Seward- Kenai fjords vs. kenai + Seaworld excursions

Steve007NY

Hi everyone,

Slight variation on the OP's questions.

I am coming into Seward by train arriving at 11:15. Our cruise sails in the evening at 8pm. RCCL advised me I must be on the ship 90 minutes before sailing (6:30pm). I am not one to cut it close and certainly don't want to miss the ship.

It looks like the only Resurrection Bay tours leave 11:30-12 and return by 4:30-5:30. Is the Bay my only realistic option? Does this mean I can't make it to the Fjords & make it back in time? 5:30 is about as late as I'd like to push my 'get on the ship' timeline.

Several have mentioned the bay tours aren't worth it compared the Fjords. Is this is the case?

If we skip the boat tour, our backup plan is to shuttle to Exit Glacier and walk/hike around there.

Look forward to your responses.

I have personally, gotten onto cruise ships in Seward, after doing Kenai Fjords boat tours. With NO problem. several times.

Yes- the bay tours are a waste of money- in my opinion. they do not get far enough. Have you looked at the route maps?

Alright ... I booked it. I am still anxious about getting back in time. I've never cut it anywhere near this close, I usually arrive in the port city a full day before. I guess I'm also worried because it's a boat, and if something happens (engine trouble?) we probably wouldn't get back in time.

Still nervous...but we booked it.

Alright ... I booked it. I am still anxious about getting back in time. I've never cut it anywhere near this close, I usually arrive in the port city a full day before. I guess I'm also worried because it's a boat, and if something happens (engine trouble?) we probably wouldn't get back in time.

Still nervous...but we booked it.

As only a general comment- but, I wonder why anyone, who is NOT totally comfortable with the details of tours, would subject themselves to this uncertainty? It is likely it is going to eat away at you, and hang over your head, your entire trip. Will I get back in time, will I get back in time, what's that engine sound, will I get back in time??????

What compels someone to subject themselves to this? NOT looking for any answers.

Be true to yourself.

Edited by Budget Queen

Ah, if life offered only sure things. For some, that would be paradise; for others, boring.

Generally,for me, I found that life is mostly about compromises. Go to the place you really want to but pain more or risk being late. Spend more on th for me, I found that life is mostly about compromises. Go to the place you really want to but pay more or risk being late. e cabin, or on tours? Longer vacation, but no you're going to have to hook up with work on the Internet or shorter ones where you can "tune out".

For us, going all the way to the Northwestern fjord seemed with the small possibility of being late. Longer vacation, but no you're going to have to hook up with work on the Internet or shorter ones where you can "tune out".

For us, going all the way to the Northwestern fjord seems worth the small possibilities of being late. Only later will we know whether we'll be dancing in joy or eating these words.

To all & in general,

Do what you want and what fits your schedule... it is your vacation.

After reading many thoughts / reviews on here prior to our cruise a couple of weeks ago, I almost didn't do the Kenai Fjords 4 & 1/2hr Resurrection Bay w/lunch at Fox Island tour. People say it's not long enough, food isn't good, your limiting the chances to see wildlife, etc....

Well. it turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip. We had time before the tour to walk around Seward, we had a fabulous prime rib & salmon meal, and we saw a ton of wildlife & scenery, including orcas, humpbacks bubble net feeding, puffin, eagles, sea-lions & otters.

Most importantly, the excursion fit "perfectly" into our stay in Seward. We had time prior to the tour to drop off our luggage at the RR station & shop/look around the town. We had a fabulous time on the water with lunch included. After the tour we had time to stroll the boardwalk and see the fisherman's catches for the day and then board the train for Anchorage. We could not have had a better day in Seward!

I do understand that the farther you go and the more time on the water the more chances you are going to have to see "things". But if you don't go on a tour because of what others say, then you have zero chance of seeing "things".

Enjoy your cruises! :)

I took the time to re-read the entire thread. When I hopped on the thread before I thought it was only 1-2 posters. I didn't realize so many of you have done it and had no problems. That really makes me confident the timing will be fine.

Also, based on the reviews & your comments, If they give us the option to cancel or only go to the bay, I'll probably cancel and snag a shuttle to Exit Glacier. There are 8 of us taking this tour and I'm sure some will still do it.

Thanks everyone for your advice and feedback. I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes for Steve in a few weeks!

Edited by Studio472

To all & in general,

Do what you want and what fits your schedule... it is your vacation.

After reading many thoughts / reviews on here prior to our cruise a couple of weeks ago, I almost didn't do the Kenai Fjords 4 & 1/2hr Resurrection Bay w/lunch at Fox Island tour. People say it's not long enough, food isn't good, your limiting the chances to see wildlife, etc....

Well. it turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip. We had time before the tour to walk around Seward, we had a fabulous prime rib & salmon meal, and we saw a ton of wildlife & scenery, including orcas, humpbacks bubble net feeding, puffin, eagles, sea-lions & otters.

Most importantly, the excursion fit "perfectly" into our stay in Seward. We had time prior to the tour to drop off our luggage at the RR station & shop/look around the town. We had a fabulous time on the water with lunch included. After the tour we had time to stroll the boardwalk and see the fisherman's catches for the day and then board the train for Anchorage. We could not have had a better day in Seward!

I do understand that the farther you go and the more time on the water the more chances you are going to have to see "things". But if you don't go on a tour because of what others say, then you have zero chance of seeing "things".

Enjoy your cruises! :)

Glad you had such a great time. BUT, your, one time tour was an exception. most do not have anywhere near that amount of wildlife sightings.

The way I see it, there are different types of risks and I believe it is important to view things in perspective.

We each determine for ourselves which risks are worth taking, and which are not.

To me, the chance of possibly missing a ship at a port on an Alaska cruise by going off on an independent excursion is hardly taking much of a risk at all.

But even if it should happen, it would have no permanent or long lasting impact on our lives or our health.

The very worst that would occur would be an annoying inconvenience that costs us some extra money to catch up with the ship at the next port.

As risks in life go, the chance of missing the ship at Seward by taking a Kenai Fjords tour is so remote that I would not be concerned about it in the slightest.

Edited by fleckle

• 1 month later...

Wanted to report that we were able to take the Kenai Fjords National Park Tour without issue. No part of the tour felt rushed. When the tour was over, there were plenty of shuttles to the cruise terminal. We arrived at the pier shortly before 6pm. The pier was a ghost town, no lines, no wait, security was easy.

I asked the check-in person what the real 'drop dead' time is to get on the ship and she said 7pm. There really wasn't a need to worry.