Norway and the Cape and north

Mura, I hae been lurking on the Viking forum since it began. I know alll about the problems the maiden journey and the limping into Bergen this summer.

The cruises I am looking at are for 2017.

I am a adventurer and if problems arise I go to plan B.

I love the ship design and the layout from all I have seen. I also love that it is not a US based cookie cutter designed ship of what ever size.

I know the Azarama will also be remodeld in 2016 with a lighter feel.

I have plenty of time to see if the Viking has worked its kinks out this year and into 2016.

I am interested in their ports of call in Norway up to the Artic circle. I like the idea of a ship with less than 1000 people and a eccletic group of passengers.

Edited by Azulann

As I said, I'm not particularly concerned about the problems the ship had. What bothers me more are the complaints about customer service, and those have been long standing.

I'm sure you'll have a great cruise whatever you decide.

Our TA has stopped booking Viking precisely because of these difficulties. If a TA has trouble getting responses, I don't know what ordinary passengers can expect.

We had three Viking river boat trips -- the first two were great, the last one not so much. So we don't expect to return to them.

Mura

Getting to Honnisfang or even Bergen for me is thousands upon thousand's of dollars more and my carrier of choice Star Alliance, doesn't fly there. Then the extreme cost of hotel, meals inNorway.... makes it further impact

Doesn't have to be that expensive. I took Norwegian Air from LAX non-stop to Oslo (they also fly to Bergen) and by purchasing my ticket as soon as they were available, spent only $685 round trip. I took the train from Oslo to Bergen at the Minipris price which was a deal (and also did that returning to Oslo after my cruise). I also saved a lot staying at AirBnB rather than expensive hotels. The AirBnB places I stayed had kitchens or at least a refrigerator and microwave, and I bought breakfast foods in the local grocery store which also saved a lot.