music on my balcony

jiggs

And the cabins above and below the music? Sounds carry in all directions. I can listen to Dark Star by the Dead in the 25 or so recorded versions that were saved, but who else would?

I would. But if I heard someone on the next balcony playing music I dislike, they would get Deep Purple's Child in Time on continuous loop until they stopped.

We prefer quite on our belcony. I enjoy reading and listening to the water not a neighbor's music. I think it is rude for someone else to play music on there belcony. Use headphones.

Do you talk on your balcony or do you sit in absolute silence? Why is talking any less rude than listening to music at a low volume?

Music should be played with earbuds. I like the sound of the ocean and keep the door open often. I don't want to hear my neighbors music. I never have before, and would not do it myself. We use our earbuds if we are laying out at port.

I don't have a huge problem with really low music from time to time but your idea of low and mine may be different. I can say our neighbors on the last cruise, our first with a balcony, would put their music on not horribly loud but loud enough that it felt like I was the one playing it......and then they would proceed to go in and out of their cabin and leave it playing. I like to listen to the breeze and the water. I also spend a lot of my time reading on my balcony. With four kids, I can tune out a low noise but I was glad our family had another balcony (2cabins..other on the other side of ship) cause they were very annoying. As long as you are polite and either turn it down low, low or say something to your neighbors if they do come out...ask if it's too loud, then go for it...just turn it off if you aren't on the balcony, even if just for a few minutes.

I'm not out to 'ruin' anyone's vacation...but I'm not here to accommodate the wishes everyone else to make sure they're the ones having a good time while everyone is on eggshells around them.

So, you didn't want opposing opinions, only justification for what you wanted to do anyway. Why bother?

...and then they would proceed to go in and out of their cabin and leave it playing. ....

I think this is why music seems more of a problem to balcony neighbors than conversation. It can go on for hours, never stopping. Overheard conversation is generally not like that.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app

On our Easter cruise one guy had his bose Bluetooth speaker on deck it was competing with the music round the pool and drove me crazy. Ended up having to move as it was too difficult to read with competing sounds. He refused to turn it off or down when asked. No issue with a bit of music on a balcony

Would it be considered rude to my neighbors next door, above, and below to have my music on my balcony. I'm pretty sure that there is no volume that I could set it at that some noise wouldn't escape my space.

Ask them! :) Invite them over for a drink!

On your on private balcony, I say go for it! I plan to. Now of course if my neighbors or a staff member says something to me then id turn it down more or even off. But during daytime hours I have no problem with it as long as its at a reasonable volume.

The answer to your question is right here in Carnival's rules and regulations, "Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas" and here "however, if a noise complaint is received, the instrument will be confiscated by shipboard security and returned to the guest on the morning of debarkation.".

Now I know some people for music on their balcony will argue semantics and say a tape player or an MP3 player is not a radio and they also will try to say a balcony is not a public area even though someone's ears on another balcony may be 1 foot from your speaker but this is just arguing for arguments sake.

Carnival would have to write a rule about 10 pages long to satisfy everyone who is going to try to argue semantics and then you would have to get a lawyer to interpret it for you.

Some people believe it is ok to break the rules and regulations if they see fit to do so and will come on this forum to try to get others to agree with them that breaking the rules is ok or to try to make excuses that the rules don't apply to them for whatever reason.

A little respect goes a long way, no one likes noisy neighbors.

leaving in a few days for another trip south to San Juan for a cruise on the Liberty. While packing I grabbed my bluetooth speaker that now goes with me a lot of places when I travel...I have no concerns with using it in the cabin as it would never be louder than my TV, but my question concerns my balcony.

Would it be considered rude to my neighbors next door, above, and below to have my music on my balcony. I'm pretty sure that there is no volume that I could set it at that some noise wouldn't escape my space. We're in a grand suite, so I do have more real estate between me and the next cabin.

It would be low key stuff, nothing offensive or anything like that.

So, say at sail away while I'm having a cocktail on the balcony waiting to get ready for dinner watching the island disappear into the distance, I have my bluetooth speaker on driven from my cellphone - at a volume my neighbors may know it is on, but probably can't identify the music...

-Am I 'that guy' - will I be made an example of on John Heald's FB page when someone responds 'I got a GS and the jack@ss next door played too much Jack Johnson'.

-Is it okay, kept no louder than voices would be anyway.

-Just leave it inside and enjoy your noise in there if you must.

I know there are no shortage of opinions around here and that is why I am asking, so sound off!

So, to sum it up...even as you asked if it would be rude and many say yes, this was a announcement not an actual inquiry?

Personally, I do not want to hear someone else's music. Even if it is music I like. I'm not always in the mood to listen to it. I like to read and relax listening to the ocean, not music. I go to the lido deck when I want music.

