75% credit if 'cancel for any reason' outside insurance

greydog

Anyone with experience applying for the 'any reason' credit for situation NOT included under insurance?

Per the Celebrity cruise booklet under CruiseCare package of benefits.

"Should you or your traveling companion need to cancel your cruise for "any other reason" you may be eligible for cruise credits (up to 75% of the non-refundable, prepaid cruise vacation cost.)" My highlight.

Anyone know the rules for this credit, e.g. how close to sail date allowed. I also suspect the future credit may only apply to a future standard-rate booking, not against a senior, residency, or other discount rate. PLUS I'm guessing the 75% credit would not apply against TA commission portion (they fulfilled their service).

Just trying to be prepared. For example, if driving to port and car breaks down, missing sailing, could one call that day to at least recoup the 75% credit.

Edited by greydog

OK - here's relevant section from 'fine print" with my highlights.

CRUISECARE “ANY REASON” CRUISE CREDITS

......Up To 75% of the non-refundable

pre-paid Cruise Vacation Cost

Provided EXCLUSIVELY by Celebrity Cruises

In the event that you choose to cancel for a reason not authorized above or for a reason that is otherwise restricted, at any time up until departure, and you have purchased CruiseCare, Celebrity

Cruises will provide you a cruise credit equal to 75% of the non-refundable value of your Cruise Vacation prepaid to Celebrity Cruises, for your use toward a future cruise. This additional enhancement is offered

exclusively by Celebrity Cruises as a special service to guests that purchase this cruise ticket Cancellation Penalty Waiver Addendum. Certain restrictions on the use of these cruise credits (such as blackout periods) may apply. Credits are valid for one year from issue date, are not transferable, and have no cash value. To be eligible for credits, notification of cancellation must be given to Celebrity Cruises prior to the ship’s departure.

Seems there's partial credit possible if car dies on way to port, you can't arrange emergency alternate in time, and you call X before departure.

SO, anyone with 'been there, done that' using this 'any reason' benefit?

I have used this several times over the past few years, with excellent results. Very easy to do and very helpful people to deal with. Just copy your invoice before you cancel so that you have it to refer to. I believe the only restriction is that you cannot use it towards a holiday sailing or an inaugural sailing. Also, if you cancel the sailing you book using the credit, you cannot carry it over to another cruise. I have really been very pleased. Good luck.

Just remember that cruise fares have been rising recently as the lines try to overcome the discounting they used during the financial downturn. Therefore the 75% credit of your current fare is unlikely to purchase 75% of a future cruise. Third-party trip insurance pays cash, which you can then use any way you like.

Also, look carefully at the amount of medical and evacuation coverage in that policy. IMHO, it is considerably less than you may need. I guess it depends on what you think is important to insure.

Keep in mind that it may cost over $100K to get you from the ship to a hospital and then get you home....evacuation. And your doctor bills may well exceed $50K and may not be covered by your regular medical insurance because the hospital/doctors are outside the US.

Edited by ghstudio

Just remember that cruise fares have been rising recently as the lines try to overcome the discounting they used during the financial downturn. Therefore the 75% credit of your current fare is unlikely to purchase 75% of a future cruise. Third-party trip insurance pays cash, which you can then use any way you like.

"Cancel any reason" is for situations NOT covered by insurance. In the past, my car broke down returning from cruise, with tow, motel overnite during repairs. I had insurance, but when I contacted them, they said only 'common carrier' accidents or interruptions covered, not private vehicle.

So my most likely situation is driving to port and some vehicle breakdown preventing arrival before sailing. (If accident with police report that is ins. covered) Nice to think I can contact Celebrity about missing sailing and at least recover 75% 'any reason' credit.

I have used this several times over the past few years, with excellent results. Very easy to do and very helpful people to deal with. Just copy your invoice before you cancel so that you have it to refer to. I believe the only restriction is that you cannot use it towards a holiday sailing or an inaugural sailing. Also, if you cancel the sailing you book using the credit, you cannot carry it over to another cruise. I have really been very pleased. Good luck.

