Thinking of Trying HAL

Helo1

We are thinking of taking a HAL cruise to Alaska and have a couple of questions.

1. On the first night of the cruise some cruise lines allow people to eat in the specialty restaurants at no cost, does HAL?

2. We've order NY Strip steak on evening meals if the menu selection is limited on Celebrity, does HAL allow this?

3. Silly question, but does the buffet have like foods as the Dining Room on formal nights?

I have another question but I'm getting older and forgot....oh well, it'll come to me..maybe.

HAL does not let you eat in any specialty restaurant on the first night for free.

On the main dining room menu under "always available every evening" there is a steak offering -- I don't remember what kind of steak it is.

The Lido dinner buffet offers nearly all the same items as the main dining room every night. Only item you may not see is lobster tails.

In response to question #3. Another option available on HAL if you want to have the meal served on formal nights but not visit the MDR is to order the meal through room service. You can order directly from the MDR menu and have it delivered to your room, and, you can order how ever many orders that you want.

We are thinking of taking a HAL cruise to Alaska and have a couple of questions.

1. On the first night of the cruise some cruise lines allow people to eat in the specialty restaurants at no cost, does HAL?

No

2. We've order NY Strip steak on evening meals if the menu selection is limited on Celebrity, does HAL allow this?

Yes. There are 'always available' items on HAL MDR dinner menus. Those items include steak, chicken breast, onion soup, Caesar salad and grilled salmon.... probably a few things I've forgotten.

3. Silly question, but does the buffet have like foods as the Dining Room on formal nights?

Yes. In addition to many (not all) MDR dinner menu items being available in Lido Buffet, HAL also permits guests in all category cabins to order Room Service dinner delivered to their cabin. If that interests you, we'll explain how that works. There is no additional charge for this though most of us would tip.

I have another question but I'm getting older and forgot....oh well, it'll come to me..maybe.

My answers in bold.

Edited by sail7seas

I would say 90% of the MDR menu is in the buffet. Thus you can hit the MDR and reload in the buffet for round two.

Which cruise lines allow free specialty restaurants on the first night?

On some cruises I've seen they do have the same menu in both the Main Dining Room and the Lido, but on my last cruise in January, I found the Lido dinner menu to be quite different than the Main Dining Room menu. I did not eat dinner in the Lido on that cruise, but reading the menu would make one think they were serving completely different dinners on the same night. I thought it was a great thing, because sometimes I do not like any of the choices in the Main Dining Room and thought having different options in the Lido was a great idea. But like I said, I ate all my meals in the Main Dining Room so I do not know firsthand if the meals were actually different or they were just different on the printed menus.