taking own wifi

Has anyone taken their own wifi onboard and is it allowed? Or taken any international phones just to check in home etc. Anyone recommend any companies etc. We will be on the RC explorer

Has anyone taken their own wifi onboard and is it allowed? Or taken any international phones just to check in home etc. Anyone recommend any companies etc. We will be on the RC explorer

Don't understand how you will take your own wifi on the ship:confused:

Check with your cell carrier. Cellular data at while at sea can be very expensive.

Yeah was thinking bout a wifi pocket but wasnt sure if it would work. There is company called "ekit" that does do cellular data & calls/txt for boats so might contact them. Was just wondering if anyone has tried previously to take their own. The boats charge a fortune for it!!!!

I may be older, but wifi needs the internet. Right? So what would be the purpose of having a wifi hotspot, connecting to cellular at sea you can use your laptop off of your cell phone hot spot, that is connected to the data provided by cellular at sea? Which is the ships WiFi anyway?

For the poster - if you can't live without data, than you are going to pay for it. :D

a WiFi device you are referring to works through a high capacity cell phone signal that is only available from land based systems. The ship cell phone service does not have this capability.

If you have such a device, it may work in ports where such service is available.

But, when it works, it is much faster than the ships WiFi service.

I think what the OP is asking is whether a pocket WiFi router will allow two or more people, within proximity of each other, to simultaneously use a single connection purchased through the ship.

A pocket WiFi router (not a MiFi device) needs a wired connection, which is not availble on the ship.

I am considering purchasing the Netgear Trek N300 Travel router. Supposedly, this has what you may be looking for: You can navigate the sign on page with the router, and assign the "internet" to the router. This can then supply internet to each of your devices. And yes, it can be done without a wired connection.

Now, your supplied bandwidth will still be limited and now shared among your devices.

Reviews on amazon are mixed, so I wouldn't mind if someone else wanted to be a guinea pig...

Has anyone used the company ekit.com? They have advised me they can supply mobile phones and data use on RC boats? If its true will be good!!

Whatever they give you will still be using Cellular@Sea/Wireless Maritime cellular network and rates - there are NO other towers in the middle of the ocean. If you're on a ship, you're either using a satellite phone or you're using the ship's towers.

I am considering purchasing the Netgear Trek N300 Travel router. Supposedly, this has what you may be looking for: You can navigate the sign on page with the router, and assign the "internet" to the router. This can then supply internet to each of your devices. And yes, it can be done without a wired connection.

Now, your supplied bandwidth will still be limited and now shared among your devices.

Reviews on amazon are mixed, so I wouldn't mind if someone else wanted to be a guinea pig...

I've not tried this, but I agree, it looks like it might allow multiple wireless devices to share a single wireless connection. However, the OP will still have to pay the ship for the single wireless connection.

Edited by clarea

Yeah bgetter i have read reviews also & its a big expense if it doesn't work. Great point Illyria :) i think just suck it up and hope nothing happens at home while at sea!!!!!

I've not tried this, but I agree, it looks like it might allow multiple wireless devices to share a single wireless connection. However, the OP will still have to pay the ship for the single wireless connection.

I have a device from Ravpower that I use with my iPad. What makes it great for me is it is not only a wireless hotspot, but it also can be used as a wireless hard drive for the iPad and can be plugged into an iPad or iPhone and recharge them.

Many routers do this. The router has the only public IP address, and the devices behind it rely on RFC1918 addresses. Depending on their network setup, it may or may not be allowed. I know detecting NAT is a common feature of many NAC systems.

Anyway, with the current RCI pricing model most people probably don't need this. I connect, do my thing, disconnect. You connect, yadda, yadda, yadda. It's only really an issue if you and I both need to be online at the same time, and since we're on vacation, we don't! ;-)