music on my balcony

jiggs

As others have said, since I asked, I had some concern but didn't expect to be told to wear headphones all the time. If that is the case, I would prefer my neighbors to use sign language to communicate or pass notes to one another. I would argue many people, which probably includes several on this site have no idea how loud your private chats are on your balcony.

Thanks for all the feedback, sailing in two days, it will be fun with or without the company of my music.

Good Point. :cool:

I suggest packing a pair of earbuds or headphones if you are going to play your music on the balcony, and use them.

We have sailed many times, all with balcony neighbors. Some talk loudly, (heard a few arguments), others slam doors, others have snored, and a few have play music on the balcony (either by propping open the door and blaring it outward or having a smaller device, like you describe.) Some leave their light on all night. I have had noisy neighbors beside me, above me, or below me. It doesn't happen on every cruise, but its always a disappointment that folks are not considerate to their neighbors.

I don't mind the neighbors, but I do mind the disturbance of the peace and quiet. I go on the balcony to enjoy the sounds of the ship slicing through the waves, the crashing of the water on the ship, etc. I go out there to get away from the crowds and the day to day noise of life.

I would respectfully request that if you have to listen to music, use the earbuds. I have used my ipod on the balcony occassionally but always with ear buds. I would never assume that my neighbor would appreciate my music.

Thank you!

As for if my balcony is 'public or private space' I'm pretty sure that should not be a hard one to argue. I don't expect other people to use my balcony, so I'm going with private on that one. Hence the headphone rule does not apply.

I hope you have an enjoyable cruise and you and your neighbors get along well. However, music or talking that is audible from other balconies may impede on others' privacy. Therefore the balcony is not strictly private and the headphone rule may apply.

I'm of a mixed opinion on this as well. As others have said, I personally wouldn't mind on port days (and even during the day while at sea...as long as its kept at a low volume and is not on all the time). But in the evening at sea when most people are trying to unwind and relax on their balconies, I'd rather listen to the ocean. Of course the occasional conversation can be overheard, but that's not the same as the constant sound of someone's music (and I love almost all genres- - everything except opera, hard rock and hard rap) and have one of those bluetooth things you're referring. I guess we've been fortunate thus far as we've never had a problem with any of our past neighbors. Great thread...thanks for starting, its interesting to see the varying opinions and reason for them.

Offensive isn't really subjective. Offensive music contains lyrics that could offend someone. In example: curse words, racial issues, sex, etc.

Your son may prefer rap music, and you may prefer 70s rock, however, listening to a "clean" rap song(which doesn't really exsist) would not offend you.

There is a great amount of rap songs that are clean. Kool Moe Dee and DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince are two big artists that don't cuss and portray rap in a positive light.

Even Tupac and Dr Dre had songs like California Love that is cleaner than most country songs.

This is really simple.

Introduce yourself to your neighbor's on both sides. Tell them to let you know if they can hear your music when they are out there, and you will be happy to turn it down until they can't hear it any longer (assuming it bothers them).

No ruffled feathers.

Personally, I don't want even want to hear my wife's music.

This is really simple.

Introduce yourself to your neighbor's on both sides. Tell them to let you know if they can hear your music when they are out there, and you will be happy to turn it down until they can't hear it any longer (assuming it bothers them).

No ruffled feathers.

Personally, I don't want even want to hear my wife's music.

And the cabins above and below the music? Sounds carry in all directions. I can listen to Dark Star by the Dead in the 25 or so recorded versions that were saved, but who else would?

Edited by evandbob

Seriously? To all the people up in arms at the thought of some quiet music on the balcony - do you get upset when a neighbor is talking on their balcony?.

If they're talking too loud, yes. If their blasting their tunes when I'm trying to relax with my thoughts in nature, yes.

And just because you're my neighbor on a cruise, it doesn't mean we're best friends and you can do whatever you want.

As Rush says, "I can't pretend this stranger, is a long awaited friend"

I respect other's personal space and understand not wanting to hear my music. We also paid a lot of the space and do spend more time than many in our cabin and want to use the space. I'll set it up in the middle of the balcony and travel to each end and see what the experience is.

