thing the guide does is point out the WC's.

We first toured the castle, which was a little disappointing to me since so much of it is gone. The Pharmacy Museum was mildly interesting. We then went into the town for a walking tour which included tasting stops at no less than five shops. You then have about two hours of free time. This is the one day where lunch is not included. We ate at Goldener Hecht, at the foot of the old bridge (excellent Wiener schnitzel).

Friday we were in Rudesheim. The tour took us up a gondola ride to the Neiderwald. It was interesting and the views were spectacular. There was some free time in town before we sailed at noon.

This afternoon was the sail along the Rhine and the viewing of all the castles. Our cruise director narrated non-stop from 2:30 to 5:30. Fortunately it was a reasonably nice day and we could be on the sun deck. I haven't mentioned the weather, but to paraphrase Mark Twain, the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in Germany. Ever since leaving Budapest the temperature has not risen above 63F, and several days never got out of the 50's. Many people, including my wife, had to buy jackets or sweaters.

Today we were in Cologne just for a quick morning walking tour. The main site was the Cathedral. We had an excellent guide, Stefan, who had a doctorate in history. That is about all we saw of Cologne.