Seward- Kenai fjords vs. kenai + Seaworld excursions

Steve007NY

We are booked back-to-back on the millennium Vancouver-Seward; Seward-Vancouver cruise we are booked back-to-back on the millennium Vancouver-Seward; Seward-Vancouver s in a few weeks. We are looking at the two Kenai Fjord excursions during the turnaround day. Both state they are 8 1/2 hours. Both say they include 5 hour cruise. One includes Seaworld visit. Any idea what the other does to pass the time that first spend in Seaworld?

Steve: There is no Seaworld facility in Seward. You are referring to the SeaLife Center which is much more of an educational facility as opposed to an entertainment venue.

Seward is a beautiful small community. The Millennium will be docking essentially on one side of the small boat harbor, with the community on the other side. There is a bus which circles through the town, but if you are interested in a Kenai Fjords National Park tour you can also just walk from the Millennium to one of the KFNP tour operators. It is a flat walk, and I am guessing it would take about 15 minutes to walk to either Major Marine or Kenai Fjords Tours.

Also your description of the five hour cruise suggests to me that these shore excursions are essentially harbor cruises. My feeling is that a longer cruise into Kenai Fjords will give you much greater opportunity to see wildlife. Some of the longer cruises will also give you the option to visit a glacier "up close and personal." My husband and I have already been to Seward this summer, and we did a Major Marine cruise which visited Holgate Glacier which was actively calving.

First point- there is no need to book anything through the cruiseline. I too would never consider any 5 hour boat tour of Kenai Fjords, you need at least 6 hours-on the water. You also are with Kenai Fjords tours- does the other include a salmon bake at Fox Island?

In my opinion, the "winner" tours aren't either of these. the Northwestern fjords trip is superior for wildlife viewing and scenery. Longer always equals more. The longer Major Marine which does both Holgate and Aialik glaciers is excellent as well.

I suggest you look at ALL the tours available, not just the ones that a cruiseline has contracts with.

The Alaska Sealife Center- is NOT what you are describing as a "Sea World" attraction. VERY different. Do you have an interest in seeing it? The backstage tour gets rave reviews, if of interest.

Edited by Budget Queen

I just looked up the Seward tours on Celebrity. You missed a big point, these are BAY tours, sorry, again, nothing I would ever recommend, and that added time, you totally missed, is the transfer from Anchorage. It is all in the details, and knowing what you are reading. The descriptions are vague in my opinion.

I suggest you take a look, direct, at the 2 vendors, Kenai fjords tours, and Major Marine. read the boat tour descriptions, and most important- look at the route maps.

Hopefully that will direct you away from your current tour choices.

Then book your tour direct. The one you want.

Edited by Budget Queen

Apologies that, at least for this cruise, we're coming across as the sort of passengers whom we usually make fun of if, at least for this cruise (Privately, in our cabin) This will be approximately our 30th cruise and we have never, ever taken a cruise line sponsored tour.

Trip was thrown together at the last minute, with our initial booking for northbound cruise, and then many days of driving to Anchorage and exploring Denali. Frankly, that part of the land planning simply got too complicated, especially quickly, with obscenely expensive car rentals, lack of hotel availability near the Denali visitor center and some recognition that we may have gotten too old (and too tired) to be wheeling luggage to car rental places etc.

With only 10 days before leaving NY we only today's decided to simply spend the day in Seward and book a return on the same ship back to Vancouver. With only 10 complicated work stuff to get done, we simply have not spent the kind of time and attention to detail that we usually do when traveling. Hence, the stupid sea world mistake and our lack of understanding of what was involved In the Kenai fjord experience.

Any recommendations between the 7 1/2 vs 8 1/2 hour routings? (Aialik Vs Northwestern fjords). I will also check out more ourselves.

Thanks to both of you for setting us straight. A BIT concerned about the 5:30 return with a ship departur at 8:00, but we'll already have sea card, luggage in room, etc. I assume if weather if problematic both lines still work to get you back at 5:30?

I will NOW do my homework and may then be back with other questions.

Again, thanks

Steve and John

Apologies that, at least for this cruise, we're coming across as the sort of passengers whom we usually make fun of if, at least for this cruise (Privately, in our cabin) This will be approximately our 30th cruise and we have never, ever taken a cruise line sponsored tour.

Trip was thrown together at the last minute, with our initial booking for northbound cruise, and then many days of driving to Anchorage and exploring Denali. Frankly, that part of the land planning simply got too complicated, especially quickly, with obscenely expensive car rentals, lack of hotel availability near the Denali visitor center and some recognition that we may have gotten too old (and too tired) to be wheeling luggage to car rental places etc.

With only 10 days before leaving NY we only today's decided to simply spend the day in Seward and book a return on the same ship back to Vancouver. With only 10 complicated work stuff to get done, we simply have not spent the kind of time and attention to detail that we usually do when traveling. Hence, the stupid sea world mistake and our lack of understanding of what was involved In the Kenai fjord experience.

Any recommendations between the 7 1/2 vs 8 1/2 hour routings? (Aialik Vs Northwestern fjords). I will also check out more ourselves.