I'll see how it works out. If the sound travels off the steel and windows more than I predict I'll just keep it in the room. They're going to hear us eating breakfast out there and a six year old playing with his cars and planes out there as well.

I give you a thumbs up for your comments. You sound very considerate.

We just sailed Liberty June 14th for 30th Aniversary and DH brought his Bose bluetooth portable speaker. He played it on low in room just before dinner(less than tv) and came inside with it when a neighbor came out on balcony. We were also in a suite so had larger balcony.

Sorry off topic here but... Any questions prior to cruise?

I have all menu photos,funtimes-just not scanned yet. This was our fifth time doing this itinerary. In case wondering Weakest menus in our opinion in order- Sat Last day,then Mon then Sunday boarding day. All food was very good- only exception the stuffed mushroom appetizer- they changed recipe from cheese/breadcrumb stuffed to what was supposed to be spinach but was broccoli crumbs--we both pushed it to edge of table to "take away"

My favorite entree was suprisingly Lamb shank with mint jelly on side--not gamey,more like a fall off the bone stewed chicken.

Also I dislike spicy items and fell in love with the watermelon/jicama salad option at Blue Iguana toppings bar. It was perfect on the shrimp tacos.

(Say hi for me to Iwayan at Blue Iguana from "the rookie lady -who got faster ordering and tipped him at end of week.)

You mentioned your son--I think it was Wed Barbados night Christpher Alan Graves does a Sammy Davis/Frank SInatra tribute.He does candy man and invites all the kids in audience up for song, and a small token of candy. Great photo op -make sure sit on floor level near front,or side front to get him up to stage quickly. ALan does the song fairly early in show if want only stay for that part. It was a very good show.

I am plannig a review, but have not scanned anything or uploaded photos yet.

I always book balconies and have never had to worry about my neighbors on any cruise...probably because I just tune out the stuff that isn't about me.

I don't understand this obsession from some people that balconies are "private". You can hear tons of stuff from your balcony...music from the lido, yelling and laughter from the promenade deck, interesting discussions from your neighbors, doors slamming, music playing. Its all part of being on a ship with some 4000 souls. You are not on a private beach somewhere, you are several feet away from the rest of the world.

It is probably respectful of others to keep their conversations low and their music low...but a moving ship with wind and ocean often makes it hard to hear soft voices.

This is what cracks me up. At sail away, I have never had a quiet balcony. On sea days you can often hear the Lido music.

Listen to your music quietly. If it bugs someone, hopefully they'll have the common sense to just politely ask you to turn it down.

leaving in a few days for another trip south to San Juan for a cruise on the Liberty. While packing I grabbed my bluetooth speaker that now goes with me a lot of places when I travel...I have no concerns with using it in the cabin as it would never be louder than my TV, but my question concerns my balcony.

Would it be considered rude to my neighbors next door, above, and below to have my music on my balcony. I'm pretty sure that there is no volume that I could set it at that some noise wouldn't escape my space. We're in a grand suite, so I do have more real estate between me and the next cabin.

It would be low key stuff, nothing offensive or anything like that.

So, say at sail away while I'm having a cocktail on the balcony waiting to get ready for dinner watching the island disappear into the distance, I have my bluetooth speaker on driven from my cellphone - at a volume my neighbors may know it is on, but probably can't identify the music...

-Am I 'that guy' - will I be made an example of on John Heald's FB page when someone responds 'I got a GS and the jack@ss next door played too much Jack Johnson'.

-Is it okay, kept no louder than voices would be anyway.

-Just leave it inside and enjoy your noise in there if you must.

I know there are no shortage of opinions around here and that is why I am asking, so sound off!

I had to Google Jack Johnson to see if what you are planning to play would be considered offensive to some.

I rather liked it, my husband however found him to be annoying. Said the harmonica was grating.

With that said I don't think it's a good idea to play that music. Even if it isn't full of swear words or violence doesn't mean it won't offend someone.

leaving in a few days for another trip south to San Juan for a cruise on the Liberty. While packing I grabbed my bluetooth speaker that now goes with me a lot of places when I travel...I have no concerns with using it in the cabin as it would never be louder than my TV, but my question concerns my balcony.

