Proposal ideas on Navigator of the Sea

Hi everyone. I posted this on the "ask a question" board and it was suggested that I post this here as well:

I plan on proposing to my girlfriend during our upcoming 7-day cruise in September. This will be the first cruise for both of us and we really don't know what to expect. I read an older thread about proposal ideas for this same ship but I've been told that this ship has been completely renovated since then. Are there any new features on this specific ship that would be good for a proposal? I do plan on popping the question on either the first day of departure or the following day. I'm not really interested in going on a stage at the theater but I don't mind a public setting (and she wouldn't either) if that makes sense lol. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

You can put a message in the daily cruise compass. Very small fee.

The large screen at the pool maybe guest services can help post a message up there for you. No matter how where or when I'm sure it will be perfect!!!!! Don't forget the champagne. You can also pre order flowers for your cabin. Even with a note with them it would be more private but very romantic. Please keep us posted[emoji267]

We saw a man propose on formal night, in front of the beautiful staircase & spray statue behind it a month ago! The photographer was in on it (apparently) because after she said, "YES," he went up to thank the photographer. EVERYONE clapped for them.

• 2 weeks later...

She'll be seeing the pictures of her proposal for the rest of your lives so do it the 2nd night which is formal night. The first night, no one looks good, especially if your luggage hasn't come to your cabin early enough to change for dinner.

There are several specialty restaurants on board & you could work a deal out with the hotel director, food & beverage manager or even through Guest Services if you're thinking about putting the ring in a dessert. Chops has really good meat like veal chops & steak, or there's Izumi if you're more into sushi. Sabor (Mexican food) & Giovanni's Table (Family-style Italian) might not be as romantic as Chops is. Chops does cost an extra $25 per person & might be hard to get the photographer there on Formal Night.

You could always work out the details ahead of time with your Head Waiter (if he doesn't introduce him or herself the first night, ask your waiter to point him/her out). The Head Waiter can help you get champagne ordered, a photographer there, special dessert, etc. - just don't forget to give him or her an extra tip at the end of the cruise. Good luck!

I think, if it were me... as opposed to a proposal directly on the ship. why not consider something she would not expect???

Perhaps when you get off the ship in one of the ports you could reach out

to one of the local shore excursion people and have an entire group of kids

holding signs "will you marry me"?

In port there are tons of people holding up signs for shore excursions..you could even get someone to hold up a "will you marry me excurision" sign

or some times the ship photographers will be in costume when you get off the ship, they could probably do it as well.

just my thoughts.

I think, if it were me... as opposed to a proposal directly on the ship. why not consider something she would not expect???

Perhaps when you get off the ship in one of the ports you could reach out

to one of the local shore excursion people and have an entire group of kids

holding signs "will you marry me"?

In port there are tons of people holding up signs for shore excursions..you could even get someone to hold up a "will you marry me excurision" sign

or some times the ship photographers will be in costume when you get off the ship, they could probably do it as well.

just my thoughts.

I don't quite see how that would work if you are getting off at a port together....and it is your first cruise? You wouldn't even know where people are usually positioned. :)

I agree, plus I assume he's going to be giving her a ring. Port is probably not the safest place to do that. I leave my good rings in the cabin safe while in port. I may be being over-cautious, but these rings have been in my family for generations.

Like some have said I would probably say on formal night and look to get one of the photographers in on it so that you have some great photos of the moment

Sent from my Samsung Note Edge

I agree, plus I assume he's going to be giving her a ring. Port is probably not the safest place to do that. I leave my good rings in the cabin safe while in port. I may be being over-cautious, but these rings have been in my family for generations.

I completely disagree with this response.

Ultimately it's up to you to decide whatever you think is the perfect way to propose. And whatever you choose I wish you nothing but happiness.

However,

Please do NOT think the ports are unsafe, the last thing I would hope you would do (if you propose prior to a port) is have your fiancé take her new engagement ring off!!!!

If you are smart and watch your surroundings, you will be fine. Unless you are going on some crazy zip line or underwater adventure where you might possibly damage it. The ports are fine, and every twenty feet there is a jewelry store, and thousand of passengers buying expensive jewelry and watches.

Be smart, you will be fine. I wish you all the best.

Edited by TheTruthCanHurt

The person you quoted is not the OP, not the person who requested ideas, and also not the the future fiance.

thank you,

I am well aware who I responded to.

But I am also aware that the op ( I would imagine) since it was his post,

is reading all the responses. So it made sense to me

:) thank you

Helicopter pad in the evening.

ooohhhh I Like this idea too,

I wonder if it would be super windy?

I think this would be way cooler and more romantic than something totally expected and typical like the main dining room. But then Again, I like to take the unconventional approach to things.

I completely disagree with this response.

Ultimately it's up to you to decide whatever you think is the perfect way to propose. And whatever you choose I wish you nothing but happiness.

However,

Please do NOT think the ports are unsafe, the last thing I would hope you would do (if you propose prior to a port) is have your fiancé take her new engagement ring off!!!!

If you are smart and watch your surroundings, you will be fine. Unless you are going on some crazy zip line or underwater adventure where you might possibly damage it. The ports are fine, and every twenty feet there is a jewelry store, and thousand of passengers buying expensive jewelry and watches.

Be smart, you will be fine. I wish you all the best.

