Seasoned Carnival Cruiser needing advice on other lines

earthdog

So my Fiancee and I 46/51 are in desperate need of a cruise in July or August. She has been a bit spoiled with the VIP and benefits of being on the boat at 11:00 that Carnival offers. So I need some idea's. We generally don't like to cruise with lots of kids so we have typically avoided the summer and we love the big ships with quiet spots for adults with a pool and adult activities on the boat. We also live in GA so the Caribbean is another preference. Also we love the days at sea. We love the premium restaurants etc...

I'm sure I left something out but the primary other than cost is more adults and less strollers and teenagers.

Of course if I had may main wish AWESOME Internet access but I guess I'll never get that...

I need suggestions opinions and I know there are plenty of those around here. :D

TIA Jeff

Edited by earthdog

I think all the main cruise lines will have a lot of kids at that time of year.

You may wish to consider a longer cruise, 10 days or more, usually less kids.

Love the quiet of the adults only solarium on Royal Caribbean ships, but you will find a lot of kids elsewhere on 7 day cruises, especially in the summer.

Was going to suggest a smaller, probably more expensive, less family oriented line, but noted that you like "the big ships."

Perhaps Celebrity, owned by RC, or have heard Holland America caters to an older crowd.

First -- there are very ships that sail the Caribbean in July and August. Most have gone to Europe, Alaska, Canada/New England.

HAL doesn't even have any ships in the Caribbean from April until middle of October.

Those ships left in the Caribbean will have a lot of children on board.

IMO, you should consider the NCL Getaway or Breakaway or Epic and if at all possible, select a The Haven Penthouse or Spa Suite or above. The Haven will give you the peace you want as will the Spa. The Haven Spa Suite grants you access to the spa while with the other suites you would have to go to the spa immediately upon boarding to buy a spa pass. No one under 18 is permitted in the spa. NCL has lots of specialty restaurants onboard - we love Le Bistro, Cagney's, Moderno, Raw Bar and sushi bar on this ship as well as Ocean Blue. These cost a bit extra but are worth it - do book restaurant reservations online prior to your cruise on this ship. Some kids sometimes are brought to these restaurants by their parents, but mostly not. The Haven Restaurant for breakfast and lunch will shield you from the majority of kids on board as will The Haven. The kids usually go to Teppanyaki. Also book your shows in advance.

You might also consider Azamara Club cruises.

In general, you will find fewer kids on cruises of 8+ nights and fewer kids on cruises in the Med. So do consider broadening your cruising and heading to Europe this summer. It's a wonderful experience!

If your budget will handle it, your best bet is one of the luxury lines. They have few children.

Another option is a longer cruise. If you can find one 14 days or longer, that is not also sold in shorter segments, you will avoid kids.

Thats interesting I never have thought about Bermuda. How is the temperature like cruising there and back? We love the outside and tan time.

It's not the Caribbean, but I suggest Bermuda. Celebrity Summit from Cape Liberty, NJ would be a nice change. You're not escaping the Atlanta summer by going to the Caribbean. EM

Thats interesting I never have thought about Bermuda. How is the temperature like cruising there and back? We love the outside and tan time.

It's not the Caribbean, but I suggest Bermuda. Celebrity Summit from Cape Liberty, NJ would be a nice change. You're not escaping the Atlanta summer by going to the Caribbean. EM

Agree with the idea of Bermuda - we sailed from Baltimore and had a great time. Sea days were wonderful and having 2.5 days in Bermuda allowed us time to play 2 rounds of golf as well as hit the beach. The island is lovely, laid back and felt less humid than the Caribbean.

Bermuda is my new favorite place....it is hot and sunny but not as sultry as the south....gorgeous pink sand beaches easily accessible by bus....using the ship as a hotel is a novelty....staying 2 or 3 nights gives you a chance to do things in the dark...some nightlife ....really like not having to watch the time for a couple if days....bermuda is very beautiful . ...and expensive....seeing it by ship has it all....wish I was on my way there right now!!....we took ncl from boston as it is our home port...I would prefer the summit....lovely solarium area for adults....not as many kids as the bells and whistles are fewer.....

Guest maddycat
Bermuda is my new favorite place....it is hot and sunny but not as sultry as the south....gorgeous pink sand beaches easily accessible by bus....using the ship as a hotel is a novelty....staying 2 or 3 nights gives you a chance to do things in the dark...some nightlife ....really like not having to watch the time for a couple if days....bermuda is very beautiful . ...and expensive....seeing it by ship has it all....wish I was on my way there right now!!....we took ncl from boston as it is our home port...I would prefer the summit....lovely solarium area for adults....not as many kids as the bells and whistles are fewer.....

Celebrity is offering some excellent deals right now. The link to their website is below.

http://www.celebrity.com/home.do