Teppanyaki - Sushi orders?

oracer

Hopefully someone knows this or might have seen it or not. Have one of our guests that when they go to a Japanese Steakhouse, they usually order sushi. Will Teppanyaki take a sushi order, we don't care that it is ala carte and know that we have to pay for it, just was wondering if they allow that?

We are going on the Getaway in July and all of us have the UDP.

Yes you can. I almost always get a roll or two to share with my table mates before the chefs come out. On my last cruise the sushi chef saw me going into teppanyaki and sent me his special roll that he had made me for dinner the night before.

Not sure on the Getaway but on Dawn it was no problem, the only real problem was that sushi added more food to what is already a whole lot of food at Teppanyaki.

Could have made a meal of the soup, salad, vegatables and rice. And the main entree's aren't even cooked yet. then add sushi on top...

This guest I was referring to doesn't eat much of the stuff on the grill, so it sounds like we just need to maybe get with the sushi place before we go and just get it sent down at our reservation time. Unless others say to order it from Teppanyaki and they will get it. At least it sounds like it can be done.

On some ships - Epic, for example, the sushi bar is right outside of Teppanyaki. But on Getaway, Teppanyaki is 2 floors away from the sushi bar. I'm just not sure if Teppanyaki on Getaway is allowed to send waiters to Wasabi to pick up sushi. I think you would have to ask the restaurant manager for Teppanyaki. But the other issue would be how to charge the person who is eating sushi in Teppanyaki. Is the idea he would get sushi from one restaurant and also get food from Teppanyaki? Maybe this guest would be better off not going to Teppanyaki at all if he doesn't eat grilled food. If it's a food allergy or something, even being in an environment where something you are allergic to is being cooked can be dangerous.

has nothing to do with allergies or anything and since this is UDP it doesn't matter about the charge. What matters is that he eats with the group of people during dinner. I just ask because when we go to a Japanese restaurant he gets only sushi while we do the grill.

If I was dining at Teppanyaki, and I had to wait for my server while a tablemate sent him on a mission two decks away for a special request not available in the restaurant, I'd wish sea sickness on that person.

has nothing to do with allergies or anything and since this is UDP it doesn't matter about the charge. What matters is that he eats with the group of people during dinner. I just ask because when we go to a Japanese restaurant he gets only sushi while we do the grill.
I wouldn't even mention it to him as an option and then if he asks the server, they will either accommodate him or not. If you tell him it is an option and then it is not when you dine there, he might be disappointed.

Lrgpizza, that is why I wouldn't ask you to be at the table, sa. :( We have 8 in our group, so we will be filling up the whole table. This is a question to see if it is availabile, not for opinions that are not welcome.

Lrgpizza, that is why I wouldn't ask you to be at the table, sa. :( We have 8 in our group, so we will be filling up the whole table. This is a question to see if it is availabile, not for opinions that are not welcome.

I was unaware there were 8 in your group. Beyond that, you don't get to "ask" the others to be at your table - strangers are seated with you if your own group doesn't fill it. You are correct that you won't have to concern yourself with being considerate of others since your party fills the table. My point was therefore moot, but certainly not an unwarranted opinion.

This guest I was referring to doesn't eat much of the stuff on the grill, so it sounds like we just need to maybe get with the sushi place before we go and just get it sent down at our reservation time. Unless others say to order it from Teppanyaki and they will get it. At least it sounds like it can be done.

I didn't think you could get sushi "to go." Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I remember seeing discussions that you could not get sushi for in-room dining in suites.

FYI - Sushi is not included in the UDP so there would still be a charge. If the current UDP, then it is a la carte. If on the new dining plan beginning in August, there is an up charge for it.

I would not hesitate to ask, all they can say is no. What you might want to do, though, is go sometime before your actual reservation and speak with the hostess and explain the situation. She can either answer the question or direct you to a manager, if necessary.

We were on the Getaway in Jan and our daughter's boyfriend ordered sushi and it was no problem. A charge is a charge to the onboard account, it makes no difference where the charge originates. If there is a charge for it, they will simply ask for your guest's onboard acct card and no worries.

You will find a lot of the time on these boards, others will try to make something so simple sound impossible. My Dad used to say "the answer will always be no if you never ask". Enjoy your cruise and be sure to share a review when you get back!

Edited by tarps14

It depend on the ship. If I recall correctly, on the Star, Dawn, Jade, Pearl, Jewel, Gem...the sushi bar is just outside of the teppanyaki restaurant.

On the Epic, Breakaway, Getaway, and soon Bliss, Escape it is 2 decks away.

I don't know about the Sun, Sky, POA locations.

David