music on my balcony

jiggs

I agree. I don't think any balcony is silent. When people get drunk they can be loud and obnoxious. If I was on my balcony and someone was playing loud music or music I didn't like I would just put my own ear phones in to enjoy the music of my choice.

I would ask them to lower loud music but never to shut it off. If that's their enjoyment why mess it up for them? Much better than screaming kids or fighting adults lol

leaving in a few days for another trip south to San Juan for a cruise on the Liberty. While packing I grabbed my bluetooth speaker that now goes with me a lot of places when I travel...I have no concerns with using it in the cabin as it would never be louder than my TV, but my question concerns my balcony.

Would it be considered rude to my neighbors next door, above, and below to have my music on my balcony. I'm pretty sure that there is no volume that I could set it at that some noise wouldn't escape my space. We're in a grand suite, so I do have more real estate between me and the next cabin.

It would be low key stuff, nothing offensive or anything like that.

So, say at sail away while I'm having a cocktail on the balcony waiting to get ready for dinner watching the island disappear into the distance, I have my bluetooth speaker on driven from my cellphone - at a volume my neighbors may know it is on, but probably can't identify the music...

-Am I 'that guy' - will I be made an example of on John Heald's FB page when someone responds 'I got a GS and the jack@ss next door played too much Jack Johnson'.

-Is it okay, kept no louder than voices would be anyway.

-Just leave it inside and enjoy your noise in there if you must.

I know there are no shortage of opinions around here and that is why I am asking, so sound off!

ry%3D480

The worst thing - IMHO - with music played in a semi-public place is the Bass being too loud. That seems to be what carries the worst and is the most annoying.

We live a block away from a bar that sometimes has outdoor concerts. Depending on the band - the bass easily carries great distances if we can hear it that far away.

The worst thing - IMHO - with music played in a semi-public place is the Bass being too loud. That seems to be what carries the worst and is the most annoying.

We live a block away from a bar that sometimes has outdoor concerts. Depending on the band - the bass easily carries great distances if we can hear it that far away.

I can promise the bass would not be an issue...this is a bluetooth speaker that fits in the palm of your hand. I'll leave my 18"s at home...

This was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

You must care a little or you would not have asked the question.

maybe I can introduce some people to dubstep or trap...though my 6 year old is into other stuff...maybe be a variety setlist

Use your headphones!! Please and thank you!!!!!!!!

Our last cruise our neighbor had on playlist of about 10 songs C&W playing all the time. Sometimes they just left it on. I thought maybe if I say something out loud they would take the hint NOPE! turned it up louder so they could hear me. the time before someone thought it would be cool to bring bong drums and "entertain"us. If you want music go to the bar or listen in your cabin.

Do NOT share your music! Do I think everyone would love what I play at home--my opera ---of course not ---why would you think I would love your favorite. I don't care if you think it is low--- it might not be to me. If I had my way there would be a rule headphones only all over the ship.

Yes this is my pet peeve. Use your headphones!! Please and thank you!!!!!!!!

Use your headphones!! Please and thank you!!!!!!!!

Our last cruise our neighbor had on playlist of about 10 songs C&W playing all the time. Sometimes they just left it on. I thought maybe if I say something out loud they would take the hint NOPE! turned it up louder so they could hear me. the time before someone thought it would be cool to bring bong drums and "entertain"us. If you want music go to the bar or listen in your cabin.

Do NOT share your music! Do I think everyone would love what I play at home--my opera ---of course not ---why would you think I would love your favorite. I don't care if you think it is low--- it might not be to me. If I had my way there would be a rule headphones only all over the ship.

Yes this is my pet peeve. Use your headphones!! Please and thank you!!!!!!!!

Fortunately you don't make the rules, do you? I don't think it is at all reasonable to expect complete silence from your balcony neighbors. If you can talk then I can listen to my music quietly.

We vote for both speakers and buds. We DW are on the balcony together, we enjoy listening together and talking, so it's never louder than our normal speaking voices. If I or DW are out there alone, we may use buds if all we want to hear is the music.

But honestly, what makes it special is being able to hear the ocean and our favorite beach music as a mix.

Thank you for courteously asking about this. We have been on 7 cruises, three different lines, all with balconies. I don't remember hearing music from adjoining balconies. It must not be that common to play music on your balcony , or else my neighbors have all been very thoughtful. I guess I appreciate the peace and quiet and sound of the ocean.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app

I can promise the bass would not be an issue...this is a bluetooth speaker that fits in the palm of your hand. I'll leave my 18"s at home...

<< grinning >>>> just a comment aimed at the universe in general .... or at least the universe of heavy bass folks. It's easier to listen to music that's not one's favorite if its bass isn't vibrating your chair :D

I thought I remember seeing something about portable music on the Carnival FAQ section.

"Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas."

The next question would be is a balcony a public area or not.

Personally I think it is fine if it is at a low level not louder than speaking voices and I agree that I would still shut it off if I heard other people and I think in general most people would be considerate.

That said, our neighbors on our last cruise were not considerate at all and played theirs at a loud volume. They didn't play it 24/7, but they weren't quick to shut it off until we would try speaking over it for a while. We don't like to complain about neighbors since it is their vacation too, but their will always be issues like this if Carnival isn't very specific in their do's and dont's.