Would it be considered rude to my neighbors next door, above, and below to have my music on my balcony. I'm pretty sure that there is no volume that I could set it at that some noise wouldn't escape my space. We're in a grand suite, so I do have more real estate between me and the next cabin.

So, say at sail away while I'm having a cocktail on the balcony waiting to get ready for dinner watching the island disappear into the distance, I have my bluetooth speaker on driven from my cellphone - at a volume my neighbors may know it is on, but probably can't identify the music...

-Am I 'that guy' - will I be made an example of on John Heald's FB page when someone responds 'I got a GS and the jack@ss next door played too much Jack Johnson'.

I know there are no shortage of opinions around here and that is why I am asking, so sound off!

I can only speak for myself but this does not sound like something that would upset me.

I always have a curiosity of why so many people need music and electronics everywhere they go. Why not just listen to the sounds of the ocean, and enjoy it. Cruises were designed to disconnect from the world.

So do we need to leave home without our Kindles, Magazines, Paper backs, latest best seller. Do we unplug the in-room TV? What about avoiding the shows...and I guess the outdoor movie is a total no-no. Guess we need to ask the live entertainment to hush so we can hear the ocean.

I am being totally facetious....but many, many people enjoy being stimulated even when they are relaxing. Some people relax when they are surrounded by other people, talking and visiting are fun for many.

I'm in the corner that says people should be able to enjoy their balconies that they paid lots of bucks for. If someone becomes obnoxious or overly loud than just speak-up in a non-confrontational mode. Besides, after numerous cruises I have yet to be on the exact same schedule as my balcony neighbors...in fact I am always amazed that I rarely run into them.

Headphones.

All you need is one complaint and you will lose your music device.

And just like you most likely would not like the musical choices of those in control of the what's playing, we are not interested in what you are playing.

Besides, out in the balcony, most likely even you would have a hard time heating what's playing, prompting you to turn your device louder.

Headphones.

And just like you most likely would not like the musical choices of those in control of the what's playing, we are not interested in what you are playing.

Besides, out in the balcony, most likely even you would have a hard time heating what's playing, prompting you to turn your device louder.

I would hope that it would take more than one complaint for them to confiscate personal property.

Headphones.

From Carnival: Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas.

So you consider balconies to be public areas?

As Rush says, "I can't pretend this stranger, is a long awaited friend"

Not mention that, "One must put up barriers to keep oneself intact."

To the OP I say bring your speaker thingy...if it becomes an issue, slap on a set of ear buds. Problem solved, and no harm done.

Not likely. I was on the PRIDE in May and there was a guy on his balcony banging on a set of bongos (yep, I said bongos) and singing at the top of his lungs. I called GS and a security guy came to our room to hear how loud it was (the look on his face was priceless). He went and told the guy to knock it off and then circled back around to tell us that it was taken care of. He also said to call again if the guy started up again, which means he didn't take the guy's bongos. Never heard the guy again, so all was well.

Hey I might have been on that cruise--- I remember the bongo guy! I wonder what made him stop. I never thought of calling and complaining didn't think it would do any good. You must have closer. Thanks!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that enjoys the sounds of the ocean.

Hey I might have been on that cruise--- I remember the bongo guy! I wonder what made him stop. I never thought of calling and complaining didn't think it would do any good. You must have closer. Thanks!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that enjoys the sounds of the ocean.

We were on the May 3rd sailing. His room was about three rooms away from ours.

Not likely. I was on the PRIDE in May and there was a guy on his balcony banging on a set of bongos (yep, I said bongos) and singing at the top of his lungs. I called GS and a security guy came to our room to hear how loud it was (the look on his face was priceless). He went and told the guy to knock it off and then circled back around to tell us that it was taken care of. He also said to call again if the guy started up again, which means he didn't take the guy's bongos. Never heard the guy again, so all was well.

Maybe he confiscated them. He just didn't tell you. Your deduction is either right, or wrong, but one thing is sure.

Take the speaker.. The best part of a recent cruise wasn't the excursions or shipboard activities.. It was being with my wife at 2AM, looking out at the ocean under a full moon with some Teddy Pendergrass coming from my speaker.