Thanks, this is kind of first-hand feedback I was seeking.

"Cancel any reason" is for situations NOT covered by insurance. In the past, my car broke down returning from cruise, with tow, motel overnite during repairs. I had insurance, but when I contacted them, they said only 'common carrier' accidents or interruptions covered, not private vehicle.

So my most likely situation is driving to port and some vehicle breakdown preventing arrival before sailing. (If accident with police report that is ins. covered) Nice to think I can contact Celebrity about missing sailing and at least recover 75% 'any reason' credit.

Not sure what distinction you think you are making. I was speaking about third-party "cancel for any reason" insurance.

Not sure what distinction you think you are making. I was speaking about third-party "cancel for any reason" insurance.

Hi - was unfamiliar with '3rd party' offering 'any reason' coverage, so thanks for info.

I was trying to pin down details of 'any reason' associated with X's CruiseCare that has been satisfactory for us (and more economical since no upcharge for older ages). Of course CruiseCare is not a Platinum coverage level, e.g. only 'secondary' med reimbursement, etc.

Thanks HAPPY CRUISING

You might want to check out a website like insuremytrip dot com to compare coverages from several third-party companies. They will probably cost more than the Celebrity policy, but they will also include far more coverage. Since you (like me) are from the US, it's likely that your medical coverage stops at the border -- so you might want to pay a little more for better medical coverage. You should also consider joining MedJet (best deal is through AARP, and very reasonable) to get primary medical evacuation coverage -- if you have that, the medical coverage in your travel insurance is less important because you can always tell MedJet to fly you home where your regular coverage will pick up.

Most reputable travel agencies offer third party plans with coverage equal to, if not better than the cruise line offerings. A good plan should offer a cancel for any reason option (possibly at a slight premium increase) that refunds you anywhere from 75-100% of non-refundable trip costs as a cash reimbursement rather than a future cruise credit.

Anyone with experience applying for the 'any reason' credit for situation NOT included under insurance?

Per the Celebrity cruise booklet under CruiseCare package of benefits.

"Should you or your traveling companion need to cancel your cruise for "any other reason" you may be eligible for cruise credits (up to 75% of the non-refundable, prepaid cruise vacation cost.)" My highlight.

Anyone know the rules for this credit, e.g. how close to sail date allowed. I also suspect the future credit may only apply to a future standard-rate booking, not against a senior, residency, or other discount rate. PLUS I'm guessing the 75% credit would not apply against TA commission portion (they fulfilled their service).

Just trying to be prepared. For example, if driving to port and car breaks down, missing sailing, could one call that day to at least recoup the 75% credit.

Very timely thread, as I am about to pull the trigger on the "Cancel For Any Reason" CruiseCare policy for our upcoming Med cruise. My 90 year old father's increasingly frail health has already caused us to cancel one short trip and lose everything because of his myriad pre-existing conditions, so I want to be as well covered as I can for this far more expensive trip.

I have a fair bit of experience in contract management, and have worked very closely with lawyers for many years. I'm therefore a bit confused, and a bit worried, about a big inconsistency in the wording of the Cruisecare policy description of the Cancel for any Reason coverage. Referring to the "official" CruisCare PDF Terms and Conditions document, on page 2 it clearly states "...up to 75%" will be covered/reimbursed, but in the body of the same paragraph, it then clearly states "...will provide you with a cruise credit equal to 75%...". Mathematically and contractually, "up to" and "equal to" are not necessarily the same thing and the "up to" leaves them a massive amount of wiggle room. Would anyone have an idea as to why they feel the need to cover themselves by saying "up to" and under what circumstances they would NOT reimburse the full 75%? In all the CruiseCare threads on CC, I've never seen anyone NOT get the full 75% credited back.

Thanks for any inputs, sorry for being so paranoid, but as I said, I've spent way too much time with lawyers over the years ;o(