Dolphin Swim excursions

My family and I are going on the NCL Spirit from 26 Dec 15 - 2 Jan 16. My son has always wanted to swim with the dolphins. He is now tall and old enough (he will be 8 and a descent swimmer). There are several dolphin swims available at the ports we will be at: Costa Maya; George Town, Grand Cayman; and Ocho Rios, Jamaica.

Has anyone done a dolphin swim before? Can anyone recommend any of the dolphin swims at these ports?

We plan on doing the following on these port days...so I am trying to figure out how to put it in and what I will have to forgo.

Costa Maya - Blue Kay beach

Grand Cayman - Native Way: Snorkeling, StingRay Bar & Rum Point

Jamaica - Marvyn's Paradise Tours: Blue Hole, Dunn's River Falls & Scotchies (lunch stop)

Thanks in advance,

Kristi

All dolphin swim places are inherently cruel to the dolphins and people should avoid them. Before you go to one of these places, do a WEB search on "dolphin swim cruelty" and read some of the stuff. I do not see how anyone could do a dolphin swim after reading these posts.

Dolphins are very intelligent social animals used to swimming long distances in the open ocean in pods with the rest of the family group. They are not used to being separated from their family group, being penned up in a small enclosure and being made to perform in ways that they would not do in the wild.

How would you feel if a super-intelligent group from another planet separated you from your kids and put the kids or you in a small cage and made you perform or you would be whipped or not fed. That is the equivalent to what we do to the dolphins in a dolphin enclosure.

Think about it.

DON

All dolphin swim places are inherently cruel to the dolphins and people should avoid them.

Not 'all' dolphin swim places are cruel (check out Anthony's Key Resort in Roatan and their dolphin program). It was an amazing experience with dolphins that can come and go as they please, but chose to stay.

Anyway, the dolphin swim in Cayman is nice. Its in a great area, as the turtle farm is right across the street. Then if you're hungry, just down the street is a great restaurant, Cracked Conch, with a fab view from their outside deck. Its all easy to get to via the local "bus" which is usually a mini van :); I think its like a dollar a person?

Although if you want to visit the stingrays, you might want to do the dolphins at another port. Decisions, decisions. :)

Here I was hoping the anti dolphin people would not be here. :( I would search reviews on TA and choose from there. Just for the love of all that is holy, don't ask about it over there either.

Here I was hoping the anti dolphin people would not be here. :( I would search reviews on TA and choose from there. Just for the love of all that is holy, don't ask about it over there either.

Actually, those are the PRO dolphin people. The anti-dolphin people are the ones telling folks to go ahead and do these tours.

Actually, those are the PRO dolphin people. The anti-dolphin people are the ones telling folks to go ahead and do these tours.

man where is the like button when you need it?

while I would not have worded my response as strongly as others, I do recommend that you educate yourself on this issue, and then you can make an informed decision as to whether you wish to participate. I also recognize the difference between a captive experience and one that allows the animals to come and go as they please.

This is a growing hot-button topic here on CC - one of the hottest topics on Trip-Advisor are the lion and tiger cub photo booths in Cabo and other Mexican resorts. There is evidence that the cubs are tranquilized to make them docile and then exterminated when they get too large. These folks target cruise ship passengers and I wish there was more talk here about them.

Remember that "smile" on the dolphin' face is permanent - doesn't mean he/she is necessarily happy.

At any rate I do hope you and your family have a great cruise.

Edited by alexspepa