Thanks to both of you for setting us straight. A BIT concerned about the 5:30 return with a ship departur at 8:00, but we'll already have sea card, luggage in room, etc. I assume if weather if problematic both lines still work to get you back at 5:30?

Again, thanks

Steve and John

Just did the NW Fjords trip again last week with Kenai Fjords Tours and it was spectacular. Have to admit that it makes for a very long day (over 8 hours) but it was worth it. The glacier was very active and we saw humpback whales and a pod of 11 orca.

These tours work very closely with the cruise lines and will get you back in time. The captain gave a great narration as well. Highly recommended with one exceptions - you do spend about 1/2 hour in open ocean and it can get rocky for some. By all means take precautions one hour before you depart.

I'd also recommend the shorter trips to Aialik/Holgate as well. It's just that you get more with the Northwestern Fjord trip.

Apologies that, at least for this cruise, we're coming across as the sort of passengers whom we usually make fun of if, at least for this cruise ........
Absolutely no apologies needed.

We understand completely as we have all made mistakes of that sort at one time or another.

Just look over the various Kenai Fjords tour routes and be sure to book one that actually gets out of Resurrection Bay and up into the fjords.

There is no need for the slightest concern about that 5:30 return.

Not only do they get you back to Seward in plenty of time before your cruise ship leaves, but in time for passengers to catch the evening train to Anchorage, which leaves much earlier.

If you are at all prone to seasickness, be sure to follow Chenega's excellent advice about taking precautions because you pass through a section outside of Resurrection Bay that is known for being quite bumpy, where many passengers do get queasy.

There is one possibility for disappointment though, of which you should be aware in advance.

If the waters outside the bay happen to be really rough that day, they may shorten the tour and just cruise around inside Resurrection Bay instead of taking you out to the fjords.

That happened to us one time, and we know that it has happened to others.

They do give you a partial refund when that happens, but still it is very disappointing. However, it gives you a good incentive to come back another time and try to do it again.

Of course the people who only book the tours that stay inside Resurrection Bay in the first place probably never even realize how much they are missing.

We did the northbound/southbound back-to-back on the Millennium recently and it was wonderful.

You get almost non-stop scenery from beginning to end on that itinerary, and the Millennium has a great staff and crew that will really pamper you.

Additionally, you get the opportunity to spend some time in the beautiful city of Vancouver before and/or after the cruise.

We were also lucky to have wonderful up-close viewing at Hubbard Glacier both times with lots of calving and the full sound effects. That glacier can put on quite a show.

Hope you enjoy your cruises on the Millennium as much as we enjoyed ours. We were extra lucky to have great weather the entire time, and there were very few children on the ship when we went.

Edited by fleckle

We are doing a B2B next year.Did you get your new seapass card the day before and how early could you leave the ship?I am a little concerned with booking this tour on my own because of their early departures.Thought it would be easier to get off the ship,through customs and on the tour with Celebrity

sSadie-

IIRC passages with only luggage they are carrying (which would be our case since we're on the b2b can leave among the very first on the ship. We are also celebrity elites so get some special treatment. In addition, we have a Global traveler pass which allows us to clear customs and immigration in about 15 minutes even at JFK! We got ours through American Express but if you do much international traveling at all, it's definitely worth the hundred dollar expense and the few hours spent being fingerprinted and giving information for a security background check ((If you know you'll pass it!) :-)

Sadie

Oops! The question. We booked the first leg directly with celebrity and the second through a travel agent(long story) so have had some difficulty in linking the reservations. Celebrity assured us that would be no problem getting Our sea pass for the second leg once we board the ship.

We are doing a B2B next year.Did you get your new seapass card the day before and how early could you leave the ship?I am a little concerned with booking this tour on my own because of their early departures.Thought it would be easier to get off the ship,through customs and on the tour with Celebrity
There is no delay at all getting off the ship in Seward.

You can walk right off as soon as the ship is cleared.

You pre-clear US customs in Vancouver before you board the ship.

After leaving Vancouver, all the ports are US ports on this itinerary.

Sometimes they give out the new seapass cards the day before, and sometimes the day of the turnaround. If you don't get the new card in advance, you will receive it upon your return to the ship in Seward.

It makes no difference either way and there is really no need to link the reservations.

They will have you on the manifest for each cruise, regardless.

(We did not have ours linked, and we had booked the two legs two different ways, one way with a travel agent and the other way directly online ourselves.)

Shortly into the first cruise, they give you a departure form to fill out and return, where you check the box to indicate that you are continuing on for the next cruise.

Then near the end of the first cruise, you receive the information about the turnaround day proceedings. You will be issued a transit pass, which allows you to come and go freely that day without needing to wait in line with the new passengers who are boarding in Seward for the first time.

For the people who are remaining on board in Seward that day, they have them meet as a group and take them off the ship very briefly (to zero down the count) and then right back on.

Regardless of whether you are going off on your own that day or staying on the ship, you "ding" out with your old seapass card and then back in with the new card.

