Cruise on September to Caribbean?

Wivian

Hello folks. Newbie here.

My husband and I have a 10th anniversary next year. We are planning a cruise on September 2016 to somewhere in Caribbean, not yet booked one. We know it's the middle of the hurricane season, but I have a job that I can't get off on January - May, and summer would be way too hot somewhere out there :)

We also want to visit New York. We live in Finland, so it would be "once in a life time" experience. We thought that New York would be great on September.

But. Here is my question:

Please, let me know, why is September a good or why is it a bad month to cruise. Thank you :)

Good -- water is still very warm and cruises tend to be cheaper. We often cruise in Sept and have never hit a hurricane.

Bad -- highest percentage for hurricane is the first half of September. But what I hate most is that there are often jellyfish in the Caribbean and the Fla coast in September.

My choice. October if you can. Prices will be good, water warm, and no jellyfish in the waters. Still run the risk of hurricanes but most cruise ships can outrun a hurricane. Your ports might be different if it has to.

Hello folks. Newbie here.

My husband and I have a 10th anniversary next year. We are planning a cruise on September 2016 to somewhere in Caribbean, not yet booked one. We know it's the middle of the hurricane season, but I have a job that I can't get off on January - May, and summer would be way too hot somewhere out there :)

We also want to visit New York. We live in Finland, so it would be "once in a life time" experience. We thought that New York would be great on September.

But. Here is my question:

Please, let me know, why is September a good or why is it a bad month to cruise. Thank you :)

Do you want to cruise out of NYC or just fly up there after a Caribbean cruise? Several lines sail out of NYC, but most are doing fall foliage tours up the New England coast in Sept/Oct. Now, NE in the fall is pretty spectacular, so you might want to consider that!

Do you want to cruise out of NYC or just fly up there after a Caribbean cruise? Several lines sail out of NYC, but most are doing fall foliage tours up the New England coast in Sept/Oct. Now, NE in the fall is pretty spectacular, so you might want to consider that!

We thought we would cruise from Florida and visit New York before or after the cruise.

Good -- water is still very warm and cruises tend to be cheaper. We often cruise in Sept and have never hit a hurricane.

Bad -- highest percentage for hurricane is the first half of September. But what I hate most is that there are often jellyfish in the Caribbean and the Fla coast in September.

My choice. October if you can. Prices will be good, water warm, and no jellyfish in the waters. Still run the risk of hurricanes but most cruise ships can outrun a hurricane. Your ports might be different if it has to.

Thank you, it was quick :) We'll take October to concider.

What is Fla coast? :)

At the end of next October the Regal Princess is doing a 10 day repositioning cruise from NY to Fort Lauderdale. We did this cruise last Oct on the Royal Princess. it was wonderful. You could do NY first, cruise, and fly home from FLL. :) Princess offer's a fine product and the Royal and Regal are stunning ships. There will also not be many children onboard.

Edited by janetz

In my opinion, any month is a good month for a cruise, and we have cruised in almost all of the months, I think. Have been to the Caribbean many times on cruise ships and for land vacations. September is a nice month so if that works for you, please go ahead and book your cruise.

As for hurricanes, no Captain on any cruise ship will put his ship, his crew, and his passengers at risk in any way. If (BIG if!) there is a hurricane or storm churning out there somewhere and it may impact your cruise, alternate plans will be made. Your itinerary may be changed if there is any immediate danger, but with modern technology, they can see storms and track them well before they need to make decisions about them. You will NEVER sail into a hurricane or need to outrun one. Please don't worry about that.

Early Happy Anniversary and have fun planning. :D

[

What is Fla coast? :)

The east coast waters of the USA, especially along the east coast of Florida.

What others say about cruising during hurricanes is true- the ship will go somewhere else to be safe. However you can still get a storm and lots of rain on any cruise any time of the year.

Another good thing about September. Schools will be open so there will be fewer children on board. That may also influence prices to be lower once school starts.

September is hot, humid & miserable in Florida - and of course everywhere south of FL (the Caribbean). I can't think of a worse time to cruise the caribbean, although June, July & August would be the same.

If you love heat & humidity it might be a great choice for you (some people actually DO like that). Otherwise, I try to delay the anniversary cruise until early December. Crowds will be just as low or lower than September, and the weather MUCH more comfortable.

Sue/WDW1972

Personally, I would look at November through the first two weeks of December. Sept and October cruises are prime for tropical storms or hurricanes. The weather in Nov and Dec is about as perfect as you can get. Not too hot and the rainy season hasn't started in the Caribbean.

The weather in the CARIBBEAN is pretty much the same year round. If you're going to Bermuda or the Bahamas, they are NOT in the Caribbean, and will be much cooler in the late fall/winter than you might like.

Just because it's "hurricane season" doesn't mean the weather and seas won't be nice and lovely! It simply means that a hurricane or tropical storm COULD form...not that it will!!