Canceling a suite BEFORE final payment

AEckhardt

I have searched and I have read the new policy, yet in still unsure.

Sadly, I had to cancel my sailing for the September. I was 84 days out from sailing. Final payment would have been due June 21st.

It was always my understanding that if you cancelled prior to final payment, you were refunded your deposit. Now I'm seeing that this new charts says at 84 days I the cancellation fee is 50%. Is this 50% of the deposit? I had travel insurance on my invoice, yet because it was prior to final payment, it had not been payed yet.

This is the first time I have ever canceled a cruise. We plan on scheduling another one for this winter, but were unsure of where and when. My PCC is on vacation until the 22nd. The person I was routed to simply acknowledged my cancelation, nothing more.

I had paid a $500 deposit (for the Dawn DOS) and prepaid the gratuities. I just want to know what I should be looking for on my CC statement.

Because you have booked in a suite, the cancellation fee is 50% of the cruise fare (or the entire deposit, whichever is higher). Sorry you will miss the cruise and have to pay a hefty penalty.

Edited by theloo

Sadly, I had to cancel my sailing for the September. I was 84 days out from sailing. Final payment would have been due June 21st.

It was always my understanding that if you cancelled prior to final payment, you were refunded your deposit. Now I'm seeing that this new charts says at 84 days I the cancellation fee is 50%. Is this 50% of the deposit? I had travel insurance on my invoice, yet because it was prior to final payment, it had not been payed yet.

This is the first time I have ever canceled a cruise. We plan on scheduling another one for this winter, but were unsure of where and when. My PCC is on vacation until the 22nd. The person I was routed to simply acknowledged my cancelation, nothing more.

I had paid a $500 deposit (for the Dawn DOS) and prepaid the gratuities. I just want to know what I should be looking for on my CC statement.

Here is a link to the NCL cancellation policy. http://www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule

At 84 days out, you are looking at a 50% cruise price fee for cancelling a suite. If you only had $500 deposit against the cruise fare, you will not be getting any money back at all, except the PPD gratuities. Sorry. :(

Final payment for suites is due at 90 days out if you booked before 2015 and 120 days out if you booked during 2015. They may have cancelled your cruise for you before you did.

The fee schedule says 50%* & the * indicates "or deposit, whichever is higher" so I don't think you are due a refund of anything except the gratuities but call and speak to someone else. You don't have to wait for your PCC.

Final Payment was very clearly marked on MyNCL and I was certainly before that. I think perhaps it is the Havens that have a final payment 120 days out. I booked this cruise on Jan 3rd, 2015. 50% of the cruise fare would be far more than the $500 deposit! Do I owe NCL??

I wish the PCC i was transferred to would have explained this.

Edited by AEckhardt

Final Payment was very clearly marked on MyNCL and I was certainly before that. I think perhaps it is the Havens that have a final payment 120 days out. I booked this cruise on Jan 3rd, 2015. 50% of the cruise fare would be far more than the $500 deposit! Do I owe NCL??

I have been bit before by this simple misconception, Final Payment Date, and Cancellation Date are 2 entirely different things, especially when talking about suites. Although payment is due at 90 days out, cancellation penalties begin at 120 days out. I don't think you will owe them, I just think you will only get PPD gratuities back. But as stated by the previous poster, you will need to call NCL to get it confirmed.

I wish the PCC i was transferred to would have explained this.

Ahh Sorry! I forgot the Dawn doesn't have a Haven - just saw you referring to the DOS.

I thought this penalty was 50% of the cruise fare or your deposit, whichever was higher? The only time I had to cancel I think it cost us about $1,500, but that was a long time back. Pretty sure we had to pay part of our cruise fare.

Once again, NCL's policies do not come across very clear. The asterisk says 50% of cruise fare or the deposit, whichever is greater. That suggests I owe 50% of my the total cruise price. Travel insurance should cover that, but because the insurance was to be purchased via NCL, it was not paid yet, as I was before final payment.

This certainly requires some clarification.

If I had to pay half of my fare that would be thousands, And I wouldt have cancelled.

Edited by AEckhardt

Once again, NCL's policies do not come across very clear. The asterisk says 50% of cruise fare or the deposit, whichever is greater. That suggests I owe 50% of my the total cruise price. Travel insurance should cover that, but because the insurance was to be purchased via NCL, it was not paid yet, as I was before final payment.

This certainly requires some clarification.

If I had to pay half of my fare that would be thousands, And I wouldt have cancelled.

That's the point I was trying to make. I believe we had to pay a share of our total cruise cost. And you don't have travel insurance I don't think since you never paid for it? Good luck and make sure you let us know how it works out.

