What Was Royal Caribbean Like Back in the Day?

LOL! Had that happen in 1995 on Sovereign also. My reaction went from "aww" to "eew!" in about 20 seconds. Especially when I realized I had left it in the nightstand drawer and it somehow still made it's way into the bed. :eek:

Forgot that one! It was all about service back then. When we took our 3 children on their first cruise in 1998, they all had etiquette lessons at home before hand so they would know how to act at dinner! They thank me now for teaching them manners. The waiters (no women) really made the dinner special. And if they saw you in the other venues at breakfast or lunch, they would come over to serve you there! Much more passenger mingling. Part of the entertainment was getting to know your fellow passenger. We spent $4000 on our first cruise-balcony room with airfare to San Juan for 7 days on Celebrity's Galaxy. Beautiful, stately ship.

Our first cruise was on the Monarch back in 1993. We were on our 15th Wedding Anniversary and were seated at dinner with 3 other couples who were all on their honeymoons!! One thing I distinctly remember was that the waiter did everything. He would even cut my lettuce salad while it sat in front of me which I felt kind of embarrassed about since I wasn't used to that kind of service.

The theme nights in the MDR with waiters dressed the same and many nights they would sing for us. The midnight buffets every night but I have to admit they were kind of a waste since I didn't see that many people eating at them.

Every time we left our stateroom, our steward magically knew we were gone and would come and straighten our room - even if it was just putting away our shoes.

I still enjoy today's cruising and it is a good value. I enjoy being able to eat when I would like and even sit at a table for 2 when we choose. There are definite advantages to cruising today.

One thing I distinctly remember was that the waiter did everything. He would even cut my lettuce salad while it sat in front of me which I felt kind of embarrassed about since I wasn't used to that kind of service.

One thing I hated was when the waiter would place your napkin on your lap for you. I would sit down and quickly flash that napkin onto my lap myself. Don't really know why it bothered me so...except that it seem so intrusive. And yes, they gave you a choice of dressings, and brought that multi-dish dressing server to your plate and kept dishing it out until you said "stop!" I also recall staff members dressed up like characters...I have a photo of myself with a young woman dressed as a pirate.

...Our cabin stewards used our nightgowns to fashion shapes out of them and lay them out on the bed at turn down. Kinda creepy I know, especially now that I think of it. I used to hide my nightgowns after that. :D

Our first cruise was January 2002 on Sovereign of the Seas and I remember coming back from dinner the first night and seeing that the cabin attendant had used my skimpy, silky nightgown to make some sort of decoration on the bed. While I really liked him, the thought that he had touched my nightgown really creeped me out and I always hid mine deep in a drawer after that.

If you look at the bottom of that price list you will see the single share. When I was a college student in the last 80's that is how I got hooked on cruising. In a way it was like freshman year you were assigned a roommate to share for the week. At least here the inside room had two lower beds, I first sailed on the SS Norway (NCL), shared a cabin with bunkbeds and you could touch both walls with outspread hands. If I remember that privilege cost around 900$ for a week.

2004 was our first RCI Cruise - does that count as "back in the day"? I think it does.

Dinner was an experience. Multiple courses, service was incredible. You didn't dare pour your own wine lest you risk the wrath of your waiter :). Well, not really wrath but I did it once and he was horrified. I remember being served sorbet to cleanse your palate. Dinner was at least a couple of hours long and not because service was slack. It was because it was a refined patient experience. Food was so good back then compared to today.

First cruise was in 1979 on Song of Norway. Some differences then compared to now.

Smaller ship lead to knowing more people at the end of the week due to so many participating in the activities.

Waiters had much more time to get to know their guests and they'd do tricks and mind puzzles to make,dinners a more pleasant experience.

We tended to do almost all meals in the dining room because food and service was better there.

Midnight buffets were sights to behold and really allowed the culinary staff to show its stuff, even if they were a tremendous waste of food.

More and better activities on board.

The cruise director was visible almost 24/7 and there was much more interaction with the cruise staff members outside the times of scheduled activities.

The Caribbean islands were much cleaner, residents there were much friendlier less over run with ships passengers every day.

We were much younger then and were able to participate in many more activities. We were even asked if we were part of the shows on a couple of cruises.

When RCCL had only 3 ships and were only 7 day cruises - at Christmas time there would be a 2 week cruise on one of the ships. And RCCL would give a Lladro figurine as a present to the passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On the ships built before Sovereign class there weren't safes in the cabin. You had to bring things to the Pursers desk if you wanted them locked up in their safe. It was a free service, but not as convenient as having a safe in the cabin.

The Windjammer was outdoors and only partially covered; not fun when it was raining. The current Windjammers are a big improvement.

• 1 month later...
On the ships built before Sovereign class there weren't safes in the cabin. You had to bring things to the Pursers desk if you wanted them locked up in their safe. It was a free service, but not as convenient as having a safe in the cabin.

The Windjammer was outdoors and only partially covered; not fun when it was raining. The current Windjammers are a big improvement.

Some ships still have safes in Pursers dept - but ones in cabins are easier to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On our second cruise, 1995 aboard Monarch...

Cruise in Review video on glorious VHS tape.

I remember Ship Shape too! Who still has one of those yellow shirts?

I still have a couple, lol.

Loved Cruise In Review! They'd play it on the last night, so fun seeing us and family in it!

First cruise Song Of Norway, we were the entertainment one night, lol. Dressed in 1800's bathing suits with balloons to make the muscles for the men and boobs and butt for the ladies. They gave us drinks before hand and champagne and tons of goodies after. So much fun!

Edited by croosieloosie