Celebrity VS Oceania

LabGuy64

A comment was made re the cold towel, drink, greeting from Celebrity when returning to the ship. Yes, I love this too. I also love the glass of fizzy on boarding, the bottle on ice when I get in my room and the chocolate now returned to my pillow!!!

Sometimes when comparing cruise lines I think we tend to focus on the 'big' (cost, perks, number of dining rooms....). But when we reflect on our great vacations it is often the 'small' that have made it special like the cold towels, the glass of fizzy.....

I do not think I am easily pleased but I am pleased when a cruise line gets the little things right!

For some reason the UK prices (and probably European sites too) on Oceania are much cheaper than those here in the US. I know this because some of my friends gave been booking Oceania through a UK website.

Wow, that's a first :).

We have been sailing with Celebrity since 2001 but try other lines from time to time gradually moving up the level of accommodation as the kids got off hand and we reached the peak of our earning capacity. Now retired we will be taking our first cruise on Oceania this August. So far I have been reasonably impressed. The price for a 7 night Baltic cruise including business class flights from London, a free premium drink package (which on board would cost $60 pp per day) and paid gratuities in a penthouse suite on Marina was under £2,000 pp which I think would be comparable to what one would pay for a Celebrity Sky Suite and all the trimmings that go with it.

I think the option to dine in Marina's speciality restaurant's for free is a good vote winner and was impressed to receive the other day a personalised 50 page booklet containing every aspect of this forthcoming cruise. I can remember when Celebrity used to provide such detailed and well laid out information but no longer, apparently to help save the plant by reducing paper waste - maybe! But whether or not I will enjoy the ship remains to be seen. :)

I have sailed in a PH suite on Oceania (R ships) twice and a veranda on Celebrity once. They are different trips and it depends what you like. If you prefer a quieter and smaller ship, no formal nights, and less people then you may like Oceania. If you like all the people and lots of activities then Celebrity may be for you.

A comment was made re the cold towel, drink, greeting from Celebrity when returning to the ship. Yes, I love this too. I also love the glass of fizzy on boarding, the bottle on ice when I get in my room and the chocolate now returned to my pillow!!!

Sometimes when comparing cruise lines I think we tend to focus on the 'big' (cost, perks, number of dining rooms....). But when we reflect on our great vacations it is often the 'small' that have made it special like the cold towels, the glass of fizzy.....

I do not think I am easily pleased but I am pleased when a cruise line gets the little things right!

Yes..We had no chocolates this past Jan. Last year we did. They started them up again just after our trip. Those little things do add up!