music on my balcony

jiggs

We take Bluetooth speakers with us and while I don't think we've played in out on our balcony, we have definitely had it on in our cabin, and had the door open to enjoy the music on the balcony. It was not a raging volume, just a nice pleasant background volume loud enough to hear while sitting out side.

On the other hand, music on a neighboring balcony would not bother me, but if it did, I would have no problem leaving over and asking them to turn it down a bit. And I would comply if a neighbor did that to me as well.

Just helps to be civil.

Please don't do it. There is nothing worse than forcing your own music preference onto others. I am a music lover, but sailing on a balcony cruise next door to someone who played their music loudly and continuously the whole cruise was enough to make me want to jump ship. Play it in your cabin or in your shower, but please don't play it on your balcony.

Thanks for your comments though I wonder if you even read what I wrote?

I'd probably politely ask that you play something more offensive than Jack Johnson. Schoolboy Q, Kendrick Lamar, Rick Ross, etc.

My other options would be Deadmau5, Laidback Luke or Pretty Lights. If I really wanted to irritate people, it would be One Direction, Iggy, or Taylor...but then I would want to jump ship.

Maybe I'll see what the neighborhood is like before making a choice. I've been neighbors with people that open 4 dividers in a row and have no issue with making a lot of noise, I also have neighbors that have everyone come to their room to use their balcony from elsewhere on the ship, and I've had times when I thought the room next to me was empty because people were never out the time I was.

Things seem rather split on this thread, but once again it is the 'laid back, whats the big deal, just be cool about it' crowd vs. your question alone pisses me off, put headphones on.

I'm not out to 'ruin' anyone's vacation...but I'm not here to accommodate the wishes everyone else to make sure they're the ones having a good time while everyone is on eggshells around them.

If I heard you play Jack Johnson on your balcony, I'd be inclined to throw the speaker into the ocean. Or maybe play a little OTEP right back at you.

That would be okay (not tossing my speaker in the ocean part)...Jack was an example of things that could come out...its is friendly for the family.

Admitting I had to look up OTEP to even see what it was. I can't tell if they're closer to Rage, NIN or Korn...all which happen to be in my play list.

Maybe I should start a new thread - If your jack@ass neighbor on the cruise chose to play music on his balcony, what would you prefer to hear.

PLEASE don't play your music outside. I live in a small condo community and nothing is more annoying than being forced to listen to someone else's music.

It's rude! Just don't do it. That's why we have earphones and earbuds.

IMO. Use headphones / earbuds when out doors. That way all will be happy. I cruise to get away from everyday noises. I love music but my preferred music. I take time to choose a balconey away from the ships pools and places where loud music and voices are the norm. Even when in my cabin I am aware if the TV is too loud. I praise you for asking how others feel. This tells me you sort of already knew the answer but was considerate enough to ask. Thanks.

Maybe I should start a new thread - If your jack@ass neighbor on the cruise chose to play music on his balcony, what would you prefer to hear.

Love it! I say go for it. Would be a fun thread and now that I think about it - would actually be a good way to find out about new tunes. :)

While getting dressed for dinner, I like to have my balcony door open for fresh air and the sound of the ocean. On one cruise, so did my next door neighbor apparently. Every afternoon he played his music either on his balcony or with his door open so that it may as well have been playing in my cabin. It would have been bad enough if it had been music that I loved, but much of it was a genre of music that I do not like. If listening to music is that important to you, invest in a good set of headphones. Don't impose your musical taste on everyone around you. If you can hear it from a few feet away, so can your neighbor if they are on the balcony or enjoying the fresh air while in their cabin. Music doesn't have to be loud for others to hear it.

I vote for head/ear phones! We also get a balcony cabin and that is so we can get away from the noise and crowds in a peaceful environment. It annoys me when people have their music on, even low, in a public place. I wouldn't expect anyone to have to listen to my choice of music. That's why we use ear phones.

