Walking back to hotel

rhsjr

We are touring London and the end point/drop off is the London Eye. I believe the drop off is around 5 PM in late August. Is it safe to walk back to out hotel? I know the distance is about 2.4 miles and that is not an issue for us, but more concerned about the safety. London Eye to Pepys Street

Great stroll along the river in a beautiful part of London. It will be light late into the evening and lots of people (tourists and locals) will be out and about. You should be perfectly safe.

Not sure how you are planning the route, but out of curiousity I stuck it in Google maps and it suggests walking along the river and then through the City of London (e.g over Southwark or Blackfriars Bridges) - that takes you on some busy roads (they all have sidewalks, of course, but a lot of traffic that time of day).

Personally I'd stay south of the river and go all the way along the river bank to Tower Bridge, over there and past the Tower itself to Pepys Street. Slightly longer, and you are backtracking a bit, but a better way to do it, IMHO. You'll pass several riverside pubs and restaurants around the Globe Theatre or just east of London Bridge, which might be suitable places of refreshment :)

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

A funny you should ask this question but understood given the Baltimore recent news.

LOndon is very safe given the totally touristic areas and the large number of tourists you will see. Of course there are some neighborhoods where one could question their safety but not anywhere near the center.

A funny you should ask this question but understood given the Baltimore recent news.

LOndon is very safe given the totally touristic areas and the large number of tourists you will see. Of course there are some neighborhoods where one could question their safety but not anywhere near the center.

That is the same with Paris. The slums are not in the city center.

What areas should we avoid away from the center of London? I understand the West end is the more affluent side of the city.

London is generally a safe city, with the usual precautions as you would anywhere. as with any city there are areas to avoid or go with extra caution but these areas tend not to be frequented by tourists. I work in London and have never felt anxious, enjoy our beautiful city :)

If you are concerned about any area in particular, if you post where you are intending visiting, I'm sure they are plenty of us here to give you opinion