Random Zaandam observations

dheianevans

Returned from 2 wks in Alaska last Monday. Some quick thoughts:

1) Mixed salads have gone the way of the dodo...at least at lunch: Used to be able to choose from a Waldorf, pasta, potato, mixed beans at every lunch. Now there just appears to be a featured mixed salad of the day

2) More cast shows, less dust: Can we please get rid of outdated comedians "You some him on Star Search..." telling 1950s material like "I went to Japan and it took me two weeks to get disoriented"? People seem to enjoy the cast shows, they're already paid and on the ship, and it's not like their performance week even adds up to one full-length Broadway show. They can memorize a bit more. :-)

3) How hard is it to say thank you? 99% of fellow cruisers are amazing. But I'm saddened when a simple smile and thank you can't be extended to the staffer clearing away plates. Even worse then the dead-eyed looks are the people who look away until the staffer leaves..."If I can't see the help, my vacation hasn't been ruined."

On Volendam last week, we had some good salads, but sometimes they could only be found in unexpected places. I like to make myself a "mixed" salad, but then not put any salad dressing on it, in favour of using the dressing on a fishy salad. Sometimes they were not where I expected them to be, like in the sushi bar, or around the corner from the main courses. I learned to hunt them down!:)

We did enjoy our cast shows, the singers and dancers were full of energy, and they have some great new projected special effects!

I also hate to see passengers refuse to look at the staff and not say please or thank you. As someone I overheard said, they forgot to pack their manners!:D