Fortunately you don't make the rules, do you? I don't think it is at all reasonable to expect complete silence from your balcony neighbors. If you can talk then I can listen to my music quietly.

my thoughts exactly

please use your headphones

Thank you ma'am.

Interestingly I've never had an issue with a neighbor's music (and rarely even play my own music inside my own cabin).

But honestly, what makes it special is being able to hear the ocean ....

Thank you again. Surely one can do without the ambient racket of the Electric Bubble Puppies or whatever for a few days. Most all of us like music, and most all of us would like to hear "our music" but there's plenty of both public and personal music (earbuds or within your cabin). I've done the DC Capitol Jazz cruise twice - that's the Freedom or Valor packed with thousands of music fanatics as well as several professional acts (which swap out at ports) and have never had anyone 'play music' on their balcony. Just sayin' Maybe I'd be ok with it...but I don't want to find out.

Edited by SurferJoe57

we have had balcony neighbors in the past that have played music while on their balcony. It never bothered us, but it was always at a respectful level and was never something we would have complained about. I know that it may have bothered others, but we are kind of go with the flow people and as long as it's not a big loud balcony part that is disturbing people I don't mind.

Well, as I expected, never a shortage of expression. And thanks to 'Bobbie' who posted my question on Heald's page, I have even more bantor to choose from...still pissed at you 'Bobbie', you really need to find more to keep you busy in life.

The speaker is on the charger right now and will be thrown into the carryon today.

As for if my balcony is 'public or private space' I'm pretty sure that should not be a hard one to argue. I don't expect other people to use my balcony, so I'm going with private on that one. Hence the headphone rule does not apply.

I'm not bringing a ghetto blaster, it is a speaker the size of your fist. Can it get loud, absolutely. Will I play it at that volume, no.

As others have said, since I asked, I had some concern but didn't expect to be told to wear headphones all the time. If that is the case, I would prefer my neighbors to use sign language to communicate or pass notes to one another. I would argue many people, which probably includes several on this site have no idea how loud your private chats are on your balcony.

I don't care if you like my music as I'm not really intending you to hear it. I'll be on board early, maybe I'll test it out a bit before my neighbors move in. (yes, I know others with suites may also board early, relax)

I am aware of my surroundings, and after reading cruise critic for a number of years, I have learned how sensitive people are to things I'd never given a second thought to. People who have had entire cruises ruined by people 'cheating' at trivia or a typo in the Capers.

Sound like plenty of others have done what I'm proposing. Maybe I'll put the music on in the cabin and prop the door as a small compromise as it won't carry outside as much.

Thanks for all the feedback, sailing in two days, it will be fun with or without the company of my music.

What you may want to do is have it on in the room and allow the music to escape out onto your balcony. That way you get to hear it but it wont bother your neighbors. Either way as long as its non offensive music and at a low volume it shouldn't bother anyone.

Well, as I expected, never a shortage of expression. And thanks to 'Bobbie' who posted my question on Heald's page, I have even more bantor to choose from...still pissed at you 'Bobbie', you really need to find more to keep you busy in life.

The speaker is on the charger right now and will be thrown into the carryon today.

As for if my balcony is 'public or private space' I'm pretty sure that should not be a hard one to argue. I don't expect other people to use my balcony, so I'm going with private on that one. Hence the headphone rule does not apply.

I'm not bringing a ghetto blaster, it is a speaker the size of your fist. Can it get loud, absolutely. Will I play it at that volume, no.

As others have said, since I asked, I had some concern but didn't expect to be told to wear headphones all the time. If that is the case, I would prefer my neighbors to use sign language to communicate or pass notes to one another. I would argue many people, which probably includes several on this site have no idea how loud your private chats are on your balcony.

I don't care if you like my music as I'm not really intending you to hear it. I'll be on board early, maybe I'll test it out a bit before my neighbors move in. (yes, I know others with suites may also board early, relax)

I am aware of my surroundings, and after reading cruise critic for a number of years, I have learned how sensitive people are to things I'd never given a second thought to. People who have had entire cruises ruined by people 'cheating' at trivia or a typo in the Capers.

Sound like plenty of others have done what I'm proposing. Maybe I'll put the music on in the cabin and prop the door as a small compromise as it won't carry outside as much.

Thanks for all the feedback, sailing in two days, it will be fun with or without the company of my music.

Don't stress about this, really! Put your speaker beside you and enjoy the balcony with your music. I'm sure your neighbor's won't even know you are there.

Just the fact that you asked about it, means you are considerate of others.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

I

as long as its non offensive music and at a low volume it shouldn't bother anyone.

Offensive is pretty subjective. Hip hop is offensive to me but not my son. 70s rock is offensive to him but it's what I love.

I think of the cabin/balcony as a getaway from the Lido deck. I love the Lido deck but when I want to get away from it I head back to the cabin for some peace and quiet.

Offensive is pretty subjective. Hip hop is offensive to me but not my son. 70s rock is offensive to him but it's what I love.

I think of the cabin/balcony as a getaway from the Lido deck. I love the Lido deck but when I want to get away from it I head back to the cabin for some peace and quiet.

Offensive isn't really subjective. Offensive music contains lyrics that could offend someone. In example: curse words, racial issues, sex, etc.

Your son may prefer rap music, and you may prefer 70s rock, however, listening to a "clean" rap song(which doesn't really exsist) would not offend you.