Help! - Mother-in-law injuried in Ensenada on Paradise - What to do??

Mike S.

I just got a call from my wife (who is on a cruise with her mom and sister) and my mother-in-law fell getting off the ship, breaking her hip. The ship's purser hasn't been any help, and that's who the cruise line said they should talk to (after calling their office). There is no airport in Ensenada (we live in San Diego), and the ship isn't scheduled to get back to Long Beach until Monday.

Has anyone had a similar incident or know of someone who did? What did the cuise line do??

I just got a call from my wife (who is on a cruise with her mom and sister) and my mother-in-law fell getting off the ship, breaking her hip. The ship's purser hasn't been any help, and that's who the cruise line said they should talk to (after calling their office). There is no airport in Ensenada (we live in San Diego), and the ship isn't scheduled to get back to Long Beach until Monday.

Has anyone had a similar incident or know of someone who did? What did the cuise line do??

Hopefully she has travel insurance??? If so, they can contact the insurance company and they will help you. I'm assuming she has seen the ships doctor, what have they said? Have they recommended a med-evac?? Is she still in Ensenada??? Where is she staying?

First, I wish her a speedy recovery!

A harsh but necessary question will be asked: where exactly did it happen? While she was on a Panamanian ship with whose owners she contracted with in the United States and was in Mexican jurisdiction or did it happen on Mexican soil in the port facility? Or did it happen on the gang plank?

These questions will come up.

Meanwhile, a hospital in Ensenada should be able to stabilize (and completely treat) her condition enough for transport to San Diego.

First off, thank you very much to the people who responded. :) I can tell there are good peeps here (my first time).

As for updates and answers:

Yes, she has trip insurance (thankfully!). She was still in Ensenada (first full day of cruise in fact), but I don't know at this point where she fell (I have a feeling from the 2nd hand reports I'm getting that it was while she was off the ship).

Last info I got (from my father-in-law) is that they have gotten in touch with a group that helps injuried US citizens get back to the states. Not sure what the name of the group is, but I will post it here later when I know for everyone else's benefit. If all goes smoothly (wouldn't that be a miracle?) they could all be back here in San Diego by this evening, and mom-in-law in the hospital here.

Keep your fingers crossed!

They should have immediately contacted the ships Port Services Agency unless it happened on the ship. They are the ones that would have helped get her to a hospital for care and provided information and assistance on getting her home. The cruiseline contracts with these agencys in any port that they go to. And of course the travel insurance company can be a great assist. The ship's crew has little to no responsibility and just as little knowlege of local facilities.

My dad almost drowned on a cruise excursion a couple years ago. It was on a Disney cruise. HOpefully CArnival would handle the situation in much the same way---they immediately brought him back to the ship and stabalized him, then arranged to have him medevaced to Ft. Lauderdale (which meant going from the ship which shoved off at it's regular time, to a tug boat while at sea, then an ambulance to the airport in Grand BAhama, then a lear jet ambulance to the mainland---a 9 hour total evac time). There he spent 5 nights in the hospital. Fortunately he's fine now! He didn't have trip insurance, but did have medicare (which doesn't cover out of the country---which includes the ship) and retired military insurance (which covers very well) so he was well covered. The hospital was very good in helping me find a nearby hotel with a discount for family members of patients and even gave me some coupons for eating at the hospital diner. The main thing I had to do after he was released was rearrange for our tranportation back to our respective states---which included another 3 nights in Florida before we could get a flight at the fare we paid (or pay another $1000) and get back up to Orlando to use our original tickets. I also had to fax a letter from the Dr. to the airlines saying my dad was fit to fly.

It's amazing what all has to be done in the case of an injury while on a foreign cruise!

Hope your mother-in-law has a speedy recovery!

I hope she is ok. Did you fall on an object. There are attorneys who specialize in these areas.

Always someone out there to jump to filing a lawsuit :rolleyes: She fell, that is all we know right now, probably while off the ship according to the OP. No need to call in the ambulance chasers quite yet... Some people can actually take responsibility for themselves... for all we know, this could have very well been her OWN fault... let's call off the legal dogs for now :rolleyes:

Klfhngr--- ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

If it was my mother in law, I would kick her while she was down.

I seriously hope your mother in law is ok. It is not too terribly far to get her back to San Diego... I think CCL will work with them even if it was on shore. They have always been great with my clients when they had medical emergencies...

Klfhngr--- ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

If it was my mother in law, I would kick her while she was down.

I seriously hope your mother in law is ok. It is not too terribly far to get her back to San Diego... I think CCL will work with them even if it was on shore. They have always been great with my clients when they had medical emergencies...

Why thank you Shungirl! Glad someone has a sense of humor, unlike Iamthesea! Sometimes humor is the best medicine!

Why thank you Shungirl! Glad someone has a sense of humor, unlike Iamthesea! Sometimes humor is the best medicine!

Oh yeah....hahaha so funny....I hope your best friend or SO breaks their hip haha that would be so funny...especially if you just leave em there...oh stop...I can't handle it..

to the Op...hope all goes well....Not what ANYONE would want to have to deal with on vacation,or out of the Country.

What a scary thing to happen. Hoping all goes well for your MIL. Please let us know.

I started to cringe at MIL jokes when I became one.

slabeaume - I'm glad you Dad is okay. That must have been a horrible experience for everyone.

Archived