However, if it is actually low enough so a neighboring balcony couldn't hear it then obviously it wouldn't be a problem.

Do you talk on your balcony or do you sit in absolute silence? Why is talking any less rude than listening to music at a low volume?

Neighbors talking on their balcony and doors slamming have always been much louder than any music I've played or heard nearby.

The answer to your question is right here in Carnival's rules and regulations, "Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas" and here "however, if a noise complaint is received, the instrument will be confiscated by shipboard security and returned to the guest on the morning of debarkation.".

Now I know some people for music on their balcony will argue semantics and say a tape player or an MP3 player is not a radio and they also will try to say a balcony is not a public area even though someone's ears on another balcony may be 1 foot from your speaker but this is just arguing for arguments sake.

Carnival would have to write a rule about 10 pages long to satisfy everyone who is going to try to argue semantics and then you would have to get a lawyer to interpret it for you.

Some people believe it is ok to break the rules and regulations if they see fit to do so and will come on this forum to try to get others to agree with them that breaking the rules is ok or to try to make excuses that the rules don't apply to them for whatever reason.

A little respect goes a long way, no one likes noisy neighbors.

A tape player? An MP3 player? It's 2015, right?

And yes my balcony is not a public area.

So, to sum it up...even as you asked if it would be rude and many say yes, this was a announcement not an actual inquiry?

Yeah, it went from Mr. Considerate's "I won't do it if it will bother people" to "if you don't like it...deal with it" once he became pissed-off that someone had copy and pasted his question to another board, and he became unhappy that some here misunderstood exactly how he was going to *play* his music.

But he's in a Grand Suite with a bigger balcony, so that extra real estate will act like an "ear cushion" and the sound won't carry as far. :rolleyes:

Besides, he's planning on checking it out by walking to the balcony divider and giving it a good listen; if it doesn't sound too loud there, its a sure thing it won't be annoying to his neighbors on either side...above or below.

And it's just like neighbors 'having a conversation' on their balcony anyway....you know...a very long continuous conversation, with a guitar; but certainly it will be an *acoustic* guitar. :rolleyes::D

Yeah, it went from Mr. Considerate's "I won't do it if it will bother people" to "if you don't like it...deal with it" once he became pissed-off that someone had copy and pasted his question to another board, and he became unhappy that some here misunderstood exactly how he was going to *play* his music.

But he's in a Grand Suite with a bigger balcony, so that extra real estate will act like an "ear cushion" and the sound won't carry as far. :rolleyes:

Besides, he's planning on checking it out by walking to the balcony divider and giving it a good listen; if it doesn't sound too loud there, its a sure thing it won't be annoying to his neighbors on either side...above or below.

And it's just like neighbors 'having a conversation' on their balcony anyway....you know...a very long continuous conversation, with a guitar; but certainly it will be an *acoustic* guitar. :rolleyes::D

He actually sounds like one of those types that think his choice of music most certain MUST be enjoyed by others, and wants to "share". Only problem is, we don't.

But yes, all he needs is one complaint, and even he won't be able to enjoy his own music.

On my honeymoon cruise, and my first balcony, the lady next door to us brought her CD player on the balcony and sang along like she was Whitney Houston. Somebody must have complained because it stopped after three torturous days.

It's worse if they have their headphones on, where they are singing and you can only hear them, and they sing as good as Edith Bunker.

Edited by SeeBurd

So, who is 'Bobbie' that took my question to Heald already? You copied it nearly word-for-word from this thread. Were you hoping he was going to say 'we would discourage this from happening'...? Well, he didn't.

Maybe you'll be my neighbor next week as you apparently are also on the Liberty in a grand suite...

just when you think you've seen it all on this website, people continue to amaze me.

I wish I could say this would amaze or surprise me, but it doesn't Whoever it is that did that is clearly just another Gladys Kravitz. Put them out of your mind; they're not worth the effort.

In answer to your question, I'm one of those that really does love quiet. As much as I may enjoy music, if given the opportunity, I'd rather hear the waves or just the wind. I think it has to do with living in NYC and being constantly bombarded by sound day in and day out. Be that as it may, I also know I'm not the only human being on the planet, let alone the ship, and a few tunes quietly playing on the next balcony wouldn't bother me. I say enjoy, BUT, be aware that not everyone else will like your music selections.

I do like the suggestion that if you see your cabin neighbors out on their balcony next to you, just let them know they should feel comfortable telling you to keep it down if you're being too loud.

And yes my balcony is not a public area.

"Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas"

Anyone with comprehension of written rules, like Carnival's rule, above, would understand that it means not to play music that others can hear, whether on a balcony, deck, lounge or anywhere else on the ship. But we will hear excuses or people playing on semantics forever on this subject.