music on my balcony

jiggs

I do like the suggestion that if you see your cabin neighbors out on their balcony next to you, just let them know they should feel comfortable telling you to keep it down if you're being too loud.

But why should we be forced to be the "cruise ship police" when these people are breaking Carnival's rules?

Many people prefer to avoid confrontations, especially on vacations when all they want to do is relax in peace.

You do not know what kind of temperament that person has or how drunk they might be and what sort of revenge that will result from you telling them their music is too loud.

It is not unusual in many cities for people to get shot in disputes over others music.

But why should we be forced to be the "cruise ship police" when these people are breaking Carnival's rules?

Many people prefer to avoid confrontations, especially on vacations when all they want to do is relax in peace.

You do not know what kind of temperament that person has or how drunk they might be and what sort of revenge that will result from you telling them their music is too loud.

It is not unusual in many cities for people to get shot in disputes over others music.

You aren't breaking the rules by listening to music on your private balcony. The balcony of your cabin is not a public space.

No where in the rules does it state that you are allowed to listen to music on your balcony.

The rules do state that you must use earbuds in areas where other people may hear it if you can comprehend the rules.

Though they do not use this exact terminology in order to keep the rules brief, one can determine that this is what they mean.

No where in the rules does it state that you are allowed to listen to music on your balcony.

The rules do state that you must use earbuds in areas where other people may hear it if you can comprehend the rules.

Though they do not use this exact terminology in order to keep the rules brief, one can determine that this is what they mean.

One day they will have to list you can't wear just underwear around the ship, cause right now it doesn't say such, so some would argue you could do that.

I can comprehend rules just fine. Your balcony is not a public space. By public spaces I assume they mean the Lido deck, the dining room, etc.

If they meant balconies they would say balconies...sort of like they did with smoking.

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it against the rules.

Balconies ARE public spaces to the extent that what is going on on a balcony can be seen and/or heard by others. People have the right to enjoy their balconies, but that doesn't include doing things that might interfere with others' enjoyment of THEIR balconies.

I'm not saying anyone should be able to blast their music on the balcony. I listen to a small Bluetooth speaker at a very low volume. Lower than most people talk. If they are allowed to talk on their balcony I should be able to listen to music at a low volume. It's not against the rules.

Why not blast the music? Why worry about the volume level at all? I mean, your balcony is not a public area, so then it must be private, and you can do as you wish

Because then I would be a jerk. I don't want to ruin anyone else's vacation.

A tape player? An MP3 player? It's 2015, right?

And yes my balcony is not a public area.

The reason smoking was banned on balconies was because the smoke could escape your balcony and interfere with your neighbours enjoyment of their balcony and also their health.

Same with music if it can be stopped at the end of your balcony and no sound can be heard either next to or above and below no problem but if it can be heard outside your balcony then you can't play it as it will interfere with you neighbours enjoyment of their private space...

I think my iPod plays MP3's....and it's 2015...

It's been a few years since I've heard the words "MP3 player". I loved my iPods back in the day but no need for those with my iPhone thing.

"Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas".

You already quoted that from Carnival. How does that work in a non public place like a balcony?

Keep dreaming. Rules that are kept brief just lead to different interpretations.

The reason smoking was banned on balconies was because the smoke could escape your balcony and interfere with your neighbours enjoyment of their balcony and also their health.

Same with music if it can be stopped at the end of your balcony and no sound can be heard either next to or above and below no problem but if it can be heard outside your balcony then you can't play it as it will interfere with you neighbours enjoyment of their private space...

Second hand music does not kill others. People talk much louder and doors are slammed much louder than any music I've played on most of my 19 cruises. What's the differences?

Second hand music does not kill others. People talk much louder and doors are slammed much louder than any music I've played on most of my 19 cruises. What's the differences?

There isn't any difference. That's why it's not against the rules to listen to music at a reasonable level - no matter how much some people want to insist otherwise.

How about you just act like an adult rather than have others do it for you? In my scenario, he is going to ask you to let him know if it bothers you. Are you so meek that you can't say, "why yes, thanks for asking, it would bother me in fact"? And if you honestly think you're going to get shot on a cruise ship for asking something to turn down/off their music, I hate to think what terrified world you live in.

Edited by RickinNYC

I personally don't want to hear Music from the next door Balcony. If I am on my Balcony during a sea day .... i'm there to get away from Noise. To read my book or to just try to unwind to have Peace & Quiet and relax. Isn't that the point of having your Personal balcony ?

I would not have music on my Balcony that others would hear. If I want to listen to music I would use my headphones and be considerate of my fellow passengers and respect their space on the balcony.

Edited by flc

I'm not saying anyone should be able to blast their music on the balcony. I listen to a small Bluetooth speaker at a very low volume. Lower than most people talk. If they are allowed to talk on their balcony I should be able to listen to music at a low volume. It's not against the rules.

Your reasoning is flawed. It is OK to talk in public areas but music without earbuds is still banned. This does not mean that since people can talk in certain areas that it is ok to play music in them.

How about you just act like an adult rather than have others do it for you? In my scenario, he is going to ask you to let him know if it bothers you. Are you so meek that you can't say, "why yes, thanks for asking, it would bother me in fact"? And if you honestly think you're going to get shot on a cruise ship for asking something to turn down/off their music, I hate to think what terrified world you live in.

I'm on a cruise to enjoy myself with my family. When I want to fight I go to the gym where I can duke it out with someone under controlled conditions and without upsetting my family.

Why do you insist on playing music on your balcony when you can see the vast majority of people do not want to hear your music? Are you that rude?

I realize it doesn't take much to ask the neighbors on either side of your cabin, but what about the neighbors above and below? I realize the OP is hoping for a resounding yes, play away, but truthfully the correct thing is to use headphones. Most people seem to enjoy the sounds of the ocean on their balcony. If I want music I will go to the lido deck.

Your reasoning is flawed. It is OK to talk in public areas but music without earbuds is still banned. This does not mean that since people can talk in certain areas that it is ok to play music in them.

Music on your balcony is not banned no matter how hard you to try to say it is. It's not.