Veranda g or A3 concierge on Oceania room size?

Troban

I just returned from our first ever cruise, it was Regent. We are looking at one next year to Canada New England. We are open to Oceania for reasons we don't drink much and would like to do some of our own excursions.

However the much smaller room size concerns me? Anyone had issues for 10 days?

Thank you, I posting this in both lines.

Chartist, Thank you. It's a hard choice just coming off a regent. Your comments are swaying me. We don't drink much and opportunity to diy excursions is interesting.

We were just spoiled on regent however.

Travel cat, depending on site I am told Oceania A concierge is 160 or 173 feet not counting balcony. Regent is 252 I beleive for a Veranda G again not counting Balcony. Quite a bit of difference, but we are there to see places, not the room hubby says.

Can I ask why you would pick Regent regardless?

Thanks

We mostly cruise on regent, a little on silversea. We have been on Oceania once. My husband would not cruise on Oceania again. I would be ok with it, but I guess I would have to leave him home, so probably not happening soon.

THe main reason is the siZe of the room. Even with the concierge level on Oceania, it is smaller Than a regular suite on regent. Where we really noticed the difference was in the closet. I love that even the smallest regent cabins have walkin closets. I can get up early to exercise and not bother my husband.

We thought the food in the specialty restaurants on Oceania was fine, but found the main dining room to be much inferior to compass rose on any regent ship. I did not like the buffet on Oceania at all. Yes, I know some people rave about it, but it was not my thing.

I had major computer connection issues as well, and my husband hated having to show his card for drinks all the time.

Troban: the suite size you are quoting is only for the Mariner. The Voyager and Navigator suites are 301 square feet plus balcony (note: Navigator has some suites without a balcony).

Strongly agree with RachelG regarding the food on Oceania. While the specialty restaurants were great, the MDR and buffet did not meet expectations. The cost of excursions were over the top expensive (they use the same tour operators Regent).

Once you leave your suite on Regent, all passengers are treated the same. This is not true on Oceania.

Troban: the suite size you are quoting is only for the Mariner. The Voyager and Navigator suites are 301 square feet plus balcony (note: Navigator has some suites without a balcony).

Actually I spoke with Regent this am and the 301 they show for Regent and then the 216 shown on Oceania both include the balcony.

I loved the space on Regent. The food was awesome for me, Hubby was not as happy which he is a total red meat eater so while in Alaska the fish, crab, lobster held no sway for him. I am Gluten free and was totally in heaven.

One moment I am swinging towards one, then next I am flipping back. I have got price diff down to about 1000 including excursions so a difference but not a deal breaker, it does give one pause tho.

Once you leave your suite on Regent, all passengers are treated the same. This is not true on Oceania.

Once you leave room, how does anyone know where you came from?

Your room key/card on Oceania gives a lot of information about you. If you purchase a drink you have to give your card. Also, only passengers in certain cabins can go into the Concierge Lounge and passengers in suites can go into the Executive Lounge. These things do not exist on Regent and, you rarely have to show your card. If you do have to show the card, the information is embedded in the card rather than printed on it.

Glad to hear that Regent was able to provide gluten free food for you. Did your husband find the red meat better on Oceania? We have had hits and misses on both cruise lines. Overall we prefer Regent but Oceania is a very good, lower cost alternative.

Let us know what your choose:)

Travelcat,

I owe you an apology and stand corrected, that 301 number was stuck in my head. You are right Navigator rooms were larger. I am thinking going to just a hair over HALF that combined with no Boston just decided it for this 'need a little space ' woman.

Thank you so much.

Travelcat,

I owe you an apology and stand corrected, that 301 number was stuck in my head. You are right Navigator rooms were larger. I am thinking going to just a hair over HALF that combined with no Boston just decided it for this 'need a little space ' woman.

Thank you so much.