It is all very smooth and easy. No need for any concern.

Edited by fleckle

On 2 other lines, I got my seapass card the night before.

You can easily be off the ship in Seward at 7am.

Again, thanks

Steve and John

I'm an opportunity, Kenai fjords tour person. :) Always going out multiple times, and book based on discounts. As an example- 4 days in a row last year. :) Your 2 tours, are each excellent. I do prefer one vendor over the other, but, both give excellent tours- and I do go with both.

There is no issue with getting back on board. Plenty of time. There are shuttle buses back to the cruise ship, or you can walk.

Sadie

Oops! The question. We booked the first leg directly with celebrity and the second through a travel agent(long story) so have had some difficulty in linking the reservations. Celebrity assured us that would be no problem getting Our sea pass for the second leg once we board the ship.

We are Elite+ with Celebrity, and since we live in Alaska we generally do B2B or B2B2B cruise series. While I don't want to take this forum totally off topic there is variance on Celebrity as how the turnaround day procedures are handled. Factors which seem to influence the turnaround day procedures include the number of B2B passengers, specific customs and immigration regulations and also, I suspect, the preferences of the officer assigned to this task. On B2B2B cruises turnaround day procedures can be different between legs one and two versus legs two and three.

When the disembarkation questionnaires are distributed there is box to check to indicate you are a B2B passenger. New SeaPass cards may be issued the day before turnaround day, at a meeting the morning of turnaround day or even in the cruise terminal from the Pier Coordinator.

We also have done a northbound Vancouver to Seward cruise on the Millennium, and when we were on this itinerary we did our immigration procedures were done in Canada by US Immigration officers in the cruise terminal. Vancouver was the only Canadian port. Once reaching Seward we simply walked off the ship.

Hi everyone,

Slight variation on the OP's questions.

I am coming into Seward by train arriving at 11:15. Our cruise sails in the evening at 8pm. RCCL advised me I must be on the ship 90 minutes before sailing (6:30pm). I am not one to cut it close and certainly don't want to miss the ship.

It looks like the only Resurrection Bay tours leave 11:30-12 and return by 4:30-5:30. Is the Bay my only realistic option? Does this mean I can't make it to the Fjords & make it back in time? 5:30 is about as late as I'd like to push my 'get on the ship' timeline.

Several have mentioned the bay tours aren't worth it compared the Fjords. Is this is the case?

If we skip the boat tour, our backup plan is to shuttle to Exit Glacier and walk/hike around there.

Look forward to your responses.

Edited by Studio472

We are in significantly different situation. Because the departure will be the second half of a back to back cruise, we will already have a seapass and our luggage will be on board (and hopefully even in the new cabin) by the afternoon. And I have also been reassured by a number of frequent cruisers who have taken the fjord tourist before that the captains of the Small boats are aware of the cruise ship timetables and always get you back on time. On the other hand, we too are a bit worried

Edited by Steve007NY

I did find this 6-hour tour going into the Fjords that gets back by 5:30pm, which is a solid hour before the 'get on the ship!' time... It's a bit expensive at $168/person. The 5-hour tour is only $93/person but doesn't leave Resurrection Bay.

https://majormarine.com/tour/6-hour-kenai-fjords-national-park-cruise/

I'm not endorsing these vendors, just looking at options.

I spoke with the folks at Kenai Fjords Tours. They were telling me that the 5:30 return time is strict because the daily outbound train leaves at 6pm and they have to get people back in time for that.

The cruise cut-off is 6:30 so I think it's enough of a buffer. They also have 2 shuttles which go to train & cruise terminal. It's only a 5-minute shuttle.

I think we're going for it!

I spoke with the folks at Kenai Fjords Tours. They were telling me that the 5:30 return time is strict because the daily outbound train leaves at 6pm and they have to get people back in time for that.

The cruise cut-off is 6:30 so I think it's enough of a buffer. They also have 2 shuttles which go to train & cruise terminal. It's only a 5-minute shuttle.

I think we're going for it!

If you notice the departure times of the Kenai Fjords and Prince William Sound day cruises, you;ll see that they're synched with the train and cruiseline schedules. It's intentional.

I've taken the Kenai cruises 3 times during various visits. Twice we were downgraded to the Bay tour due to foul weather and once we actually got out to the glacier. No comparison between the trips !! The glacier trip was awesome ... saw lots of sealife (incl whales) plus mountain goats, bald eagles (and nest), but the highlight was listening to the glacier creak and groan then finally calve.

I thought the Bay tour was boring, but keep in mind that I'm from the Pacific NW so that kind of scenery isn't new to me ... rocky coasts, forests, rock formations. If you're from Kansas maybe it would be new and different but for me .... blah. The Bay trip is also part of the long tour so on all 3 cruises we saw the mountain goats with kids, bald eagles, eagles nest, otters, sealions, lots of birds.

Even on a calm day there's a rough section on the way to the glacier where you enter the Gulf of Alaska. That was short but I almost lost it. Take precautions if you're at all prone to motion sickness. And bundle up at the glacier with hat gloves .... it's cold !