Whoa, hang on there, Truth Can Hurt. That's quite a leap to assume my agreeing with Coraic meant the port itself was unsafe. If you read what Coraic said about the uncertainty of what would be where, etc, I was talking about the ring getting lost, not stolen. I am well aware that robberies of passengers in port are rare. Between the local performers, the photographers dressed like pirates, the lines for excursions, the people passing out ads disguised as maps, etc, etc, things are pretty chaotic getting off the ship & a ring can easily get misplaced.

She'll be seeing the pictures of her proposal for the rest of your lives so do it the 2nd night which is formal night. The first night, no one looks good, especially if your luggage hasn't come to your cabin early enough to change for dinner.

There are several specialty restaurants on board & you could work a deal out with the hotel director, food & beverage manager or even through Guest Services if you're thinking about putting the ring in a dessert. Chops has really good meat like veal chops & steak, or there's Izumi if you're more into sushi. Sabor (Mexican food) & Giovanni's Table (Family-style Italian) might not be as romantic as Chops is. Chops does cost an extra $25 per person & might be hard to get the photographer there on Formal Night.

You could always work out the details ahead of time with your Head Waiter (if he doesn't introduce him or herself the first night, ask your waiter to point him/her out). The Head Waiter can help you get champagne ordered, a photographer there, special dessert, etc. - just don't forget to give him or her an extra tip at the end of the cruise. Good luck!

I think Giovanni's is much nicer than chops and cheaper

Whoa, hang on there, Truth Can Hurt. That's quite a leap to assume my agreeing with Coraic meant the port itself was unsafe. If you read what Coraic said about the uncertainty of what would be where, etc, I was talking about the ring getting lost, not stolen. I am well aware that robberies of passengers in port are rare. Between the local performers, the photographers dressed like pirates, the lines for excursions, the people passing out ads disguised as maps, etc, etc, things are pretty chaotic getting off the ship & a ring can easily get misplaced.

Actually, to be honest.. (I and I am not going to get into a petty argument) but I did re read your post to make sure I did not misunderstand. and you did say "and if he is going to give her a ring, the port is probably not the safest place to do that"

any person that would read that would not assume you were worried about her losing it, you could just as easily lose it anywhere???? especially when you followed it up by, " I always leave my good rings in the room"

appreciate the "whoa hold on" but perhaps you should just edit your post or make your comments clearer.

xoxo

There are so many nice options on board. Be flexible and spend a day or two looking around the ship for the location that meets your taste. So many great places view the sunsets. Get w/the staff and ask for suggestions. I would get with a photographer to discreetly meet you at the place of your choosing and document it...

Can you tell us more about you and your girlfriend? Different people like different types of proposals. What's romantic for one person might be lame or over the top for another.

I'm a newlywed who took my honeymoon on Navigator at the end of May and we are both simple types who like sweet and pretty private moments. If I were looking to propose on Navigator I would probably suggest the helicopter pad as well. It was our favorite place on the ship for the peaceful sounds of the water hitting the ship and uninterrupted views of the sunset on the horizon.

As others have suggested, I'd go with night #2, though I would probably struggle waiting through that first day an a half.

We had the 5:30pm seating for dinner and by the time we were finished with dinner it was usually around 7pm and the sun was setting for a very romantic view. Walking to the pad on deck 5 (walk along deck 4 where the shuffleboard is and then up the steps at the front of the ship to get there) wouldn't be bad at all. To throw her off, take a selfie stick so she'll just think you're wanting to take some cool pictures of you all snazzed up.

On the first day, sneak away to Guest Services (go late at night if you have to or get up super early the next morning). Explain what you want to do and I bet they can work something out. Better yet, ask them for the extension to the photography director and see if they'll send a ship photographer to take pictures from around the corner when you do it.

You also might have some luck discussing this with the other people on your roll call on here. If I were sailing with you I'd get a kick out of helping you in whatever way I could. I'd go out there and set out a bottle of champagne and flowers if you ordered them ahead of time. You could also bring some of those battery powered tealight candles. If all you need is someone to go out there right before you're going be there and set things out or take pictures of you, I bet you could find someone who would enjoy that. Might even ask if anybody has a good camera and would be willing to take some pictures or video for you. I'd definitely ask at least.

Another dark horse for quiet might be the Viking Crown Lounge which was usually pretty empty when we went or you could go to the top deck all the way forward and up some stairs from the pool deck. It's a space that just has a bunch of lounge chairs and it was almost completely empty when we went but definitely so at night.

Hi everyone. I posted this on the "ask a question" board and it was suggested that I post this here as well:

I plan on proposing to my girlfriend during our upcoming 7-day cruise in September. This will be the first cruise for both of us and we really don't know what to expect. I read an older thread about proposal ideas for this same ship but I've been told that this ship has been completely renovated since then. Are there any new features on this specific ship that would be good for a proposal? I do plan on popping the question on either the first day of departure or the following day. I'm not really interested in going on a stage at the theater but I don't mind a public setting (and she wouldn't either) if that makes sense lol. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Years ago, my dad's buddy had planned a private proposal to his gf for the last night on the helipad on their first cruise.

HOWEVER, they ended up hitting it off with their tablemates that week, so he changed his mind and proposed in front of everyone and their waiter on the last night at dinner.