No problem -- suite sizes are confusing as sometimes they list the balcony separately and other times it is included. On the Mariner, although the penthouse and above suites are larger, the closets are smaller than regular suites on the Navigator or Voyager. While not a big deal on most itineraries, I would not have been able to fit my clothes in the walk-through closet in our Seven Seas Suite if we had been on a long cruise (you walk from the bedroom through the closet to get to the bathroom). I do wonder what they were thinking when they built the Mariner - such a beautiful ship with tiny closets and miniscule safes.

Well I just booked and next October I will have a better feel for difference between Navigator and Mariner. We were quite happy on Navigator, it will be interesting to check out a bigger ship.

Troban, I was never quite able to figure out to which Oceania ship you were referring. You mentioned 173 square feet; that would be Regatta, Insignia, Nautica or Sirena. Their veranda cabins are 173 square feet plus 43 sq ft balcony. All four ships are identical (or will be, once Sirena is purchased from Princess in 2016, refurbished for $40 Million and placed in the fleet).

Oceania Marina and Riviera are also nearly identical to each other. Their veranda cabins are 242 sq ft with a 40 sq ft balcony. However, most of the extra square footage over the smaller ships is in the bathroom, partly from having a tub and a shower plus extra depth, and it is difficult to see the difference in the cabin itself.

Regent Mariner's base suites are 252 sq ft plus a 49 sq ft balcony.

Regent Voyager's base suites are 306 sq ft plus a 50 sq ft balcony.

Regent Navigator's base suite (other than the ocean view cabins) are 301 sq ft plus a 55 sq ft balcony.

I have sailed Navigator and Voyager, Regatta, Insignia, Marina and Riviera, and I can attest to those sizes being accurate. My source for the specific numbers is http://CruiseDeckPlans.com, which over the years I have found to be much more accurate that cruise company representatives who have most likely never been on one of the ships.

Hi, yes it was Regatta. We had sailed Navigator and loved the room size, thru this thread and helpful posters such as yourself I now know Mariner rooms are about 50 sq feet less. Thank you for info and link, cool website.

We usually sail on Regent, but we recently got off the Oceania Marina, where we were in a concierge room. In theory, the rooms were only a little bit smaller on Oceania than on Regent; but they felt much smaller due to two things:

No curtain between the bed and the balcony, so I couldn't read or do my stretches without waking up Joan.

Much smaller closet, set next to the bed. This made getting dressed a juggling act.

I agree with the food comments: MDR and buffet (at breakfast and lunch) not as good as Regent, specialty restaurants on the Marina more varied and better than Regent. On thing I really missed at the Martina buffet was being able to give your table number (there were no numbers on Marina buffet tables) and have your food delivered to your table. Also, the Marina breakfast choices were more limited than on Regent, although the choices were great in the MDR.

We usually sail on Regent, but we recently got off the Oceania Marina, where we were in a concierge room. In theory, the rooms were only a little bit smaller on Oceania than on Regent; but they felt much smaller...

Yes, this is a perfect case of numbers being deceiving. At 242 sq ft interior, the interior space on Marina or Riviera, in veranda cabins (Concierge, Veranda and Ocean View are all identical in the interior) sounds very close to Mariner's 252 sq ft. I haven't been on Mariner, but one reason is the bathroom has only a tub or a shower, not both. This extra space allows the much nicer walk-in closet. I also agree that the curtain on Regent ships is great; even the penthouse cabins on Oceania have only a "fake" curtain that does not close.

Edited by hondorner

Totally agree with Rachel. We cruised on the Riviera last January in a Concierge level cabin. It was way tooo small. The closet is small and next to the bed which makes it hard to get things out. The shower was tiny. I'm 5'3 and found I could barely move. I also found the food in the specialty restaurant good but I was disappointed with main dining room. I won't sail on Oceania unless we book a penthouse and that will only be for the Caribbean. I find that Regent offers more. I also hated having to sign for every drink even with the drink package.. I figure if you add the drinks and tour to a cruise in Europe, you pay the same as with Regent and get less. I love cruising with Regent. I guess I've been spoiled by Regent.