Switching to Regent

Eager2Travel - I wonder if you would return to Seabourn if they simply stopped allowing smoking on balconies? If so, please let them know, for all our sakes!

Also, since we are currently doing a comparison between the lines, did you find Seabourn more to your taste apart from the smoking issue than Regent, or not?

By all means, give Regent a try, but you may find a superior experience on one of the other luxury lines. Generally those other lines are less expensive than Regent.

I used to love Regent, then it changed its target audience, engaged in some behavior I find questionable and decided to soak single passengers.

For now Seabourn is my go-to line. Perhaps Regent will win me back after a trip on the new ship. Maybe Crystal will wow me over.

As regards to Winner's comments, Seabourn was either unwilling or unable to move us after our complaint. The cigar smell disappeared but the cigarette smell did not as it is allowed. We made our views well known while onboard and afterwards in the survey.

We found Seabourn to be excellent in every other way. Crew and service could not have been better. Surprise gifts would show up at turndown service. We would consider cruising with them again but with some trepidation because of the smoking allowed on balconies. However Regent is still our favorite because of the ease of traveling with them.

Edited by Eager2Travel

As regards to Winner's comments, Seabourn was either unwilling or unable to move us after our complaint. The cigar smell disappeared but the cigarette smell did not as it is allowed. We made our views well known while onboard and afterwards in the survey.

We found Seabourn to be excellent in every other way. Crew and service could not have been better. Surprise gifts would show up at turndown service. We would consider cruising with them again but with some trepidation because of the smoking allowed on balconies. However Regent is still our favorite because of the ease of traveling with them.

I really feel that Seabourn's smoking policy is drawing smokers to their cruise line. For them this is not a bad thing as it fills their ships. Unlike the "old days" Seabourn's competition (Crystal, Regent and Silversea) no longer permit smoking on balconies.

There are some Seabourn customers on board the Mariner with us and it is not surprising that they prefer Seabourn. When we sailed Silversea (three times), we did enjoy it but will always prefer Regent. There are a couple from Crystal that will be on a Navigator transatlantic cruise. I have no doubt that their experience on the Navigator will not meet their expectations (except for the larger suites on the Navigator).

The luxury cruise lines offer something for everyone. We tried two other cruise lines (admittedly one is premium - not luxury) and are now more satisfied with Regent than we have ever been. IMO, the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Edited by Travelcat2

flossie09 - thanks; that had passed me by. I think we were actually on Regent at the time! Regarding children, we had a few shouty ones in the pool on Regent; splashing in etc. This can happen on any line if you are unlucky.

We dislike smoking (almost!) as much as anyone, but I am not sure that Seabourn actually attract as many smokers as they lose smoke-haters. If they would just change the balcony policy it would make a huge difference, as most people do not object to the occasional space being available in public areas, which the rest can avoid. In fact, the smoking area by the pool on Mariner was quite large, with comfortable seating, and really unpleasant to be near when we were on board. Seabourn keep improving their policy, but no balcony smoking would be a great leap forward, and believe me all the Seabourn fans I know keep pressing for it.

Incidentally, as we travel in a'standard' suite, we do appreciate the 50 sq. ft. extra in the Seabourn suites to Mariner.

Jackie when the new Crystal ships come out with larger suites, I will twist your arm to give Crystal a test cruise or will I need to come to your beautiful part of the U.S. and drag you and Dennis.:D

Miles, you are so funny:D Perhaps when you try the Explorer (recommend the maiden transatlantic in November 2016 that we and a lot of fun CC'ers will be on), we will look at Crystal again. Just saying maybe at this point as we are booked through 2016 but not beyond.