I do not want to hear your "music" when I am on my balcony, so if you have to have your "music" put on your head phones. And saying one will play it low...I know your neighbor will hear it so just enjoy the sound of the sea and leave you "music" at home..There are plenty of places on the ship you can go and listen to music. What is music to you may not be to your neighbor. Enjoy your cruise!

leaving in a few days for another trip south to San Juan for a cruise on the Liberty. While packing I grabbed my bluetooth speaker that now goes with me a lot of places when I travel...I have no concerns with using it in the cabin as it would never be louder than my TV, but my question concerns my balcony.

Would it be considered rude to my neighbors next door, above, and below to have my music on my balcony. I'm pretty sure that there is no volume that I could set it at that some noise wouldn't escape my space. We're in a grand suite, so I do have more real estate between me and the next cabin.

It would be low key stuff, nothing offensive or anything like that.

So, say at sail away while I'm having a cocktail on the balcony waiting to get ready for dinner watching the island disappear into the distance, I have my bluetooth speaker on driven from my cellphone - at a volume my neighbors may know it is on, but probably can't identify the music...

-Am I 'that guy' - will I be made an example of on John Heald's FB page when someone responds 'I got a GS and the jack@ss next door played too much Jack Johnson'.

-Is it okay, kept no louder than voices would be anyway.

-Just leave it inside and enjoy your noise in there if you must.

I know there are no shortage of opinions around here and that is why I am asking, so sound off!

We had people next to us that played music. We went out of our way to tell them we liked their tunes! Maybe ask?:D

Editing to say-they played it very low.

Edited by boopsahoy

I am in the "it depends on what kind of music it is" camp.

My question though is the same that I ask a lot on this web site:

Do you bring your own music to play if you stay in a hotel on land? Do you play it on the hotel balcony or at the hotel pool? IF the answer is "no" then to me the balcony on the ship is not any different.

IF the answer is "yes", then I hope that no one is disturbed by your choice of music.

I would ask you to wear headphones. I love sitting on the balcony and enjoy the sound of the ship splashing through the water.

On port days, however I say listen away!

Totally agree. I book a balcony for the peace and quiet and serenity, and the sound of the water as the ship passes through the waves.

I would never do this myself because I do not know how to listen to my music low. [emoji3][emoji450]

If you bring it, just ask the neighbors beside you if they can hear it and let them know that you would be happy to shut it down if it is infringing on their enjoyment of their balcony. I'd also try to be aware of whether I was raising my own voice to talk over it in which case your loud conversation might be an annoying side effect of playing your music low. I'd be happy to have a considerate balcony neighbor like you beside me.

Seriously? To all the people up in arms at the thought of some quiet music on the balcony - do you get upset when a neighbor is talking on their balcony? What if kids are out there playing? I think it's a bit much to demand others be completely silent.

So, who is 'Bobbie' that took my question to Heald already? You copied it nearly word-for-word from this thread. Were you hoping he was going to say 'we would discourage this from happening'...? Well, he didn't.

Maybe you'll be my neighbor next week as you apparently are also on the Liberty in a grand suite...

just when you think you've seen it all on this website, people continue to amaze me.

Seriously? To all the people up in arms at the thought of some quiet music on the balcony - do you get upset when a neighbor is talking on their balcony? What if kids are out there playing? I think it's a bit much to demand others be completely silent.

I agree. I don't think any balcony is silent. When people get drunk they can be loud and obnoxious. If I was on my balcony and someone was playing loud music or music I didn't like I would just put my own ear phones in to enjoy the music of my choice.

I always book balconies and have never had to worry about my neighbors on any cruise...probably because I just tune out the stuff that isn't about me.

I don't understand this obsession from some people that balconies are "private". You can hear tons of stuff from your balcony...music from the lido, yelling and laughter from the promenade deck, interesting discussions from your neighbors, doors slamming, music playing. Its all part of being on a ship with some 4000 souls. You are not on a private beach somewhere, you are several feet away from the rest of the world.

It is probably respectful of others to keep their conversations low and their music low...but a moving ship with wind and ocean often makes it hard to hear soft voices.