Actually I think the policy is pretty clear, you and I both seem to read it the same way. 50% of the cruise fare or the deposit, whichever is greater.

Well I just got off the phone with Guest Relations.

Everything was refunded to me this morning according to their files. He said the other policy refers to Havens and not S categories, (although the website says otherwise) he reiterated several times that it was incorrect.

I don't know how this happened, but I am counting my blessings. If the PCC had told me I would still owe 50% I never would have canceled, lol, I would have missed my cousins wedding!!

I told the PCC why I was canceling, and I was pretty bummed because we got a great deal. I also told him I wanted to schedule another cruise, but we were considering a different itinerary and would need time to make that decision. I would hope he would have at least brought up something as significant as a 50% penalty at that time!

Edited by AEckhardt

I don't know how this happened, but I am counting my blessings. If the PCC had told me I would still owe 50% I never would have canceled, lol, I would have missed my cousins wedding!!

That had better be the wedding of the century! I'm missing a cousin and a nephew's weddings for my TA cruise.

That had better be the wedding of the century! I'm missing a cousin and a nephew's weddings for my TA cruise.

Lol, I mentally fought back and forth over canceling for a good couple months, but my father and his whole side of the family will be there, coming from all corners of the country. I haven't seen any of them in 20 years.. So.... Ya. I think I'd permanently be shunned if I skipped it for a cruise! [emoji58]

If only she'd get married in Bermuda!!!

Edited by AEckhardt

That's the point I was trying to make. I believe we had to pay a share of our total cruise cost. And you don't have travel insurance I don't think since you never paid for it? Good luck and make sure you let us know how it works out.

Actually I think the policy is pretty clear, you and I both seem to read it the same way. 50% of the cruise fare or the deposit, whichever is greater.

The way I'm looking at it is, the only payment made was the deposit, since there was no final payment made, the greater would be only the deposit ($500 deposit vs $0). The greater of the two is the deposit.

Edited by weelv2cruise

The way I'm looking at it is, the only payment made was the deposit, since there was no final payment made, the greater would be only the deposit ($500 deposit vs $0). The greater of the two is the deposit.

But final payment has nothing to paying the cancellation penalty in the contract. For suites and Haven, the penalty starts before final payment.

Well I just got off the phone with Guest Relations.

Everything was refunded to me this morning according to their files. He said the other policy refers to Havens and not S categories, (although the website says otherwise) he reiterated several times that it was incorrect.

I told the PCC why I was canceling, and I was pretty bummed because we got a great deal. I also told him I wanted to schedule another cruise, but we were considering a different itinerary and would need time to make that decision. I would hope he would have at least brought up something as significant as a 50% penalty at that time!

I'm glad it worked out for you. Wish we had that kind of luck.;)

But final payment has nothing to paying the cancellation penalty in the contract. For suites and Haven, the penalty starts before final payment.

I can't see the cancellation fee ever exceeding the deposit prior to the final payment date. If the cancellation fee was 600, but only a 500 deposit had been made, is the cruise line going to chase you for the other 100? Good luck ever collecting that.

I was very surprised and enlightened to read this thread. I did not know the cancellation policy changed and snuck in... I'll have to be careful because right now I need to cancel one pax unless A) they reconcile, or B) a new guy comes along (Third year undergrad or MS candidates preferred... :D) I may have technicaly booked in 2014, but I have rebooked 2x already, once just to add his sorry butt....:p

Yes true. Final payment for Haven suites are now 120 days prior to sailing. If I cancel prior to that I get the deposit back. However, if I cancel after that there is a graduated scale. If I cancel 119-90 days I lose 25% of the fare--which the deposit was applied to the fare. From 89-56 days I lose 50%, etc. Up to the day prior to final payment there is no penalty. For none Haven for 6days or more you lose the cruise deposit, 74-56 days, cruise deposit, for 55-30 days it's 50% of the fare (final payment has been made), 29-15 days 75% of fare and 14 day or less 100% of fare. It's at http://www.ncl.com/about/cancellationk-fee-schedule. In other words, they can't take something you haven't already paid.

Edited by weelv2cruise

Lol, I mentally fought back and forth over canceling for a good couple months, but my father and his whole side of the family will be there, coming from all corners of the country. I haven't seen any of them in 20 years.. So.... Ya. I think I'd permanently be shunned if I skipped it for a cruise! [emoji58]

If only she'd get married in Bermuda!!!

Is there a reason why you haven't seen them in 20 years? Maybe a cruise is better?

I posted my first response which I just deleted before reading your good news about the deposit. I am glad it is working out for you and hope, next time you are able to book you remember the guide lines which really are pretty clear and also consider taking insurance, which it appears you didn't have. Enjoy the wedding.

Edited by newmexicoNita